Airbnb ask to refund the early check-in charge

Huyen4
Level 1
Hanoi, Vietnam

Airbnb ask to refund the early check-in charge

Hi everyone, 

I need your helps!

We have a couple came from Australia and I could see she is an Airbnb Super Host. So she wrote us an email before arrive and asked for an early check-in. I wrote back " the early check-in carries 50% 1 night room charge and subject to availability", she didn't reply. Then she showed up at our place very early morning at 5AM (our check-in time is 2pm) and asked our Reception for an early check-in. The receptionist informed her about earl check-in charge and she aggreed, then he made an agreement form which the guest already paid and signed. 

I didn't managed to came check on this couple everyday (they stayed 3 nights) but on the last day, I saw them having the breakfast in our restaurant without paying. Our staff were trying to talk to them but they did not stay a word.

She checked out and wrote a very bad review about us, also contacted Airbnb to ask for a refund. Airbnb support team then wrote us an email (and calls) that they going to refund the guest (by deduct money from our Airbnb account). The reason is "Airbnb not allow the guest to pay anything offsite -every payment should be through Airbnb and must be stated on the listing". The point is I have stated very clear on the Message Thread about 50% early check in charge and subject to availability, also the guest did aggreed to pay and signed the agreement. I have sent these document to Airbnb, still they said these are invalid. I also wonder how could we state all the extra services like laundry service, drinks, tickets etc, these extra charges are often arise during their stay. 

Does anyone experience or know about this problem? It would be very much appreciate if you could give me some advices. I hope my English is understandable since it's not my mothertougue language 🙂

Many thanks,

Huyen

9 Replies 9
Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

I personally don't think you should be on airbnb. You are a HOTEL, you do not provide a home sharing experience. You also seem to overlook the fact that airbnb told you multiple times that outside agreements and services will not be honored by airbnb. If you want to run a hotel, why don't you just do that without posting it on aribnb and misleading the public. You are actually not parcitipating in homesharing, instead you are an outside business layered with another business on top of it. It's totally acceptable for a hotel to charge for breakfast, laundry, drinks, tickets, but not for a homesharing host. You should list your hotel on a different website such as travelocity, bookings, etc. 

Thank you for the comment. On Airbnb there is an option for you to list your place as a B&B and we are one of them. The fact is there are plenty of hotels listed their rooms on Airbnb and lately Airbnb even accept tour listings 🙂

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Many Hotels and BnB's list rooms on ABB, nothing wrong in that.

Also the Resolution Center was the obvious place to post additional charges and receive them.

I do not have a situation where I have had to make charges outiside ABB but have seen many threads on here where people do, taxes in the SU is the most common one I have come across.

David

Thank you very much David!

@Huyen4

I am not sure there is anything you can do but prepare for the future.  Airbnb do have strict rules about off-site cash payments, so even if a guest agrees to pay the fee in cash and signs an agreement form, they can still get the cash back if they tell Airbnb that they made an off-site payment to the host.

Check out the resolution center there might be a way for you to charge for early check-in fees.

Tickets, restaurant, drinks and tours are nothing to do with Airbnb,  so not applicable

B&B was probably the most appropriate category, does not mean you provide Breakfast.

You can charge what you want for extras, does not mean you can get it paid through ABB.

David

Yes,  you are correct. B&B does not mean you provide breakfast, but most people think it does.  But, on one of her listings it is checked as an amenity, thus many expect it at no extra cost even if it says it is a charge.

Thank Agne you for the comments, appreiated that.