Airbnb allows host to break fees and deposit terms

Bartłomiej3
Level 2
Wrocław, Poland

Airbnb allows host to break fees and deposit terms

A host has hidden the additional fees and deposit in the 'House Rules' description (>300 EUR), expecting them to be paid in cash. I missed it, when I've made a reservation :(, but this is against Airbnb's terms (6.3 (...) Any Guest Fees are included in the Total Fees collected by Airbnb Payments. 14. Prohibited Activities: (..) request, accept or make any payment for Listing Fees outside of the Airbnb Platform or Airbnb Payments). I was informed by Airbnb support that Airbnb has an agreement with the host and is enabling the host to do so, which is contrary to the terms of service I have accepted. I feel lost. I can't cancel my reservation, because I'll lost my money. Have you seen anything like this? What can I do in this case? It was my first Airbnb usage...

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bartłomiej3 

This listing is probably a commercial one (like an accomodation on a holiday park) ? They are allowed to do this, but only if it is part of there terms (the terms used for all the guests on the Holiday park). I saw the topic on this community before.

best regard,

Emiel

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Bartłomiej3 

Could you post a link to the listing please? Will be easier to advise if we can see the listing description. 

Bartłomiej3
Level 2
Wrocław, Poland

This is interhome commercial listing. I can't see their terms. The information about additionally fee is only in 'house rules'.

@Susan17 

Sure. This is link to the listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16373438?source_impression_id=p3_1571595392_NSaM%2FMYFLyBK0lJE

@Bartłomiej3  the second sentence of the description is "Additional service charges may have to be paid locally on-site, see house rules" -- is that new since you booked?

And it is a commercial host with many properties. They also have the "super strict" cancellation policy, only available to select hosts. I'm sorry you find yourself in this position, but it looks like this host is in fact playing by Airbnb's rules, so you are probably out of luck. (It's really important to read all house rules for any listing before booking.)

The sentence is not new. But I understood that these charges are for additional service (like laundry or sth like that)...

And I know this is my fault that I missed 'house rules' before booking, but I thought that all required fees are charged by Airbnb. 

No, it's not new, @Lisa723. Interhome have always had the cash deposit requirement on their Airbnb listings, across all their different accounts/profiles - as with the majority of commercial operators on the platform. (Unlike small individual hosts who'd be bounced straight off the site if they dared ask for as much as red cent in cash deposit to cover their potential losses, of course)

But with 33,000 bookable homes in 31 countries to offer, mega-hosts like Interhome get to call their own shots, don't they? 

Wow. Those are some house rules..... really feels anti-AirBNB to me. I guess this is what at least some of the future looks like. No warm and fuzzies here!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bartłomiej3 

Why use Airbnb to book an interhome accommodation ? Book it at Interhome ! 

The "houserules" are almost  a complete set of Interhome terms and IMO it is rather ridiculous to expect from an  Airbnb guests to read it all. Ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation, as it is a violation of their own terms. "Houserules" is not the place to provide (additional) Terms of Service to consumers. I think it is also in conflict with EU regulations.

@Emiel1 

100% correct. 

I'll try to do this. Thank you!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Bartłomiej3  It says on the first page of the listing that additional local fees may be collected, so I think that you are probably out of luck.  I believe,  but am not sure, that some countries a local tax is collected and can be collected in cash.  Is the fee so large that you would really want to cancel the reservation?  Perhaps if you REALLY lean on airbnb they will give a coupon or otherwise provide a discount out of their own $$.

Thanks. I did not expected some basic fees like cleaning and deposit in 'house rules'. If I cancel the reservation, I'll lost 400 EUR, so it is not simple choice for me. I'll try to continue discussion with Airbnb in this case...

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bartłomiej3 
@please read all listings and rules before booking- this is very important as it sets reasonable expectations. 
regarding the listing it says - 100% refund upto 60 days before check in (can’t add screen shot now) but please also refer to your reservation confirmation email.

thanks,

yadira 🙂