Airbnb Search Not Showing All Properties

Jen5
Level 7
Chandler, AZ

Airbnb Search Not Showing All Properties

I observed a problem with Airbnb's search engine that I reported to the community about a month ago. The person who assisted recognized the problem and passed the issue on to Airbnb. Unfortunately, after more than a dozen communications, the people at Airbnb can't see what the problem is and it's infuriating. So I'm posting the issue here again in the hopes that a second (or third or fourth...) voice will help Airbnb recognize the issue.

So here's how to see the problem: Do a search for any zip code and enter specific travel dates (choose a 3-5 day trip). Select 1 guest and take a screen shot of the resulting map. Now change the number of guests to 6 and take a screen shot of the map. When you compare the two screen shots, what you will see is that a lot of bigger accommodations are not shown in the search for one guest. This is a problem for guests and hosts alike as it assumes that a solo traveler won't want a house for 6 people so they're not being shown those results. If a single traveler or a couple wants a nice big house and they don't see it on Airbnb, they'll go elsewhere so this is undoubtedly costing Airbnb (and hosts) lots of money.

Below are screen shots for you to compare. For some bizarre reason, nobody at Airbnb can see the difference between these screen shots even though it's clear that the map for 6 guests shows properties for $2900, $1500 and $1200 that aren't being shown to the solo traveler.

Can others in the community please save my sanity by confirming to Airbnb that this IS a problem that needs to be fixed. I can't handle any more emails from them telling me there's nothing wrong.

46 Replies 46

@Joan3

Here is more about the verified ID

What is Verified ID? - Airbnb Help Center

It's just one more layer of verification and a new badge on your profile... simple to do..

The price on the video should be in USD, my currency 🙂

Usually I will receive 3-5 inquiries per day and about 1-2 reservations... 

The second week in January of this years I got 17 reservations over the weekend and a very busy week with 3 reservations a day...

But the first two weeks on December last year I got ZERO reservations and very few inquiries.. 1 inquiry every 2-3 days...

I think it all depends on your local market and season... 

Post on the abnb Facebook page...someone will actually get in touch with you.  I had this problem last spring and it is infuriating.

You could also try messaging to their twitter account, you will get an answer but probably not a solution. I have noticed that AIRBNB is not that great at listening to hosts with problems!

This happens to our account from last October. Even we narrowed the price range to our list price, moved the map around, zoomed into the very block of the street, our property won't show up, while the other properties nearby show up. We set up the Instant Booking, our properties won't even show in that shorter list. We contacted AirBnB, it seems there customer service people are paid by how many questions they took, not how many problems they solve. 2 people, just gave us exactly the same answer: they can see our properties on their computer. Yes of course, if even AirBnB staff can't even see our properties, then the whole system must be down. Our problems is, we, CAN NOT see our properties in the search result, from our own, and our friends, multiple computers and tablets. Not if you can see it or not. But again and again, that's the only answer and help we got from AirBnB, no follow up even we replied with screenshots showing clearly our properties not showing in that block of the streets. We wonder what our service fee paid for? There is no proper customer service to really look into and solve problems. Plus, every host pays the same service fee, why some are showing some are not, is there any privilage thing going on? or priority listing etc that we don't know of?

Very frustrating.

Hi Tim,

I presume of course you listing is not "Snoozed" ? All my listings went off once - it took me a while to find that they were all snoozed, I didn't snooze them so presumed it was a glitch in the system, I now frequently check that all listings are displayed. I guess you have already checked this and sorry don't have any further suggestions for you.

Hope you get your problem solved.

Mike

I posted the original problem and Airbnb was not helpful in resolving it. And now I'm experiencing the issue from the traveler side. I'm searching properties in other countries for one person and it isn't showing me larger properties that are within my price range. It's quite annoying.

try searching for more people, then when you find a place you like try and book just for one? 

The reason I posted is because I shouldn't have to search that way and other travelers would never know they should search that way. It's a problem that Airbnb really needs to fix. If they feel there are too many listings coming up in searh results (which isn't even the case some of the time), they should give us the option to remove listings we know we're not interested in.

We have an even worse problem here. From some time last October, our properties won't show up in the search result. Because it's been a while, we tried all the tricks people have mentioned here and other sites online. Move the map, zoom into the very block, clean browser cache and cookies, log out, etc., tried on our friends computers and devices, they just don't show up. We set as instant booking, they don't even show up in that much shorter and specific list!

We so far tried ways to contact AirBnB, got response twice from them, with exactly the same answer: I tried to search for you properties on here and I saw them, here are the screenshots.

The problem is: WE DON'T SEE THEM! not you! If the airbnb staff can't even see any property, then the while system must be screwed up. And no further response, after we replied with multiple screenshots from our side.

Problem still goes on. And both our properties were very popular till last October.

We know a bit of computer and coding stuff. The whole zoom in etc shows there is a condition attached on the searches, if ..., then...

We cant' tell exactly what is going on, but that sets some priorities for which properties show up first etc., and that screwed up the search result for many of us, and now we can see for the guests as well.

How about AirBnB, for you to show all the properties available? If there are many, people will zoom into the smaller area, still, they will see all the available properties on that street or block, without AirBnB pre-select for them?

And as hosts, we would love to see our properties showing up all the time, from OUR OWN browsers, we love to see how our properties and how we are doing ALL THE TIME, logged in or not.

That sounds really bad Tim - much worse a problem than mine. despite my problem not beaing as serious as yours AIRBNB still won't make the effort to solve it, it looks to me like they have no interest whatsoever in even attempting to help customers sort these problems out, I have given up contacting them about it. And yet on some other issues they are nothing but quick and helpful..........

Rhys8
Level 1
Lane Cove, Australia

This problem is still a problem.

I own a property which is on AirBnB and is impossible to find in any search results, even if I try every potential search combination I can think of. There are several problems:

1) Searching for property in Copacabana NSW Australia, shows results for Macmasters Beach, Copacabana, and Avoca Beach, which equals more than 300 results. If I select Copacabana, the results should be for Copacabana!!!! If this "out of area" selection is part of the AirBnB algorithm it is seriously flawed.

2) The property is marked as Pet Friendly. If you select Pet Friendly in More Filters in the Copacabana area, there are only 3 results, none of which are my property. This is such a specific search criteria the results should override any algorithm.

3) If no search criteria are selected, my property does not show up on the map. The only time my property shows up on the map is if you go to More Filters and select Bedrooms +1 or more with 1 Guest. It is a 4 bed house. This makes zero sense. No other filter criteria makes any change to the search results, i.e. no result. If AirBnB is agressively overriding search results with results they believe will book more easily, they are deceiving both their client and customer bases alike.

I don't merely want to see mixed results, I want to see ALL results. This issue affects hosts and guests. As a guest, if there's a bigger property available in my price range, OF COURSE I want to see it as a search result. If a room in someone's house costs the same as a whole house, who wouldn't want to see that? I'm really baffled that people don't see this as a major problem with the search.

I get far more inquiries and bookings through VRBO and that's what makes me think that people who aren't finding properties on Airbnb are going to VRBO instead. If anybody can see who on Airbnb benefits from hiding larger properties from smaller parties, I'd love to hear who it is.

Joe55
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

To make things even more strange, search results (with the same criteria) show up differently on two computers! My girlfriend and I are often searching (sitting) together, but using two computers. The results we have between us a VERY different. I would suggest Airbnb do a bit of homework to make sure we all get the same results - its very annoying.

Eric172
Level 1
Bellingham, WA

yes I have this problem as well my 4 bedroom will not show up for anything less. this is a problem for all the reasons you have mentioned already 

Nix1
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

I hope no one minds me adding my problem to this as it is quite similar. I have been hosting for some years and have fantastic reviews, am a super host and most reviews are 5 star. As my bookings have almost disappeared I decided to do a search. I put my town in the search engine, made it for 2 people and put the right price in. I added dates when I knew the room was empty and did a search.  I finally sound myself on page 10. I don't mind that but would like my guests to be able to do a one click on the map and see all the properties in that town.  I know that a lot of my guests come to visit their family so they search via the map. My question is on an iPad (not sure about laptop) why does the map only show the rooms on that page. When you go to page 2 the properties are different. I think it is vital that guests can put in the town and then see a map of all the properties in that town. They can then enlarge the map to the specific area and see what is available in that area.