Airbnb cancelled a reservations for fraud, but guests remains in the comunity

Sheida-and-Rahim0
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Airbnb cancelled a reservations for fraud, but guests remains in the comunity

Airbnb canceled a reservation at my apartment because they allegedly flagged this guest as a potential threat and was automatically removed from the community to protect the hosts.
However, the guest remains with the active profile and after canceling the reservation with me and receiving the full refund he was not entitled to, he booked another place and already has another positive evaluation.
Can someone explain this to me?

3 Replies 3

@Sheida-and-Rahim0   If you weren't given any information about the nature of the alleged threat,  it's bound to remain a mystery. It happens all the time that users find that their accounts have been automatically suspended due to something or other triggering the algorithm, but later restored after the flag has been investigated by a human. Unfortunately, any upcoming or current bookings on that user's account get automatically cancelled during the suspension.

When Airbnb cancels a booking against the guest's will, the guest is definitely entitled to a full refund. But of course it's frustrating for the host to lose out on the income when no replacement booking comes in.

Kim2263
Level 2
Middletown, DE

This just happened to us. Airbnb emailed us at 11pm on June 5 saying they canceled for a two week stay (6/26-7/3) for “quality assurance regarding the guest… can no longer support them as a member…”

The guest called ABnb 6:30 am the next morning and was told it was a mistake and reinstated his account. He then emailed us via the app asking why it was cancelled. We told him ABnb did it and that old call Airbnb. Within  20 minutes, the ABnb rep said it was a mistake and that he could rebook - but by that time, he found another place.

They fully reimbursed him - but we got nothing. We just booked the second week, but not the first one which starts tomorrow. 

I don’t understand how ABnb can do this and not give something to the host? I mean without places to stay they’d have no guests. We are the biggest part of their business! 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

This has happened to me about a dozen times. A couple of times I really followed the details down the rabbit hole (talking to guest, etc) and now believe the theory that maybe this just lets Airbnb count the income twice.  I have also seen at least 50 examples of this on this board and other host groups 

The worst examples for me were when they sent me the trust and safety just took your money and canceled your booking message on the day of check in, and I had to go change the code and leave a note on the door saying YOU ARE NOT PAID sorry check your messages and let me know what happened. That happened twice. And after the guests were on the calendar for many days or weeks leading up to this...making me wonder!   But usually the time it gets canceled is coincidentally 14 days before check in. When the 2nd half is automatically charged for those who chose installments... so maybe this is simply the 2nd half not going through and some automation gone crazy when it should prompt contact to the guest to get the thing paid