Airbnb appears to be everything about guests and hosts are mistreated. Anyone else?

Rhonda68
Level 2
Fort Wayne, IN

Airbnb appears to be everything about guests and hosts are mistreated. Anyone else?

I am finding Airbnb doesn’t support hosts at all. If I file a claim for damages, the guest gets away with the damages without paying and the guest can give horrible reviews. In turn, the reviews gives the host an unfriendly slap from Airbnb about the property being substandard. Anyone else?

23 Replies 23
Julie1076
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

Our experience has been different, airbnb has taken our side on multiple accounts when it comes to cancelling problematic guests and dealing with refunds and such. I also appreciate the fact that we can leave a public response to a guests negative review, therefore we always get the last word in. Have not dealt with damages claims however. From our understanding it's best to have a deposit in place to make such claims, they apparently go by much more smoothly. The 1 million host guarentee on the other hand I've heard critisicm about. Just our 2 cents, I believe damages should be more easily obtained (even without a deposit) as I'm sure its more of a rarity for hosts to falsify damage claims than it is for guests to deny them. Especially if it's only a few times in a year people request them...

Thank you for your input! Not at all my experience. This has happened 3-4 times to me. Very tired of it!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Julie0

My experience has been similar to yours. So far, Airbnb has always taken my side when I've had problematic guests to deal with, most recently cancelling a booking from a non responsive guest and paying me in full. 

I was also worried about what would happen if I ever needed to claim for damages as you hear so many negative experiences on these forums. However, when I had to do this for the first time recently (guest broke my expensive front door lock and did not want to accept responsibility), Airbnb refunded me the full amount for a replacement. I have no idea if they took this money from the guest or from their own insurance as no details were given, but the cost was more than my deposit.

Denis229
Level 2
Málaga, Spain

I agree with you. For example, recently my guest gave me a low rating for the location. This is the first time when a guest for two years did not like the location. He did not see my house at once and he had to ask two people. Because of this, my overall rating immediately declined. I did not deceive: the address is exact, there is a map, a manual instruction on how to get there. Is it my problem that he did not have the Internet and he could not use the maps in the phone? Airbnb teach me what to advise people in case they do not have the Internet? and then lower the rating, which is very difficult to earn.

i have the same thing happen after the guest brought in other guests to use the hot tub till around midnight.

got a one star after I had to tell them to be quiet.

most frustrating.

I relate completely. If a claim for damages is filed, a review shouldn’t be allowed. Airbnb needs to change!

@Rhonda68  If a review is clearly retalitory for the claim, it is against Air BNB content policy.  Perhaps you should contact Air BNB to have the review removed.  It is a chance.

this just happened to me and I was so upset....it was 1AM and we have pool hours posted and liability sheets to sign.  I was really upset when she said I yelled at her??  I would NEVER yell and they were clearly drunk and breaking the rules.  Big Bummer!!

I had a similar problem. My location shows up on the map. My guest wanted a very specific area so he proceeded to lie in his review. He behaved well and was respectful during his stay so I was shocked to see that he lied after he left. Now Airbnb puts his bad review up as my main review and my bookings declined. They don't care that he lied, I wouldn't mind if they didn't use his review as my main review, he wasn't my first or last guests. I was really happy with airbnb and now I see why hosts are complaining about airbnb. 

David122
Level 4
Santa Fe, NM

yes,  I have had an experience of 2 guests bringing other guests into the hot tub.

They were loud till 11:30 pm.

neighbors complained... 

Because I went out to tell them to be quiet and loose the extra unregisterd guests they gave me a one star review .  They spilled drinks in the apartment with attracted sugar ants.

really difficult situation

Yes, it is. If we as hosts file a damage claim, a guest shouldn’t be allowed to do a review. Simple. But, Airbnb is about the guests not the hosts. 

Alan138
Level 5
South Carolina, United States

AirBNB has become a super huge corporation and from my experience their support services for hosts to remove obviously retaliatory reviews is simply non-existent. There are far too many hosts and guests and AirBNB makes way to much money to care anymore about a few hosts that lose their ability to get bookings and earn a living. It is typical in corporate America that when companies no longer need customers to continue to make their fortunes, the level of service goes down. Makes room for competition to start up and steal their market share.

If you get retalitory reviews that AirBNB will not remove and it has shut down your ability to secure bookings .. delete your account entirely and rebuild a new one and start over. Before you know it you will again be a superhost and in the meantime you will no longer be losing money because AirBNB will not help you and remove obvious retalitory reviews.

Hans152
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Today our Ukrainian guest arrived completely drunk and are extremely loud. I am afraid they will cmpletely destroy our house in Amsterdam. I have called the local Amsterdam helpdesk at +31205222333 but they do not help. They gave an international help nr. in the USA 001458005959 but that Nr. does not excist. What can I do to get support from AirBnB before everything gets out of control here?

@Hans152 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)