Airbnb Ruined 1 Trip, Is about to ruin my second.

Anthony1034
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

Airbnb Ruined 1 Trip, Is about to ruin my second.

I'm not sure how to proceed here guys, let me know what you think;

It all started the 3rd of December, I had a reservation for the next day and I get a notification my account is deactivated and the reservation is canceled. If you know about refunds I did not get that money back for a couple days, leaving me stranded a day before my trip with no where to stay and to come up with more money. 

They deactivated my account because of a matched criminal records report, I do have a record, but like their policy states they do not deactivate for anything related to marijuana possession which is all I have. Plus I never was convicted so I knew this had to of been a mistake. A very inconvenient mistake. 

Airbnb support were powerless leaving my account deactivated for 5 days, I contacted them every which way I could: Emailing all major points of contact, Calling support, Facebook, and Twitter. And finally it was reactivated with their reason being, "By error" 

I understand these systems are in place to protect hosts and I agree they should be here, but it has costs me hundreds of dollars and has almost ruined my second trip.

I was planing on booking a trip to Paris before the 4th for some dates in January, Places I was looking at our gone in even this short of period. And other places prices have gone up. I'm almost left with bottom of the barrel places people didn't want or very expensive accommodation. And this is all because of an error airbnb made. 

I just ask to be compensated and I think that's fair. I'm not the type to scream and ask for handouts, but this has been a nightmare and don't know what to do or who to talk to next, because airbnb support is not the way. 

2 Replies 2

@Anthony1034  Airbnb was definitely in the wrong here, and it would behoove them to extend a generous travel credit if they want to keep you as a customer.  But I'm not aware of any action you can take to ensure that this happens. 

Unfortunately, having a trip booked through Airbnb always carries a significant risk. Had your booking been cancelled at the last minute by your host, the most Airbnb would have offered you is a coupon worth 10% of the cost of your original booking, which would have left you in the same position.

Airbnb accommodations often offer a unique experience that's worth the risk, but travel insurance is imperative if you want to protect yourself against losses like this in the future.

They did make it right as an update!