Airbnb and Planning Permission in the UK - North Yorkshire

Andrew2542
Level 2
Tadcaster, United Kingdom

Airbnb and Planning Permission in the UK - North Yorkshire

Hi folks

Does anyone have any experience of being asked by the local planning authority (Selby District Council in this case) to apply for planning permission for a "change of use" where a whole property is let via Airbnb?

It is my understanding that many councils are only just starting to get their heads round this. My council has decided that planning permission must be applied for retrospectively.

I just wondered what experience folks have had.

regards

Andrew, North Yorkshire, England, UK

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrew2542 This reminds me I must chase a question I asked South Derbyshire District Council many months ago. If is not at all clear if planning permission is needed to run a STR so at least you are getting clarity from Selby. Is your property register for business rates? We converted ours to these last year and that was also a challenging process.

Andrew2542
Level 2
Tadcaster, United Kingdom

Hi there - yes, we converted to business rates last year as well and it was a simple procedure with Selby. The Small Business Rate Relief worked to our advantage and they sent us a rather large cheque for refunded Council Tax.

Sally935
Level 2
Sandycroft, United Kingdom

Hi,

I actually live in my property.

Do you know if I need planning permission as my local council doesn't seem to know!

Thanking you in advance.

Sally 

@Sally935 I don't believe you do as you are effectively just taking in a lodger

Sally935
Level 2
Sandycroft, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thank you. 😀

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrew2542 and, of course, business rates opens up a whole new world of Covid grants from Rishi Sunak.....