Airbnb did not respect my strict contract

Marcia48
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Airbnb did not respect my strict contract

Bed and mattress from Ikea: One of the pics guest sent to Aibnb to justify for not staying in the house.??????Leak in the basement's ceilingHere is my sad story. I am a super host, but yet, a guest that rented my house to stay with his wife, a dog and a cat, for 3 months, did not like the house (all my guests love the house- just read my reviews). Then, this guest goes to the basement of the house (no, he didn't rent the basement, he rented the first floor, but still...he goes to the basement), take pics of the CEILING OF THE BASEMENT showing a leak  that most likely happened because some of them took a shower but did not close the shower curtains safely, and then he calls Airbnb saying they don't wanna stay in the house. I am a reasonable person and don't wanna force anyone to stay in the house. So I crunched some numbers and told Airbnb that I would charge them as if they had stayed for a week (which is the minimum period I rent my house) and then they could cancel the remaining days. But Airbnb does not respect my decision, tells me that they sent pics (of the leaking on the basement ceiling -for God's sake- and another showing that the bed is from Ikea!!!!!) and just like that, Airbnb lets them go, pays me just for the few days they stayed, (3 I think) and does not consider the amount that I have asked for.

So be aware that if a guest doesn't like bed+ mattress from Ikea or finds a leak in your basement ceiling, you may loose big time because for Airbnb this is enough reason to ignore you as a host and to ignore your strict policy. 

Marcia

8 Replies 8
Marcia48
Level 2
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lets say it this way..Airbnb did not respect my strict cancelation policy.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This is a really bizarre thing to have happened. What is wrong with picture 1? Nice and clean floor! One of the slats has moved a little, is that it?

A stain in the ceiling, regardless of which floor it is on has little bearing on your comfort I would think or quite a few old houses would be considered uninhabitable. Damp castle in Scotland, anyone? Oh no, can't possibly! It might have a damp patch.

That's exactly my point. Stains on the basement ceiling! Who cares????

I am truly considering leaving Airbnb because of this incidence. I feel very uneasy to see that Airbnb can make these decisons without hearing my voice and that the company's judgment is really bad. So any unhappy guest that decides that he/she does not wanna stay in your house for whatever reason can simply provide Airbnb with whatever picture and booom...your strict policy no longer applies. Scary!!!!!

I would take this back to Airbnb. You are not the first voice here in the forum in the last week or so who has been NOT consulted in a conflict. Guilty until proven otherwise? You need to be heard, balance of evidence etc weighed up. Is it a case of first in, best complaint? Loudest shout, best prize? I love Airbnb but need to know that in the case of a conflict they will listen to both sides and follow a protocol of some kind.

If you stay, maybe consider shorter bookings so not to be too injured in case anyone cancels on you again?

Thanks for the suggestion Sandra about short bookings. I will consider that. 

I have already talked to many people in Airbnb about this. I may try  once more. It's so unfair and wrong. 

@Marcia48, maybe the next time you contact them, instead of asking the same questions again (you have not had a good result so far) just ask what the protocols are, how they process the conflicts. What the steps in their manual are, there must be a procedurial manual for this as I doubt they are just acting off the cuff.

To help your understanding of how conflicts are processed, in order to assist you as host in the future. Without being upset, just patient and interested. If you can!

Elaine-And-Chuck0
Level 3
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

This is disappointing, but they sound like guests that might have turned into a BIG problem!

The problem is that I have lost money with this big time and now have my house empty in the high season. And now I have guests in my other propriety in Rio for the Olympics and Airbnb does not wanna pay me because it considers of having a credit with me (since they deposit the money for the guests that left the house). I am so frustrated!