Airbnb don’t let host see potential guests profile picture - Unsafe especially for female host

Tam48
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Airbnb don’t let host see potential guests profile picture - Unsafe especially for female host

Is there any hosts here think Airbnb’s policy of not letting host see potential guest profile picture really unfair ? Im starting to host and been receiving request from people who don’t have any reviews and not seeing who they look like/their gender really doesn’t help, especially I’m a female host and home alone most of the time. 

My feedback to airbnb

“Hi Airbnb. It would be fair to hosts if you show guests profile picture when they request to book, as I would like to see the person that will stay with me in my own home. When you rent out a room the first thing you do is to have inspection to see the person you’re living with face to face, then why don’t you let host to at least see the persons profile picture ? I’m also a girl and host alone in my house, a lot of times I don’t even know if the guest who is requesting is female or male and I feel really reluctant to accept, for obvious safety reasons.”

1 Reply 1
David-Erik0
Level 6
Berlin, DE

Most of us think is unfair, someone else do not care at all.  
Personally I do not find is correct and I think that one of the official reasons given, is pretty stupid. The department that take care of the CX said that guests were expressing concern about the illegit use that a host could do with their photo 😄 

Seriously... like if they didn't have any social media...

Anyway Tam, you can solve the problem via AirBnB. Set your account in order to require a photo. Guest can book anyway but if they book and they do not upload a photo of them, you can ask a cancellation penalty free : https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2377/how-can-i-require-guests-to-have-a-profile-photo?q=guest%20...

PS: for the review you can set to accept only recommended people, however you will receive a pop up message telling yout that 98% of new guest get a positive review, however reviews and ratings are not paritcular honest, so that number find the time that can find. I've hosted people with 0 reviews and they were great, and people with several 5 stars and recommendation and they were horrible proving since the first message that they didn't read the rules or airbnb T&C