Airbnb gave Guests our lockbox code

Patricia2591
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Airbnb gave Guests our lockbox code

Without our knowledge or authorization, an Airbnb Agent gave out our lockbox/key code to a guest HOURS before check in time. The Airbnb Agent accessed the code by retrieving a previous inbox message sent to the prior guest. And although we reset the key codes, we do so after room is cleaned and reset (so cleaners can access unit). We found the guests with keys in hand accessing the unit as we were reseting/cleaning the common area. We immediately report this to Airbnb, but received NO response until after the 4th call to them, then we received a message that it was a “human error”, and I was welcome to

provide feedback to Airbnb on their website.  Has anyone had this problem? 

35 Replies 35
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

You make good points @Michelle53. Ultimately, operating out of a place of apprehension that this could happen could set the stage for all sorts of issues.

It just needs to be STRICTLY prohibited. All CX need to be trained to understand that it is. 

I'll keep doing what I do for now, which is release instructions well ahead of time, but not input the guest code until about an hour before check in. I've been in the habit of doing it when leaving once turnover is done, but that varies quite a bit.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patricia2591  I agree that it's outrageous for Airbnb to have done this without contacting you first. However, if I were a guest,. I would not book a place where the host would only give out the code a few hours before check-in. Not everyone uses the app or even a smart phone, so I would need the code well ahead of time, when I had access to a computer. Of course, as a host, you can wait until just before check-in time to actually program the code, which would eliminate guests being able to check-in early.  

I agree @Sarah977 ( i've just written something along these lines before I saw your response) But if that was the actual difficulty  - the guest could easily have communicated this to the host - you would right?  You would say - it wont' work for me getting the code just a few hours before. If the hosts wasn't willing or able to be flexible, you'd book elsewhere.  

to me, the problem seems, this guest turned up before check in time, but still expected to be able to gain access.  Maybe naive, more likely entitled.   I just BET it was an entitled guest, throwing a screaming fit at the CS rep, who freaked out, panicked adn did everything he could think of to shut her up and make her happy.  Pure supposition on my part of course.

@Patricia2591 DO tell us more!!

@Rowena29  Yes, I would definitely let the host know when I requested to book (I'd probably send an Inquiry first) that I would need the codes a week or several days beforehand and why. If the host wasn't amenable to that, I'd not book. I like all my ducks in a row, get really stressed with last-minute stuff and so I would always give others the same respect, not just spring something on them at the last minute, like these guests did by involving Airbnb.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Michelle53 

A lot of the potential difficulties you describe can really boil down to a guest that fails to communicate effectively - either because of entitlement/naivety/inexperience  - whatever.   I have a string a strategies in place to try to ensure guests realise how vital it is that they read what I send and at least acknowledge my few messages, if not actually reply. 

If none of the series of strategies of I have work, I would definitely cancel the guest.  I would be ruthless about this - experience has taught me that if they are poor at communicating about a series of prompts and explanations ( including a call from CS ) they are going to be TROUBLE.   Of course as hosts we need to be flexible, accomodating, understanding.  We may need to educate guests a bit in the process. But we also need to be proactive adn self protect - airbnb certainly won't help.

LIke @Colleen253  I have a keycode and i usually send instructions re this  the day before.  I tell guests several weeks before I will do this. IF they wanted the code 2 weeks before, that would be fine - I don't input it until they are near arriving anyway.   I usually make the guests code the first 6 digits of their mobile.  

I am there for check in - but I make guests unlock the door the first tiem themselves.

The conversation almost ALWAYS goes like this.

Right - do you remember your keycode?

Well no, not without looking it up

But I made it the first 6 digits of your mobile number so you could remember it easily

Long pause.     OH 

the guest has SEEN  my message, and gone  yeah yeah, check in instructions, yeah yeah , I 'll wait til i get there to read it properly. I think I"'ve had one guest out of 30 that had actually read and understood what the keycode was prior to walking down the driveway. 

Patricia2591
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Airbnb did not provide any further information other than “human error”. I was at the property when one of the cleaners altered me someone was entering the building, and I found the guest with keys, and he had unlocked the secure hallway door to enter the building. I  greeted the guest and asked him which unit he booked, I told him check in was not in till 4 PM and he was a few hours early. The guest stated that airBNB had just given him the key/lockbox code over the phone so that he could check in.

Although we have check in information online nowhere do we have any of the key code or lock information listed. The key codes are changed on a regular basis, but not until the units are reset and cleaned (So cleaners can also have access to the key code). Upon booking, guests are messaged that a key code will be sent to them on check in date, 2-3 hours prior to check in. 

I contacted Airbnb right when this incident occurred, which was hours before check-in time. AirBNB made no attempt to reach me that a guest was trying to reach me, or that they had a question about check in time  for a guest. AirBNB decided on their own to retrieve the prior message to the guest who just checked out of

the unit, retrieve the key code that we had given that guest, and give that key code to the incoming guest.I was provided with no explanation on how this happen and there was no notation or incident log that a customer service agent had given out our key/lock code. I was told a manager from Airbnb would research how this happen and call me back. It took three phone calls, two messages to AirBNB, over the next three days to finally get a response from AirBNB - “human error” and a link to the community page. 

I am planning on writing a strong letter to Airbnb corporate office - so comments from other hosts are helpful. Thanks  for reading
 and posting. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Patricia2591  So neither Airbnb nor the guest attempted to contact you. That's really not good. Let us know what action you get on this after sending your letter. Airbnb needs to correct this, and address it with customer service staff so they all know the proper protocol to follow, and what NOT to do. 

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

You are making too big deal out of this. It's not like Airbnb sent the code to some random person. It was your guest who should have received check instruction way before they arrived, not last minute. Not everyone can access the internet when they travel. I also see nothing wrong with contacting Airbnb first since this is where guest made their reservation.

Renee399
Level 1
San Remo, AU

Wow. I'm sorry, but sending the lock box code to a guest 2-3 hours prior to check in is simply not good enough. I agree with @Piotr48, you are making far too big a deal out of this. They gave the code to a guest that you had approved. Not some bum off the street. Your messages on the Air BnB platform are not private. In fact all your data, your e-mails, text messages, everything discussed across their platform is the property of Air BnB. So the guests entered a few hours early, probably to drop their bags and then go and explore. Bg deal. 

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

I have to disagree with your position - it is a big deal!  I am very clear about my check-in time.  I am very clear that guests can request early check-in and I provide it if I am able to do so.  Guest check-out is at 11:00 AM and new guest check-in is at 4:00 PM.  I have had new guests literally walk in on existing guests who did not have the front door locked while they were packing to check-out!  Just showing up without prior approval hours before your scheduled check-in time is not acceptable.

I try to accommodate guests that want to 'drop off their bags' early.  The majority of those guests actually want to put their bags in the bedrooms as opposed to the garage or a storage area; they want to 'quickly change clothes'; they want to put their food in the refrigerator and their groceries on the kitchen counter; they want to wait out on the deck while housekeeping finishes cleaning; they want to use the restrooms before they go out exploring; they leave and come back within 15-20 minutes and ask housekeeping if she is finished yet - several times! 

These guests completely disrupt the housekeeping process.  And many times they tell housekeeping 'Oh, it looks great!  We will take it just like it is.'   My housekeeper always refuses that request because those are invariably the guests who make comments about the cleanliness of the property or call asking me to send housekeeping back over later because they just realized that the microwave had not been wiped out or that housekeeping had not had time to clean all the kitchen counters before they put their bags of groceries on them.

Regardless of when the owner supplies instructions and the key code, showing up early and accessing the property prior to the owner-designated time is not okay ever; it is trespassing.

The actual scenario above where AirBNB customer service gave the guest the security code is completely inappropriate under any circumstances.

@Brenda328 "Regardless of when the owner supplies instructions and the key code, showing up early and accessing the property prior to the owner-designated time is not okay ever; it is trespassing.

The actual scenario above where AirBNB customer service gave the guest the security code is completely inappropriate under any circumstances."

Touché. And regardless what the motivation was, or what circumstances led the CX to do this, completely circumventing the host and not even attempting communication with her was ill advised. This opened the door to any number of potential issues.

@Renee399 

Airbnb is only one of many rental platforms. How does an Airbnb customer service rep know that someone is not in this host's space the morning of the guests arrival day?! What if this guest entered the private space of another guest? Where are the privacy and security measures/concerns there? 

Connie-Jo-and-Leslie0
Level 7
Jacksonville, FL

Wow. I hate that a CS rep disclosed this information, especially without contacting the host. I would love to hear that recorded conversation. 
I use a keypad but it is not WiFi. As I arrive to clean, I remove the previous guests code which is always the last 4 of their telephone number on their profile. When I have completed the turnover, I then add the next guests code. Guests cannot surprise me while I am cleaning. 
I am always uncomfortable when I stay at homes/listings with a random code as I never know when it was last changed and feel someone could come in. The same with lock boxes with keys as anyone could make a key copy. I just love the idea of a distinct code for each guest. BTW, I also have a backup code, besides my code, for last minute bookings or repair people or if I entered a code wrong. Sorry for your extra stress. 

Connie-Jo-and-Leslie0
Level 7
Jacksonville, FL

Also, this is a bit off topic but, when I have groups staying they will shout out to the named/booking guest, ‘what’s the code?’   And a reply will be shouted back, ‘3456’ or whatever. So ANYONE in earshot can hear. I mean I am in a nice enough neighborhood but...that’s like putting a key under the door mat. Ummm...No. It has to be changed between guests in my case. 

@Connie-Jo-and-Leslie0 ,

I'm pretty sure that @Patricia2591 does change over the code between guests - if you look through her explanations it looks like she has one new code per guest, she leaves it in place for the cleaners, THEN changes it for the new guest.  CS gave the new guest the old code, before the old code had been changed to the new, so it still worked, is my understanding of what went wrong.  Which suggests the new guests were there well before check in time.    It sounds as though she has a keypad that only takes one number at a time.  Like you, I have a keypad also that is not wireless.  It can take up to 8 codes ( i think). We have a couple of permanent ones for family,  and then we delete and add for guests as we go along. like you I usually use a variation on the mobile number, but like you have discovered that for large groups it's not all that "safe" as the number is only significant and easy to remember for the booker - not the rest of the party.     Nothing is fool proof - especially if airbnb are going through your messages and handing out previous security info.   They really are  (usually) clueless though.  I once rang CS because a regarding a  small difficulty re a guest and check in.  Their response was "they are driving all the way from Calgary (Canada) Really? Over the oceans? ( I am in Australia). I got the impression the CS rep didn't realise Canada and Australia were different continents ...