Airbnb in Paris, France

Nick1826
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb in Paris, France

Hello all! I have only used airbnb once but am planning on going to Paris, France in a couple months. I have found a place but there are no reviews for the place and I’m concerned about the legitimacy of the property. Can anyone chime in and provide me advice? I have attached the link to the property. Additionally, there are 2 individuals both listing the same property and both have referenced one another in the private messages I have sent them. Thank you for feedback in advance!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39264124?source_impression_id=p3_1581882630_si1gMD3%2BIn1If%2BPp

30 Replies 30
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nick1826 What is it about the listing that gives you pause? The part about two people listing the same property is not clear, maybe you could clarify what you mean.  The host does have reviews for other properties, which are largely positive. What I notice is he has twice in very recent history cancelled on guests the day before. If you were to give it a pass for any reason, this should be it. 

This is telling: (one of the reviews from 'Alexandres' listing of the same place):

"The host messaged me the day before check-in that he was cancelling the reservation, just as I was leaving for the airport to fly from the USA to Paris, and thus too late to cancel our trip; we were a party of 6, some of whom were already on their way. He did not however actually cancel the reservation, and then didn't communicate further until the next morning. Thus, when I landed in Paris we had still received no official word, but I was unable to cancel the reservation myself or would've been required to pay for the stay. Several hours later, he offered me to stay in the apartment of an acquaintance of his, without any link or photos, which would've been dangerous as it would've offered me no protection from theft/fraud/etc through the AirBnB platform. He later also offered me to stay instead at another AirBnB listing of his, which appeared to be of vastly inferior quality, judging from the photos. Notably, of the 3 reviews, one party reported that they had stayed there under very similar circumstances: the host canceled at the last minute, and then pressured them into staying at the inferior apartment instead of the one they had originally booked. He finally canceled the reservation, and after being on the phone with AirBnB for an hour I was able to get my money back. This was a tremendously stressful situation, leaving me with grave concerns about this host's pattern of exploitative behavior, as well as with AirBnB's handling of the incident".

@Nick1826  There are a lot more reviews like the one above, on 'Alexandre's' listing. This makes it a lot clearer what's going on here. Sketchy AF.

Thank you for your insight!! I agree this is sketchy to say the least. Thank you again!

@Colleen253 

Well spotted. Once you begin to recognise these "hosts", you'll soon find that you're seeing them everywhere you look. The tell-tale signs, and patterns, are always there to see, even to the naked eye.

Mind-boggling that with all Airbnb's AI and machine learning and supposedly sophisticated "risk-detection" technology, that thousands of these rogue hosts apparently have free reign to carry on scamming with impunity, often for extended periods of time. 

How can this be? 

May1178
Level 2
Denver, CO

I stayed at an airbnb listing in Paris in 2019. Paris regulates short term rentals, they must have a 13-digit license number, which this listing doesn't appear to have. With additional issue of cancellations on the day of arrival, I would be leery of this listing. 

Thank you for your response! Yes I saw that and it was also a concern. 

@May1178 @Nick1826 @Colleen253 

It would be very, very quick and easy for Airbnb to abolish this type of shady "host" off the platform altogether, and wipe out all the associated problems and scams that come hand-in-hand with these bogus  "professional" operators, in one fell swoop - simply refuse to list any property that the "host" fails to provide the appropriate locally-required permit/registration number for. No Licence Number - no listing. It would be that simple, and would instantly eradicate a huge percentage of rogue operators on the platform. 

But they don't seem to want to do that, do they? They'd rather hide behind the "Oh, Arbnb is merely an internet services facilitator, and as such, we absolve ourselves of all responsibility for any scamming or illegal activity that takes place on our patch, and refuse to accept any responsibility whatsoever for the conduct of those who choose to ply their unscrupulous trade on our platform. Scamming, cheating, fraud, deception rampant on our site?? Nowt to do with us, Guv!!" charade. 

How easy it would be to "weed out" these "bad actors", if Airbnb had any will to do so. But instead, they choose the "plausible deniability" route, hide behind the shield of outdated internet laws such as Section 230 of the CDA (Communications Decency Act), and pump hundreds of millions into fighting epic court battles worldwide, in their herculean - if disingenuous - efforts to continue being recognised as just a simple hands-off, online hook-up site for hosts and guests, so that they can wangle a Free Pass from having to comply with the many rules and regulation that rightly apply to every other operator in the property services sector. Thus, of course, allowing them to evade the responsibility and accountability that applies to all other companies in the real estate and property management fields.

Hosts and guests alike need to start raising serious questions of Airbnb, as to why all this unscrupulous activity is still being permitted to happen, apparently unchecked. It's hurting guests badly, and it's hurting the reputation on decent hosts badly. In fact, the only ones benefitting from all this dodgy Airbnb activity, are the scammers and rogues. And well... it does bring in a pretty penny for Airbnb coffers too, doesn't it...? 

@Susan17, I couldn't agree more, shame on abb for not doing that. When I research a listing, I have to locate county/city/country, and google the local regulations. If I don't find a registration number where it should be one, I either message the host about it or simply stay away. Its a tedious process that abb could easily remedy. 

Recently when I messaged the potential hosts, some were not aware any local regulation, some refused to answer the question.

That’s right ! Meanwhile, these unscrupulous behavior of others affect those hosts who  provide outstanding services. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Nick1826 

Don't touch this with a bargepole. These are bait-and-switch merchants, through and through. Another classic example of the prolific "Wideboy Rentrepreneur" genre of host - fast becoming the most ubiquitous type of host on the platform. 

Book with Lorenzo, and you may end up having a satisfactory experience. There's a very, very good chance you'll get shafted though. The nefarious behaviour of these guys tends to escalate over time, as they screw more and more guests over, and they know their run (with that particular host profile) is coming to an end, as the incriminating evidence piling up starts to become too prevalent, and harder to bury. Then it's time for a brand spanking new account.. 

Avoid like the plague. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Nick1826   I think I have come across this Lorenzo in another context.  I  seem to remember that this Lorenzo/Alexandre duo specializes in renting out apartments that are for sale.  Hence there can be last minute cancellations if the apartment/property sells.  It is very unlikely that they will have a back-up property that matches the one you are looking at.  

The Airbnb-it-till-it-sells practice is definitely another favourite string-to-the-bow of the Wideboy Rentrpreneur, @Marit-Anne0. Most of them have equally-wideboy buddies working in Estate Agents offices, who pass them on the properties to hustle on Airbnb - for a nice juicy referral fee, of course - and not always, it woukd seem, with the knowledge and consent of neither the property owner, nor the estate agency itself. That's how we come to have so, so many young and clueless "hosts" on the platform now, who look like they haven't long learned to tie their own shoelaces, yet are somehow punting out impressive portfolios of high-end properties, in every market on the planet.

@Nick1826 @Susan17 @Marit-Anne0 @Colleen253 @May1178 

Using keywords "Lorenzo ABB Paris" comes up with links to a Lorenzo Libutti  who is also a noted English Football players details...

I don't believe the same named person is one & the same in this profile that @Nick1826  has linked to is the English Football player...

Look it up.

One comes up as been a Manager for ABB properties

I see James from Great Britain who has written a review for Alexandre in November 2019 has a similar background setting in his profile photo as Lorenzo & is full of praise of him as a Host.

Looks like ABB may have some work on there hands to nip this scam in the bud.

We have a listing here in Remuera, Auckland called Jamie's place who has had some appalling reviews and some of those look like they are based on the balance of probabilities written by the Host himself - he lives offshore.