Airbnb ignore their own cancellation policy

Karwan0
Level 8
Phuket, TH

Airbnb ignore their own cancellation policy

I am really frustrating and disappointed from Airbnb.

I am a host in Thailand with a lot property's.

Everyone knows from media about the current corono virus from China.

Since 24th January I have got a lot last minute cancellations. For travelers from China Airbnb set up new cancellation policys which I can understand and respect so all Chinese guests got full refund even my cancellation policy are strict and they cancelled just 1-7 days before arrival.

Now Airbnb start ignore completely my cancellation policy and let everyone cancel who are worry about the corono virus.

There isn't any rule that everyone can cancel but the customer service always are on guest side and refund to everyone who wants cancel even they are not from China.

In Thailand we have so far zero deaths and the risk to got this virus is not less or more than any country of the world. I understand the panic but why its a host risk if someone decided in last minute not stay in the place they booked.

After 3 year hosting with Airbnb I am really consider to stop to work with Airbnb and work with other agencies.

2 Replies 2
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Karwan0 

I can imagine how frustrating this is and there are a lot of hosts in the same situation.

However airbnb has always had the extenuating circumstances policy in place which has always over ridden any hosts personal cancellation policy.

The corona virus most definitely falls under extenuating circumstances and if affecting hosts world wide. 

This is why I have landlords insurance that covers me for "loss of income" - nothing is ever certain in this world.

Catherine1293
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Rowena you are lucky you have this sort of insurance. I also have a comprehensive loss of income policy but coronovirus is not on there. Guests book and they see a hosts cancellation policy and this should be final.

If AirBnB wish to be generous with refunds they should do this out of their own pockets and not hosts pockets as we have mortgages and bills to pay. Providing the host is able to provide a service and the Government is not preventing this (as is the situation in Wuhan where the hosts cannot provide a service) if a guest has to cancel it should fall on their travel insurance policy and not on the host.