Airbnb allowed review from guest who stole, threatened me, and police had to be called

Kimberley59
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Airbnb allowed review from guest who stole, threatened me, and police had to be called

Airbnb is not only not protecting me in a very bad situation, but they also allowed the same guest to book and do even worse to another host, and allowed this guest to leave a false negative review of my listing.

A guest booked for one person on my listing that has a security camera (clearly stated on the listing). Male guest arrived with two more men and immediately located and disabled security camera. After being asked multiple times, by myself and Airbnb, to turn security camera back on and update reservation per exact guests staying, guest refused and police had to be called.  It turned out they had 10-15 people in my unit, they smoked in non-smoking unit, damaged and stole, and then they physically threatened me outside the building when they were finally leaving.  I was in contact with airbnb throughout the incident, but then the contact dropped off from Airbnb.  I have been contacting Airbnb repeatedly by phone and email for nearly 3 weeks and nothing has been resolved.  They say someone will call me back, but did not.  Sometimes when I call in, the phone call just drops while I'm on hold.  They pass me from case manager to case manager, and claim that tickets weren't made before now.  From today, they are telling me that they will not remove the guest's 1 star review that is entirely lies.  Of course a guest who is involved in illegal activity and has to be removed by police is not going to leave a positive review for the person who called the police on them!

As well, Airbnb allowed this guest to book with another host after the incident, and that host reported in their review that the guest damaged their place, had multiple people in the unit, broke into another unit in the buildling and stole valuables there, and that other tenants feared for their safety.  They also called the police.

Meanwhile, this guest is still able to book on Airbnb, and I'm left being futher victimized by Airbnb.

25 Replies 25
Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Kimberley59  I read all your posts about this terrible situation and I feel so sorry for you and how this must be making you feel.  We just came back from a 10 day trip which ended in Seattle where we flew home from.  Ourselves we do not host locals or for less than 2 days.  Our beautifully restored historic mansion was once divided up into 5 apartments and reported to have been a “crack” house.  I’m pretty sure your place was rented as a get together to use illegal drugs.  Be careful as people will even use a place to cook meth.  By gosh if they had arrived and your place smelled like smoke they would have gotten a free stay too!  I took a screen shot of the guests picture and they will never be staying at our place.  I’m pretty sure after the two reviews they will be removed...hopefully!!!  Yvonna (cohost)

@Thomas1033 it was an instant book so I didn't get to look into who they were beforehand. Airbnb hasn't removed this guest yet and claims they won't remove the reviews even if they do remove the guest. 

@Kimberley59 We are brand new to Airbnb, but I am super eager to learn from all of you veteran hosts.  I do feel a bit like I am playing a board game without completely understanding the rules of the game...Here are my questions: 

~Where can I find a phone number if I want to talk with a REAL person at Airbnb?

~Instant booking sounds like a trap for hosts. Should I stay away from Instant Booking since I would like to read guest profiles first?

~Our accommodations include a spacious room and private bathroom in our primary residence. Have you ever hosted guests without being on the premises? For instance, we will need to be out of town during a guests stay with us. 

@Kimberley59 

Calm down! Take a breath and count... And perhaps - take a break for a day or two.

I think that we - as hosts - have to support Kimberley not only by telling him - How sorry we are about the situation he got in... This might happen to everyone of us. I am interested to know what suggestions some of you have concerning our security.  

I am against self check-in, I am against guests who refuse to do their ID with Airbnb. I do not like guests not responding when I message them. I also think that Airbnb must take SECURITY very seriously as many hosts might just decide to leave or delist. There was a special box previously - when we were writing the review for guests - "Do you have something special to tell Airbnb" - well, I have forgotten how exactly it was named - but it was a very helpful one. Perhaps Airbnb has to put this box again - so that hosts to be able to write there about serious complains about guests - and the staff from Airbnb readily to take action against such guests.

I also think that we must be granted the right to take guest,s ID - just as they do this in hotels - and brokers and tenants when hosts are having permanent tenant. 

@Lilly28  Put in your house rules "Every guest has to show his photo ID at the arrival " and just do it. Write down his personal info or take a photo of it. Nobody can force you to give your keys to the complete stranger.  In some countries (Croatia included) this is mandatory and I am glad it is. It should be mandatory everywhere

@Lilly28 the guest's profile shows they verified with government ID but so far Airbnb has refused to provide that info to the police. I thought that was a protective measure but now I consider it a joke. 

Have the police requested that info?

Did you record the guest's full name (note,  there's no guarantee the name provided matches ID,   I try to research guests before they arrive to verify they are whom they say they are)?

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Social media??

Newspaper?

The Daily Mail loves these kind stories.

They really let down the second host, by allowing him to book when he had already committed crimes in your place. We are not talking about an annoying guest who leaves his dirty socks everywhere, but someone who could be potentially dangerous.

It’s very hard for me to understand why Airbnb lets these kind of things happen. 

Marlow0
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Please contact a local reporter at the Seattle Times and tell them this story.  I’m sure there will be many interested people in the media!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kimberley59 What a terrible story.  I felt violated just reading it - I can only imagine how you feel.

Yg's profile is gone, btw.

I wonder if he has fabricated more claims to Airbnb - if they've reached out to him at all.  Is he claiming discrimination?  If so, be very, very careful.  I would even get a lawyer on board now.  You cannot be treated like this.

Tamar46
Level 2
Tbilisi, GE

Гостья дала мне 1 звезду, и она написала ложь крупным шрифтом . Это большая проблема. Владелец не защищен от клеветы . Сейчас пользователи видят ее обзор и не бронируют мою квартиру, как раньше.