Airbnb host requests money for water damage

Can1039
Level 2
Ankara, TR

Airbnb host requests money for water damage

During our stay in the Airbnb apartment, one day there was water outage in the apartment. I realized it when I tried to use the bidet faucet. I turned the faucet on (a basic, rotating faucet), no water coming and then I tried to turn it off. But there was no stop in faucet that makes you understand that it is completely turned off. It appeared to be that I couldn’t turn it off completely. I didn’t understand it because there was no water in the apartment and faucet didn’t have a stop (it was rotating freely in both directions). I called the host and he said that water outage happens in the neighborhood sometimes, usually problem is solved before midnight. I said ok and went out of the apartment. When I was out, water outage problem was solved and water flow started from the bidet faucet. The faucet was pointed outwards the bidet and water first went to the bathroom floor. Since there was no drainage on the bathroom floor, water then went to the room also. When I came back to the apartment, bathroom and the room was all covered with water. Host also came and we drained the water out of the room. There was a leakage from my room to lower floors and now the host asks for 750$ for the water damage. He says that the ceilings, air conditioner and security camera were damaged. I don’t think I am liable in this situation and I refused to pay. Because the water outage was not my fault, faucet was not working properly and there was no drainage for flood in the bathroom. Do you think I am still liable? 

9 Replies 9
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

When a host and a guest do not agree the guest is responsible for damage, the host will be directed to have Air BNB review the situation asking for proof of damage, receipts for correction.  However, the first step in the process if for the host to communicate with the guest so you have an opportunity to accept or deny responsibility.  Therefore respond to the host message as you believe and then cooperate with the Air BNB staff.  No one on this host forum is in the position to determine whether  you are responsible or not and whether the damage claim is accurate or not.

The situation is directed to Airbnb. Then I received an e-mail like:

“We are closing our correspondence with you regarding your host’s claim. We will reach out in the future if anything further is needed.

If you’d like to pay some or all of the amount your host requested you can use the Resolution Center to complete the transaction”

I didn’t understand what this means, is the situation solved or not?

How did this play out in the end? I have a very similar situation.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Can1039 

Oooh.. that's a difficult one. Water outage not your fault, However, the host did say that the water would come back on, and you left the apartment, with the faucet pointing outward (clearly just an honest mistake, but still...)

If it were me, I think I'd speak with the host and try to come to an agreement, perhaps with both shouldering 50% of the damage costs. Under the circumstances that you've described, that would seem fair to me. 

Why doesn’t the host try to get payment from host insurance? Isn’t it for cases like this?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Because the Airbnb guarantee has many exclusions and if you are found to be at fault Airbnb will rightly chase you for payment rather than pay out. @Can1039 

In this situation it sounds like a mix of both of you to be honest. 

How can I be sure about the cost of damage? They can write any number on the bill and show as reference. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Can1039  I agree with Susan- it seems like a situation where you and the host both bear some responsibility. If a faucet handle didn't have a stop, and I had changed it from its original position, and I was made aware that the water outage was somewhat normal in the area and would likely come back on soon, I would have looked for the water shut-off valve in the bathroom and turned the water off from there, to avoid a possible flood, and if I couldn't find one, asked the host where it was, or asked him to come check that the faucet handle was in the correct position.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I don’t think this is the guest’s fault.

It seems that the equipment was faulty. 

A guest shouldn’t have to look for the shut-off valve.

He notified the host about the issue.