Airbnb hosting in amsterdam (NL)

Andrea5351
Level 2
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Airbnb hosting in amsterdam (NL)

Tried to get in touch with Airbnb support but I did not find clear answers.

Maybe someone can help

Taking in account the new Amsterdam municipality regulation that for hosting is required to have a registration.

For an host that is not hosting regularly   so not a (Professional operators), not a registered (Bed & breakfasts), probably could be classified as (private vacation rental) but is not renting the full property apartment but just one of the room, beside the registration with the city of Amsterdam (which should be quite easy with the DigiD) should be taken in consideration other important factors? I understood that city tax should be included and paid with the reservation, and at the end of the year taken in account the income with the tax declaration.

Any other fixed costs that might influence negatively the viability of hosting for example

- Fixed registration fee?

- Garbage tax 

- Income tax declaration fixed liabilities

Try to understand if occasionally hosting is still interesting or will be more headache that fun with all this new rules.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrea5351 

Please note there is also Dutch community: Community-Center-Dutch

Regarding Amsterdam there are several threads in that community and also a facegroup of Amsterdam hosts excists. @Mirjam0 can tell you more about it.

Andrea5351
Level 2

Hello Emil,

Thank you for the feedback, Mirjam already provided important information.

Mirjam0
Level 10

Hi @Andrea5351 
Good to inform yourself first before starting to rent out to tourists.  In Amsterdam there are two ways of renting out to tourists:

1) Vakantieverhuur: renting out your whole apartment for 30 days max. to 4 people max.  Vakantieverhuur needs a license and registration. number, also you have to register your guests each time you are renting out. 
2) Bed&Breakfast. Even if you are not renting out daily and just a  small room in your apartment,  you are a B&B for the Amsterdam Municipality.  You have to apply for a license and a registration number. Other rules are: You have to be at home when you have guests,  You can rent out to 4 people max. You have to choose between B&B or Vakantieverhuur. 

Airbnb is collecting the Tourist Tax on your behalf,  Once a year you have to declare  the tourist tax by presenting a list of your guests and the income tax that Airbnb  paid for your guests.

All this might seem complicated,  but once you know what to do,  it becomes a routine. Hosting is fun if you like to pamper and comfort your guests,  and give them a great insight into living in Amsterdam!  To helo each other as hosts, we have a Facebook group: Airbnb Hosts Amsterdam where you can ask all your questions,  we have a meetup every second  Monday from 17:30 - 18:30 in Café Scheltema,  Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 242. where you can meet other hosts and share your experiences. And last but not least:  we have a Host Association Amsterdam Hospitable where many hosts became a member They can advise you if you doubt if the room and amenities that you want to rent out to tourists is according to the rules. Amsterdam Gastvrij has a meetup on March 7th  You can read more and sign in for the meetup on www.amsterdamgastvrij.nl.  Feel free to ask whatever you need to know, here or on the Facebook group, and come to the meetups.  You can read more  about Vakantieverhuur and B&B   on the  website of the Amsterdam Municipality: https://www.amsterdam.nl/veelgevraagd/?caseid=%7BDB74D98B-5515-4205-AB86-8AE634DD89E6%7D

Andrea5351
Level 2

Hello Mirjam,

Thank you very much already for sharing this information, do you also know if register myself as B&B (licenses and registration) cost are free or fixed charge?

In the case I register as (B&B) (process should be quite straightforward) and for a reason I do not rent out at all or just few times during the year, will I incured in financial cost (impact) for example garbage tax? or Fixed tax for the fact that I have registered as B&B, in the case at certain point I see that hosting is not interesting anymore, can I cancel the registration ?

Thank you very much in advance for your clarification and help