Airbnb fee returned due to dishonest host

William540
Level 1
Houston, TX

Airbnb fee returned due to dishonest host

When we booked with Airbnb everything was fine. 1 week before checking in the host informed us that the building and tenants do not like Airbnb and are not supposed to use Airbnb, we have to get the key from a bike lock on a street corner and lie to the doorman and anyone else that might ask what we are doing, we are supposed to remember someone's name other than the hosts that we booked with and say we are visiting them. We canceled the booking and were refunded the rate but Airbnb does not refund the Airbnb fee for this. This is BS. Airbnb needs to refund my booking fee and hosts should be upfront about whatever clandestine cloak and dagger situation they have going on, that way people not lacking in integrity can feel comfortable booking with Airbnb and not have to be concerned about "getting caught" using Airbnb in situations that do not permit it. How do I get my booking fee refunded to me?

5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@William540  First thing you do is go to the flag on both the listing and the hosts profile and report both. Then you get on the phone with AirBnB and explain exactly what transpired with this host. You will be refunded your Service Fee's also ask for a 10% discount to rebook with a new owner. Hopefully you'll not have anymore issues with AirBnB, but if you do call and let them cancel. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@William540 I would report them for sure, as they have no business running a business in a clandestine way like that, particularly not being up front with guests before they pay. Very sneaky to only tell you you have to get the key off the bike and ask you to lie - pretty outrageous! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@William540  When you talk to airbnb, it will help a lot for them to look at the message the host sent you about this- I do hope this was stated via the messaging platform and not a phone call.

@William540

I experienced the same thing once when I was an Airbnb guest user in Japan - the guest sent me a similar message when I sent a message that we check-in okay. If anyone were to ask I should tell them I am a friend of XXXX (not host) in apt # XXXX (not the one we were staying at).

I completed my stay with no trouble, and when someone did stop me in the lobby to ask, I answered truthfully. I didn't see why I should have to lie or be inconvenienced because the host was running an ABB in secret, but I did flag the host after my stay.

As a host user, I've noticed ABB never refunds their own fees but always expects hosts to provide full refunds.

William, I had a very similar experience as a first time Airbnb user on a recent family vacation trip to Oahu where a host displayed pictures of his property that were taken sometime 2011 and in no way did the posted pictures represent the current deplorable and unsafe condition of his property. I've spent weeks trying to get a refund from the owner and Airbnb and at the end off the day Airbnb elected to protect its' host, clealry not a consumer friendly company. Airbnb refund the $125.00 service fee and left me no choice other than dispute the charges with my credit card company. I'll post a new conversation in regards to my experieinces but will never use Airbnb again.