Airbnb applied host penalty on a COVID-19 impacted cancellation

Answered!

Airbnb applied host penalty on a COVID-19 impacted cancellation

Last March 15, we had a reservation for two weeks. At the time that we got the booking, we also learned that the building admin had decided to unilaterally impose a ban on all incoming short term-stay guests.

We agreed with the guest that the booking should be cancelled at the time and so we immediately facilitated that and a full refund for the guest.

A month after, I got a message from Airbnb support stating that they were going to impose host cancellation penalties on us for having had this cancelled booking.

This booking cancellation was clearly COVID-19 related. But despite many attempts on my part to explain this to Airbnb support, it looks like they are dead-set on applying host cancellation penalties based on a mechanical and robotic application of rules.

I think this is most unfair and just adds serious insult to injuries for us as a superhost who has worked hard to give guests excellent experiences. At this time, our income is already zero for the past month, and I see so far no end to the present financial burdens we will have to face. The last thing I need is an additional slap in the face from Airbnb for a COVID-19 booking cancellation.

1 Best Answer
Laura4111
Level 3
Salt Point, NY

@Lanie948March 15 was clearly after the WHO determined a pandemic and the extenuating circumstances policy was instituted for Covid 19. I agree with @Paul60 , keep fighting and don't give up. This was clearly out of your control.

Here is what the latest note on my dashboard says:

Cancel charge-free by April 30
Whether you’re unable to host or want to open your calendar for longer stays, you can cancel 2020 reservations booked before March 15 without charges or impact to your Superhost status. Just be sure to cancel by April 30. "

If it can be done now, it should have been acceptable earlier. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think this might be a case of unfortunate timing, @Lanie948, and the fact this was your building admin who made the rule, and not your government? It's a tough one, so maybe try your luck once things get back to some sort of normality?

I don't see a 'This booking was cancelled' on your reviews, so you may have got away with it?

Good luck, and stay safe.

Yes, it was admin that made the rule and not government. You can see it is quite a difficult one. But unfortunately support does not seem to think so or care.  If there was a host penalty strike on my account, would that be definitely showing a review?

Melbourne0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

It does seem highly inconsiderate of airbnb support to add insult to injury to a superhost under clearly very difficult circumstances and impacted by COVID-19 situation. One can only hope Airbnb will choose to reconsider the robotic application of policy in this case.

Rebecca468
Level 2
Pasig, Philippines

It is hard work to be a superhost and congratulations on making it albeit only for a brief while as Airbnb have chosen out of their own will and whim to remove your hard-earned status. It clearly benefits no one that a host under these circumstances is to be hit with host penalties.

Conrado19
Level 1
Manila, Philippines

It seems Airbnb have lack of understanding for how difficult it is to host during these times particularly when lots of confusion and conflicting policies are being set by admin and government. It sure seems to be too easy to just penalize hosts for cancellations not caused by them.

Fatima296
Level 3
Philippines

This is very sad and disheartening. I hope you keep safe and well anyway.

Sabiniana0
Level 1
Manila, Philippines

Unfortunately, Airbnb is just too often out of touch with hosts.

I just cancelled all my bookings for the later part of the year. I had not cancelled them, as i wanted to see how this situation was gonna play out, i'm sure the guests where doing the same thing, as no one had cancelled either. These cancellations were based on the current policy that all reservations booked before March 15 had to be cancelled before April 30 to avoid cancellation penalties. I would have thought that this date may have been extended.

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Lanie948  It sounds like this falls under standard extenuating circumstances policy.  Just keep insisting and do not accept some half wittted student staff trying to impose a decision outside of policy on you.  Insist insist and insist.  If they close the message thread then open another.  A lot of battling but you will get there in the end.

Airbnb are Snakes.
Laura4111
Level 3
Salt Point, NY

@Lanie948March 15 was clearly after the WHO determined a pandemic and the extenuating circumstances policy was instituted for Covid 19. I agree with @Paul60 , keep fighting and don't give up. This was clearly out of your control.

Here is what the latest note on my dashboard says:

Cancel charge-free by April 30
Whether you’re unable to host or want to open your calendar for longer stays, you can cancel 2020 reservations booked before March 15 without charges or impact to your Superhost status. Just be sure to cancel by April 30. "

If it can be done now, it should have been acceptable earlier. Good luck.
Alvaro312
Level 2
Catalonia, Spain

Tell them it was due to landlord or legal issues, agents should cancel without penalties, no docs required.

Larry369
Level 1
Peoria, AZ

Can someone help me. I have a Paris reservation in August. I just got a message that Air France has cancelled my flight. Can I get a full refund and how. I have not been able to get ahold of anyone at Airbnb. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Larry369 You can try claiming transport difficulties. Alternatively wait and see if Airbnb extend their cancellation window until August. Failing both its a claim on your travel insurance  I am afraid

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Larry369 

Is there only ONE aircraft that flies to Paris? If not, book another and don't make your Paris host pay for the problem Air France has caused. The existence of any transport to Paris justifies that you should lose your cancellation fee. There are NO travel restrictions in place - so why should you get a refund?