Airbnb business property taxes not TOT

Andrea164
Level 3
Manchester, CA

Airbnb business property taxes not TOT

My county assessor issued me a Form 157a to list the estimated fair market value of all property my guests use to be added to my property value and  therefore my property taxes.  I explained that I have guests at most 1/5th of the year but I was told that there's no PRO-RATE.  I owned my furnishings and everything else except for a TV, towels and linens for about two decades prior to starting our airbnb rental.  Of course, I didn't get to take a business deduction at time of purchasing said furnishings.  I contacted airbnb for advice and got a reply that they'd get back to me.  Weeks later, I'm still waiting.  Any help from the Community as to my realistic obligations would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

That sounds the same as in my County, AirBnb are a booking agency, they are not going to know anything about local Property Taxes.

David

@Andrea164 it sounds like a similar situation to our county.

Locally, the instruction is also that there is no Pro-Rata for how much of the year you rent out.

However, our county has instructed that we are to provide the *current* value of the items, not the purchase price. So for used furniture, cutlery, linens, etc that is much, much less. It is also easier to do. (Just look on E-Bay.)

(We acquired almost all our AirBnB furniture second hand / free from people in the neighborhood when they moved out.)

Here is an article about our sitation:

(fun trivia: I know the family in the article.)

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Airbnb-furniture-tax-generates-120-000-for-8399617.php