Airbnb gave Guests our lockbox code

Patricia2591
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Airbnb gave Guests our lockbox code

Without our knowledge or authorization, an Airbnb Agent gave out our lockbox/key code to a guest HOURS before check in time. The Airbnb Agent accessed the code by retrieving a previous inbox message sent to the prior guest. And although we reset the key codes, we do so after room is cleaned and reset (so cleaners can access unit). We found the guests with keys in hand accessing the unit as we were reseting/cleaning the common area. We immediately report this to Airbnb, but received NO response until after the 4th call to them, then we received a message that it was a “human error”, and I was welcome to

provide feedback to Airbnb on their website.  Has anyone had this problem? 

35 Replies 35
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Patricia2591 That's outrageous! Did you allow the guests to access the unit or did you turn them away? What was THEIR explanation for how this came to be? I would have been inclined to call Airbnb straight away and have them cancel the reservation based on this happening. Can this guest be trusted to be in your listing now?  It's stunning that Airbnb and the guest would both circumvent you to gain/grant early access to the listing. 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Patricia2591 

That's not cool AT ALL. Had the guests even tried to contact you about getting the code before they contacted AirBnB? 

I don't give my code to the new guests until I am packed up and heading down the driveway. In the past, I'd give the code early on the morning of their arrival but  no more.....once guests arrived early because of confusion with time zone differences and they walked in on me breastfeeding on the sofa while taking a break from cleaning. I didn't care but the grandfather in the group was a bit stunned. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Patricia2591 wow. That's astonishing, even by Airbnb CS standards.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Patricia2591  @Emily487  @Lisa723  @Lizzie @Stephanie 

Based on this event, @Patricia2591 , you might look into installing a remote smartlock so you have complete and easy control over the security of your listing, at the touch of a button from anywhere you are, at any time. We all should for that matter, and Airbnb should cover the cost.  I just can't get over this one. It needs to be dealt with by more than a 'feel free to send feedback'. To begin with, they should spring for a new security system/smart lock setup for you.

Everyone, give a thumbs up and comment on Patricia's post so it gets on and stays on the front page here for all to see. Everyone here needs a heads up that this can and does happen!

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Patricia2591 

I am not normally a sh""t stirrer, but honestly, this is so appalling, so inappropriate, such a violation of privacy and safety, I think it is media worthy.  I honestly would consider approaching a media outlet re this.  It's unfortunate, but this kind of tactic seems to be one of the extremely few ways of  holding the company to account and for driving  positive change. Do consider this avenue. It would help you, help other hosts, and may actually help the company to be just a tiny bit more accountable and professional.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

@Patricia2591 @That’s absolutely outrageous. 
you don’t mention why they contacted Abnb and not you for the code?

I would absolutely take this higher, this truly in unacceptable. 

I get that there is always room for human error, but this goes further than error this is bad judgement and Abnb need to ensure their staff are trained correctly. 

Renee399
Level 1
San Remo, AU

I'm new to hosting so I find this post interesting, because I am possibly thinking from the perspective of the traveller. As a traveller, I would expect a host to share with me hours before my arrival how I will gain entry into the property. What if my phone wasn't working following arrival into a foreign country and I was unable to receive check in messages? Travellers like to arrive prepared and providing check in instructions hours before check in time does not seem adequate to me. I wonder why these travellers contacted Air BnB for the code, rather than the hosts. 

Thats a fair point @Renee399, BUT if you were in that situation as a guest,  would you not communicate that difficulty or  expectation to your host, well before check in day? Surely you wouldn't  wait until you arrived ( early) at your destination? And surely you wouldn't' arrive several hours before the stated check in time and still expect to be able to gain access?

Quite possibly these guests were naive and it was a  misunderstanding. I think what everyone is outraged by is the fact that an airbnb CS rep, did not direct the guest appropriately - ie to communicate with the host and/or to wait until the proper check in time, which would have been clearly indicated and visible to the CS rep. The CS rep could have tired to reach the host himself.  But to take it upon himself to go through messages sent to another guest to retrieve sensitive security information without the hosts consent is extraordinary IMO.  

@Rowena29 Yes, the point here is the complete circumventing of the host, and the highly inappropriate and risky action of the CX. Actually, anyone with a lick of common sense would have known it was a 'no no'. We all know already, that the majority of CX are ill trained on even basic things. We know more than they do, to the point that calling CX for any reason is a wasted effort. This action was wrong on so many levels, and for so many reasons. Think of all the possible ramifications. CX need to be trained that this action is strictly prohibited, and there should be clear consequences in place should it happen. @Renee399 

@Renee399  You're absolutely correct that check in instructions need to be communicated well ahead of time, for many reasons. A code can be shared ahead, but not actually input until close to check in time. But obviously this being do-able is going to vary greatly for many, depending on circumstances, set up etc.

" I wonder why these travellers contacted Air BnB for the code, rather than the hosts. " I wonder this too. Hopefully @Patricia2591 will explain more at some point. 

Hi I have a smart lock and now only share the digital lock code just before check in. I do share info on how to get there but not the door entry code. I used to send it in the morning and my check in time was 2pm and this is explained but I have had instances where a new guest has just opened the door before the cleaning had been done at 10.30 am and was then angry at me for not letting them stay or because the place was not ready 

I occasionally allow guests late checkout at 11 am so all I could think of was what would have happened if they had walked in while a current guest was still there.

i send a wifi password the night before so if needed they can access that in case nay messages are sent.
guests need to understand that arriving earlier than expected is an invasion of privacy the same as if the host just walked in on them before the expected check out time

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Patricia2591 

Airbnb are just a listing site rings very hollow, you realise you've lost control of your property!

"Airbnb are just a listing site rings very hollow". @Cormac0  Very, very true.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Usually, I will release the check-in instructions with the codes several days in advance, in case there are questions. Even then, several times, guests have not received the message - either through not checking Airbnb messaging, or not having the app on their phones while travelling.

I've had to call people who have not responded to my requests for confirming arrival times and confirming receipt of entry instructions. 

I think it's unconscionable that Airbnb would release a private entry code without consulting the host - it's very lazy, at best - especially, since codes may change and it might not even work.  CX is going to default to the thing that gets the issue off their plate as fast as possible, be it right, wrong or indifferent. 

But I also think it's not very practical to release entry codes too short a time before arrival, without making sure the guest fully understands the check-in process. 

I realize folks have automated keylock systems which release codes just before assigned check-in, but this seems like it's open to communication issues, unless one has notified the guest well in advance that codes are issued just before confirmed check-in, and received their acknowledgement back.  Guests have to be responsive to messaging, and communicate changes to their travel plans so hosts know when to expect them.