Airbnb bedbug problem

Answered!
Filippo12
Level 4
Durham, NC

Airbnb bedbug problem

While staying at a Airbnb rental in Ithaca, NY from June 19th 2016 to July 5th 2016 I started developing a severe skin rush on my face, neck, back, arms and legs. As you have seen from the pictures, my body that day became quickly covered with about 100 to 200 red spots that were painful and itchy. The red spots on my skin soon became blisters, forming a red liquid inside.

That same day I had to seek urgent medical attention. The doctor told me it was probably due to bedbugs, so I decided to do a visual inspection of the bed in the room where I was staying. By just removing the sheets from the bed in the room I immediately noticed the presence of several dozens of live Bedbugs and (as you can see from the pictures I took that same day of these insects and which I submitted to Airbnb) many of them were fully grown and developed adults.

As soon as I realised that my room was infested by bedbugs, I informed the host, who called a pest control company and I then contacted also Airbnb to inform them of the situation. In the following days, Airbnb cancelled my reservation and provided me with a new accommodation in Ithaca for the rest of my stay. I also had to sanitise all my clothes and personal belonging and get rid of several of my items which could not be sanitised in this process or which were too severely damaged by the bedbug infestation because I feared to spread the insects somewhere else.

On the insurance policies page, Airbnb says that it does not provide insurance coverage neither compensation for damage or injuries for bedbug infestation. Also, since Airbnb simply canceled my reservation, I was not able to leave any comment on the host or the rental, and I know for a fact that he is still renting rooms in his apartment.

I think those policies are unfair, since I was not allowed to receive compensation and I was not even able to comment on the host to let other people know about the risk in booking at this place. I think Airbnb should change this policy.

1 Best Answer
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Filippo12  You 100% have the right to leave a review since you stayed there. I would be talking to the higher ups at airbnb about that one. 

I had a guest stay who airbnb cancelled their reservation for breaking a house rule and they were still able to leave a review.

Sounds like someone messed up and took that option away from you. 

Good luck and hope your next airbnb experience is much better!

View Best Answer in original post

68 Replies 68
Jenny1160
Level 2
Durham, NC

I have had bed bugs at AirBnB's not once, but twice. I'm severely allergic to the anesthetic the bugs use to numb the the skin when they're biting, and I feel it as soon as they start to dig in. I discovered my "super power" when I moved to New York City many moons ago and dealt with it pretty soon after arriving. I just know within an hour or two if bed bugs are present. 

That said, I can tell you with certainty that bed bugs are everywhere. I've gotten them in two AirBnB's in literal opposite sides of the country and in two hotels, equally situated. The first time I got them, I dealt directly with the host, because I heard about AirBnB's less-than-optimal dealings when it came to bed bugs and he happened to be a nice guy - full refund, gave us some cash for a hotel and was grateful we alerted him so he could deal with it. He had the exterminators there before we even left. The second time, however, the owner was shocked and ready to blame (it must be the worst phone call if you're a host) and they didn't give us a full refund (even though we had to drive two hours to a hotel at 4 AM) so we got AirBnB involved. They did nothing and just yelled at me (literally) for trying to work with the host instead of them. I wish I had advice, other than don't freak out if it happens to you, buy some Deciduous Earth Food Grade (I carry some in a sealed TSA-approved container everywhere I go, no joke) and hope you have a good host who will listen. The track record with AirBnB is just too spotty on the topic. 

Bed bugs are almost inevitable these days - sometimes you won't even know if they're there if it's a light infestation and the bugs are young (unless we share an allergy). For that reason, AirBnB needs to update their policy ASAP. Regular extermination should be mandatory, hotel transfers and full refunds need to be paid. It's a hazard, and it's exacerbating the problem massively. Not to mention it can easily ruin a whole trip for a guest - pleasure or otherwise. 

JUST dealt with that this weekend.  Couldn't find "bedbug" listed anywhere in policies, etc.  TONs of photos and off to alternate hotel reservations within 30 min for a 6 member family on a hospital trip.

May not be Covid, but talk about "Extenuating Circumstances"  This time of less travel would be GREAT to step the mystery shopper/ host inspection visits.

All I got was the host asking why we were canceling after checking in... we'll see

We're currently having an issue with Airbnb dealing with a bed bug problem. They've basically left us out to dry, what am I supposed to do here? I'm currently going through telephone hell in trying to get somebody on the phone that will actually be able to help me. Is there any outlet for us?

@Jenny1160  " I can tell you with certainty that bed bugs are everywhere."

What an absurd statement to make. Airbnb is an international platform and I highly doubt that you've been "everywhere". I'm 70 years old and I have never had bedbugs anywhere I've ever lived (which encompasses 4 different countries), whether it was a rental or a house I owned, nor have I ever had bedbugs in my present home, nor any guest in the almost 4 years of hosting my private guest room who has complained of being bitten, and it's highly doubtful that just means no one is sensitive to them. 

You sound like a real charmer, Sarah. 

Rich2872
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I am a host, and I had bedbug in my place. I see a lot of comments blaming host... however it is the GUESTS who bring them in, unbeknownst to the host. What's worse is that it costs THOUSANDS to get rid of them, and Airbnb does not cover this. If a guest came in and caused $3,000 damage breaking things, logically they should pay for it. The host should not have be severely impacted financially. Also the guest who discovers the bugs should be put up in a hotel, at Airbnb expense. Hosts are not always big corporations, they are regular folk like me. 

Sorry and I do feel for you but the bottom line is you made the choice to rent your property for financial gain. Just like any other business, you have at a minimum a moral obligation to be vigilant for any kind of potential problem affecting the safety and health of your guests like bed bugs, gas leaks, etc. And if they are found, to promptly remedy the issue. I’d recommend a thorough inspection after every guest, so if it becomes an issue again you catch them while they are few and easy to remove. If you don’t and someone gets hurt you are more likely to get sued and lose all the more income. It pays to do the right thing. Once you have bed bugs there is no choice, doing nothing insures they only get worse and cost you more. It sucks but as they say, it’s “part of the cost of doing business.” It isn’t just income and profit but also a list of headaches and unforeseen outgoing costs like any other business. 

Matheus134
Level 1
Pompano Beach, FL

I also have experienced bed bugs in a stay.

**. At this location. Host advised it was nothing fancy amd I was alright with that as long as it was clean and organized. As soon as I arrived I seen that it was not cleaned. Heavy dust webs on ceilings, dirty shower with visible mold and mildew. All they did was plug up multiple febreeze airwicks to make it smell fresh and clean. The worst part was waking up at 4am with ankles bit by bedbugs and/or fleas. When I addressed it to host and stated a would like a partial refund for the stay the host leaves a review on my account stating “ beware, he will look for any pitty reason for a free place to stay”, like being eating up by bed bugs is pitty . Honestly the most unsanitary place I have ever seen and really shows how lazy the host is. Very cheap solution to fix the problem but they would rather slander a guest then sobre bare minimum to provide a safe and clean place for guests. I regret not leaving a public’s review with a one star and stating the bed bugs because I figured a private message and photos can help the host save face and provide a better experience for future guests. Like I said host is too lazy and should not be listing places in those conditions to people.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Melissa1891
Level 1
Gatineau, Canada

I stayed at an airbnb recently in Toronto and they had bed bugs. My partner and I woke up with itchy bites all over that we still have scars from almost three weeks later. Had to wash/dry everything and throw out a couple things like my headphones. Tried to contact airbnb but they haven't been helpful at all and I'm skeptical anything will be done.

Talked to a pest control inspector (had an inspection done just in case at my own expense) and he said to only stay in hotels. They have routine checks for bed bugs and better policies. Won't be booking with Airbnb again!