Airbnb deducted money from a 1 year old claim that was paid and clear.

Jocelyn3
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Airbnb deducted money from a 1 year old claim that was paid and clear.

I had a strange email from Airbnb telling me a claim had been made against me Jocelyn from me Jocelyn. This was Sept 2020. They sited a claim I had made to my guest in Sept 2019... that guest had paid the $500 claim with no issue. It said right on the link Airbnb sent me - Luke paid $500. 

The email to me stated all the basic claim info, how to respond, respond within in 72 hours, etc. 

I responded immediately saying there must be a mistake as that is a one year claim I made to a guest and it was paid. It appears Airnbnb was turning the claim around on me - saying I made a claim against myself? Very strange. 

Then on my next booking, they deducted the $500. But where did that $500 go???? I didn't get it. 

I have been trying desperately to get this dealt with. After contacting Airbnb through Twitter yesterday I got a reply. Various Airbnb have contacted me asking questions and passing it along. But I still have no answer and no money. 

Has this happened to anyone else? I am concerned it is an inside scam. Maybe someone has contact info for the security department?

Love to hear if you have answers on how I can get my $500. 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jocelyn3 

Very weird... it looks Airbnb is taking back the money

But you must keep trying to contact them, as the community can not restore your money...

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jocelyn3  That does sound scammy. There are definitley sketchy things going on within Airbnb but this one kind of takes the cake. It may take you some time and effort to get to the bottom of this and have them return your money, but be persistent. I do hope you get this resolved. It's unacceptable.

"Various Airbnb have contacted me asking questions and passing it along. But I still have no answer and no money."  The post below may enlighten:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/An-article-on-Airbnb-s-outsourcing-of-CS/m-p/1356988#M32...

Yes that article definitely speaks to what is happening. I have been a superhost for about 10 years and I used to be able to call Airbnb and quickly get answers. So disappointing. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jocelyn3 something not identical but similar happened to me last year and I got the money back in small claims court.

What happened to you? 

Small Claims court? Oh boy that seems like so much work. But then I recently lost my mother so everything seems like so much. 

@Jocelyn3 I'm so sorry, I bet it does.

In my case Airbnb clawed back payments for two reservations from 18 months prior, without any explanation. After hitting a brick wall with CS, small claims court was actually less work. I filled out the form, and served Airbnb with it at their legal address in San Francisco via certified mail. They never responded, so the court ruled in my favor by default, plus court fees and winner's judgment fee. There wasn't even an actual hearing. I sent Airbnb a copy of the judgment and demand to pay letter, and they paid.

@Lisa723 wrote:

@Jocelyn3 I'm so sorry, I bet it does.

In my case Airbnb clawed back payments for two reservations from 18 months prior, without any explanation. After hitting a brick wall with CS, small claims court was actually less work. I filled out the form, and served Airbnb with it at their legal address in San Francisco via certified mail. They never responded, so the court ruled in my favor by default, plus court fees and winner's judgment fee. There wasn't even an actual hearing. I sent Airbnb a copy of the judgment and demand to pay letter, and they paid.

On another thread the advice by Admin was to contact support again - despite the host already having done that and support failing miserably.

@Lisa723  I much prefer your advice here in this situation.

I have started a new claim 3 times. I suppose I just keep starting them. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I  recall another host post here a few weeks ago where the host said that Airbnb clawed back a payment they had made something like 2 years previous. It almost seems like they are going back through old resolved cases in an attempt to beef up their coffers, maybe assuming the host won't catch it. Pretty outrageous, all right.

@Jocelyn3

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jocelyn3,

I'm really sorry to hear about that situation. I have checked on your case internally and it seems that it's still open. The support team is working on it, so hopefully it will be solved soon.

I hope this helps and please do let me know if there are any updates.

Thanks,

Liv