Airbnb host in Canada harassment

May150
Level 2
South Korea

Airbnb host in Canada harassment

Hello I honestly do not know leaving this post here could help me... but I’m very scared and anxious if this host could do something to my friends in Canada.

So i’m leaving post here.

I booked one of airbnbs in Canada in the first week of August (which is like four weeks ago).

While I stayed there, I noticed the place I was at looked different than what it showed in the listing. So I asked the host since he has multiple properties, I thought he might have given me a wrong room and I was worried if I was staying someone else’ room. 

He called me as soon as he received my msg. He was yelling at me on the phone like “I feel insulted, i’m telling you I give you better room more spacious room, and how dare you msg me and say I gave you a different room!!”
(I should have noticed by then that he was crazy...)

I calmed him down simply saying that I was just checking if he gave me the wrong room since I did not mind the different room that I was actually staying. 

Suddenly he calmed down and thanked me for understanding him. 

But when I left and I left the review saying the place was nice the location was perfect but since it was a totally different room, I gave him a star for accuracy. And I said on the review honestly, everything was nice but the place was a different than what it shows on the listing. Which was true. I thought I should let other people to know and make sure to check with him before they actually check in if the place is the same place that shows on the listing.

and as soon as he saw my review he got upset. He started sending me msgs on my other messenger app. And today, he got extremely furious that I ruined his business and started sending me msgs in all messenger apps that I have. 

The things that he said and the way he harassing me scares me, because he saw my friends in Canada when they came to pick me up. I really think if he remembers their faces, he would be able to do something to them. 

I do not know how to deal with this person (since he is still sending me msgs through other apps - even though i blocked/flagged  him on most of apps)

Is there any way that I could make it stop other than changing my mobile number? Or is there any way to report him to Canada police? Would it help?

11 Replies 11
May150
Level 2
South Korea

https://imgur.com/a/TJmrLGV

His msgs if you want to read

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@May150  I have a hard time understanding why you engaged with him like that. I would never have answered him at all, and immediately reported him to Airbnb. You can still report him to Airbnb and send them screen shots of the awful messages he sent you.

In fact you really ought to have reported him right away when you found he'd done a bait and switch on you. 

I wouldn't worry too much about your Canadian friends, unless they live right near him and he knows where they live. The police won't do anything- he hasn't committed any crime, at least as far as you or I know, and it doesn't appear that he's threatened to harm your friends.

But please do report him to Airbnb- that a host would send messages to a guest like this is inexcusable-he should be banned from the platform. Don't worry, Airbnb won't tell him you reported him.

I know I should have reported him right away, but I was so naive and didn't think he bait me.. I really thought he was giving me a better place to stay. I already reported him and contacted customer service but he is still msging me. And airbnb people hasn't reply me back today. I spoke to them yesterday and they said they will escalate this issue. but I haven't heard from them.. while I've been getting more msgs today from the host...

Thank you for your comment.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Aren't you able to block him, @May150?

I did.... and he finds another app and then another app to msg me. @Gordon0

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@May150 If you tell someone to stop texting you and they continue to text you, it's actually a crime.  You have to explicitly tell him to stop, and if continues, you can bring it to the police.

What a terrible experience - I'm so sorry to read this.

I really wanted to bring it to the police. since he's been texting me on every different apps that i have. Somehow he manage to install all Asian messengers that I have for my work (which I cannot even delete because of work) and msg me there. I think I got him really extremely upset..... 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@May150  Any host who would send their guest harrassing, profane messages simply because the guest gave them a bad rating is mentally unbalanced. This guy is obsessed. 

If you don't hear back from Airbnb really soon, I'd message them again- put in capital letters at the beginning of your message TRUST AND SAFETY ISSUE. That might get their attention and a faster reply. It worked for me when I had an issue, although it was nowhere near as serious as yours.

@Sarah977  Thank you for your kind msg. I will try that for sure, I haven't heard from them for few days.. 

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

I believe this is a very rare case. First thing to consider is to contact Airbnb. Documentation and evidences are crucial to gain your support. Most of hosts won’t do that....

周蘭
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello@May150 in South Korea from New Zealand

So sorry to read you have experienced this.

No one has the right to harass anyone and personally I'm pleased to see worldwide we are now having more open conversations about what is and isn't acceptable behaviours.

Please make sure you do not answer his msgs.

It's best to refrain from doing so no matter how hard it is

The only thing however that you may like to do is look online for a Cease and Desist Anti Harassment template to keep and if you feel you need to use that to warn this person to stop their unsolicited acts as they when viewed in chronological order, context and content it may be deemed to be harassment if there is a pattern of 2 or more specified acts as per the provisions of the Harassment Act in Canada and in South Korea - some countries, like Singapore, have cross border legislation.

You may like to email the local Police in Canada with a copy of his msgs and advise them of what you experienced with a link to his listings so they can also be aware of his behaviour - one can never ever tell what such people may try and do to future guests.

That way it is also on the Police database should any other complaints arise from others.

Take care