Airbnb app

Answered!
Mariceli-Antonia0
Level 2
Mao, Dominican Republic

Airbnb app

I can't install the Airbnb app on my laptop but it's the only way that Airbnb lets me measure the Internet speed for guests. I don't own a smartphone. What can I do?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mariceli-Antonia0  I'm not sure you can do anything about that. But a lot of hosts don't think it's a great idea to post the internet speed at all, because if for some reason the guests aren't getting that speed, it could be cause for complaint and refund demands. There are many reasons a speed might not always be accurate- it can depend on the number of devices being used at the same time, provider issues, local outages, etc. 

I guess if hosts live somewhere that their internet is totally reliable and high speed, it wouldn't be risky, and if they cater to digital nomads who are totally reliant on it, those guests would need to know that the internet meets their needs, but that certainly isn't the case where I live. My internet is pretty good, but not lightning speed, and the signal can go out occasionally without warning. So I personally would never make speed promises, just give guests a general idea of what to expect. 

And in that regard, while you are not supposed to post speeds on your listing that aren't obtained from the app, that doesn't mean you can't tell guests in a message "This is the speed I normally get on my laptop."

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mariceli-Antonia0  I'm not sure you can do anything about that. But a lot of hosts don't think it's a great idea to post the internet speed at all, because if for some reason the guests aren't getting that speed, it could be cause for complaint and refund demands. There are many reasons a speed might not always be accurate- it can depend on the number of devices being used at the same time, provider issues, local outages, etc. 

I guess if hosts live somewhere that their internet is totally reliable and high speed, it wouldn't be risky, and if they cater to digital nomads who are totally reliant on it, those guests would need to know that the internet meets their needs, but that certainly isn't the case where I live. My internet is pretty good, but not lightning speed, and the signal can go out occasionally without warning. So I personally would never make speed promises, just give guests a general idea of what to expect. 

And in that regard, while you are not supposed to post speeds on your listing that aren't obtained from the app, that doesn't mean you can't tell guests in a message "This is the speed I normally get on my laptop."

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mariceli-Antonia0 You could include a picture of your computer speed test. Not ideal but better than nothing if you want to show a good internet speed. The picture on our listing was taken before we upgraded the speed (as was the Airbnb speed test) so we are underpromising on speed for the reasons outlined in @Sarah977 's post.

Mariceli-Antonia0
Level 2
Mao, Dominican Republic

Thank you for your excellent ideas!