Airbnb has broken the map interface

Kory1
Level 2
Vashon, WA

Airbnb has broken the map interface

@Brian  

Since mid-November requests and bookings have been nil for my spaces in Las Vegas. I thought Omicron, pricing, listing title change, winter but then after whole month of nothing decided to try find my listing on the Airbnb website (using iphone Safari browser but same in iphone Airbnb app). 
Found map interface not working as I knew before. Now just shows 15 listings on the map. To see others user must move map or zoom in/out & press new link to repopulate the map but still just 15 show. This is completely unacceptable. Even when zoom down to really, really specific small area & just barely zoom in, still only 15 different listings show (some will be same but new ones now appear). THIS HIDES MANY MANY LISTINGS THAT ARE ALSO IN THE USER SELECTED AREA & USERS WILL ASSUME NOTHING ELSE IS AVAILABLE!!! THIS AFFECTS ALL AREAS OF THE WORLD NOT JUST LAS VEGAS. 

See screen recording of this new “feature” here 

https://youtube.com/shorts/qRhX-z5v8k8?feature=share

(can’t even add a video here) 

Questions:

When did this change get released?

How does Airbnb choose which 15 to put on map?

Airbnb will compensate me for lost bookings due to this ridiculous change which has blocked requests?

13 Replies 13
Kory1
Level 2
Vashon, WA

Ok post processing made the link clickable, my apologies.

Hi all

kory is completely correct. I am travelling from the uk and doing a 3 week drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco. 
I am only looking for properties in specific locations. 
it is impossible to find hosts using the map. 
when I first search there are say 750 hosts and they appear on the map. As soon as I zoom into an area it might reduce it down to 2 hosts. I move the map a cm and 3 more might appear in an area where the did not exist a moment ago. Sometime properties disappear and it goes from 10 hosts to 2 just by moving the map slightly. It is nothing to do with super hosts and it is taking forever. I cannot click through 750 listings individually to check the location. What makes it worse is that air bnb already gives a massive search area, even if you search downtown San Francisco. I have tested it and sometimes there will be 2 hosts in an area but if I persist and cross reference there are more than 30. 
as a guest I can say that you can only really search via the map function. It’s so frustrating that I googled it and you are virtually the only person that comes up. I can only guess other guests just give up or book something on the first page (non map view). 
it’s much more important for you guys as revenue so I thought I would have the courtesy of replying so something can hopefully be done for you guys. 
rob

Also just to say I have just downloaded the app and the same thing happens. I have also tried it on my laptop Microsoft edge and same story. So it is to do with air bnb and not the device. 

We are having the same problem. 
Our listing does not show on the map, I suspect bc we are not a superhose (yet, we are a new listing.) AIRBNB keeps telling me "its the algrithm." NO ITS NOT, if a guest is looking for a listing walking distance from a highly desired attraction, he does not see our listing, why? bc we are not a super host (yet, we are a new listing.) did we agree to hane our listing hidden in favor of others? no answer form AIRBNB

@Rick4084  Map placement has nothing to do with Superhost status. Have you tried zooming in on the map? Are you looking at your listing in incognito mode, not from your account? Have you input the correct filters so your listing comes up in a search?

yes, absolutely, I am using my sisters active app, and going straight to the map and refreshing. Our listing is in a high volume area for christmas season and the same thing happened before christmas, then, magically, once most units were booked, our listing appeared and we booked. Now, bc christmas is over (or at least I believe,) our listing DOES NOT appear. We are in a highly desireable area waling distance from a major attraction and we do not appear on the map

Sarah, Have you tried zooming in on the map before answering this question? Zooming now is not working like you think it did a while ago (I don’t know when it changed but seems to me in mid-November).

Only 15 (of many) show on map. Zooming in or out does nothing now (does not cause the map to repopulate with listing bubbles. The same 15 remain showing). To see others you now must click a link at top to repopulate the map in the newly zoomed in (or out) area. Again just 15 show in this area. If you just barely rezoom the map & press the link again a few new ones will appear in the exact same area which mean THEY ARE HIDING MANY OTHER LISTINGS ON THE MAP.  IS THIS INTENTIONAL OR A REALLY REALY BAD BUG? If intentional then Airbnb needs to tell us how they are choosing the 15 to show!!! 

I am Superhost & has nothing to do with that.

I am also a Software Engineer so I understand how a user interface should work. This appears to be someones bad design gone very very bad for us hosts.

And actually placement and map may be connected to being Superhost since the 15 Airbnb has somehow chosen to show may be the first 15 that show up on the non-map interface (regular photo listing) and the Superhost listings might be in the first 15 (along with some other factors like discounts, instant book, etc). The problem here is that the map is now LIMITED to just 15 listings at a time even though the users filters (or lack of filters) has found way more than 15 (say 50, 100, 200 etc). The others after the 15 will not show on map until those first 15 are finally booked (which may be never due to their pricing or other factors).  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kory1 

All 4 listings are on the map. Maybe check if location is correct ?

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=6307583&map_toggle=true

You sent me link to my listings not map showing my listings. Yes, if you filter down to only my listings definitely you’ll see them on the map. Great for me if everyone looking for place to stay just filters don to my listings. But that is not how AirBnB works in reality. Most people don’t know where they’re looking for work and therefore use the map to find a place to stay.  If you look on the map when there’s 40 50 60 70 80 or 100 or more different places to stay, you will not find my place because they are only showing 15 places to stay on the map now.  Why do y’all not get this problem?  Even if you zoom in or out and press the stupid new button to show places it still does not show my place or other peoples places which are there on the map but not being shown. Just 15 get showing how they choose the 15 God only knows!

Elizabeth2514
Level 2
Seattle, WA

@Kory1 

Same problem.  If a guest uses Flexible Dates, will NOT show up on map.