Airbnb cancelled all my reservations without notice

Nancyowner0
Level 2
Arcadia, CA

Airbnb cancelled all my reservations without notice

Airbnb is cancelling all my incoming and ongoing reservations without even noticing me simply because I didn’t follow their order to kick out a guest who was report by another guest. Even ugly they are, they refund the guests with different amount but put them into one amount deducted from my account. So that those refunds will be deducted from my future payouts. Most of the canceled guests decided to stay with me pay me directly. But I have no detail of their refunds . 
Airbnb won’t send me any response about the suspension of my account. They are basically authoritarian now. This company will fail in 5 years, according to my guest.

[Title updated by Community Manager to keep it relevant to the content of the post]

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nancyowner0 

Why did you not kick out the guest when Airbnb asked you to do so ? They must have had a good reason to cancel that specific reservation. I see your account is still active and the listings are also there, although they can not be booked and are not in the search system. Is it a temporary suspension ?

Yes, it is temporary. Good question you raised. Why didn’t I kick him out? Because firstly. I talked to the man who was always so nice. He said he just invited the lady to his room and I think that is between two adults since both of them are voluntary. And airbnb called me that if the man wouldn’t leave, it will be out of airbnb responsibility. Then I said ok. Because I have my own judgment that the man is not bad person and he wouldn’t leave , not mention he is big and tall. I was not able to force him leave 

Secondly, why airbnb is arbitrary on the case? We are the host, don’t we have our right to let guests stay if airbnb want cancel it and waived their responsibility . They are authoritarians

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nancyowner0 

You wrote in another thread a female guest has reported the male guest to Airbnb because of harassment. It is a serious complaint, which Airbnb can not ignore, if it is true or not. So at that moment they have no other choice then to cancel the reservation. If you do not agree (and even can make better judgement because you are on site) will not reverse that decision. The male guest should blame Airbnb and/or the female guest for being cancelled, not you. But you as an Airbnb host must ask him to leave, as there is no reservation anymore. Sometimes there is  only one right approach, which in this case is the business approach: no contract (reservation), no stay. See it also as your protection not wanting to be involved in personal issues between guests..

You are right. Just never expected the serious consequences. How can I reactivate my account?

It is our property. Why don’t we owner have a say on the investigation? They just don’t listen to my side of story

Seems I was muddle headed and stupid in dealing with it. Thank you for help me understand it

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nancyowner0 Your story here varies a bit from what you said about the same situation that you posted on another thread. 

In that version, you say you were told that a female guest at a previous accomodation had reported him for sexual harrassment.

Yet you choose to believe the guy's story that the woman came to his room voluntarily and that presumably anything that happened was something mutually acceptable. Why would she report him if it was something between 2 consenting adults?

Your attitude in believing him over the accusation is exactly the sort of mentality that led to the Me Too movement. 

Airbnb doesn't ban guests lightly. And if they no longer want to support the reservation, then they have every right to cancel it.

If you chose to believe the guest, a total stranger to you, over what Airbnb told you, you should have just thanked them and let the booking appear to be cancelled, then made your own private arrangement with the guest. Then they would have had no reason to suspend your account.

I am confused too, but according to other guests in the same house, and also my contact with the man, I believe he is a good man and nothing there is forced agains one’s will

Me Too movement, I support it too! Thank you! I just didn’t believe anything between them. But even verbal harassment is serious, now I get it. 

@Nancyowner0  He could have appeared to be quite nice to those other guests, as he did to you. But no one else knows what transpired behind closed doors, or like you say, he could have made some inappropriate comment or advances 

to her that no one else heard or saw.

Of course it's possible that the guest who reported him had some ulterior motive, you can't just assume someone is guilty anymore than you can assume they are innocent, especially when the parties involved aren't anyone you know well.

But to address the original point of your post, if a guest comes to you through Airbnb and they tell you to kick him out, you should. As for them not contacting you again to tell you they were suspending you, I assume you argued with them the first time, saying you wouldn't comply, so it's not surprising that they closed your listing.

If you want to use a service, regardless of what service it is, you have to abide by their policies.

But I'm sorry they cancelled your bookings.

Nancyowner0
Level 2
Arcadia, CA

Now I am losing over $5000-10000 due to the suspension. But at least, airbnb should contact me after they said they are waived of responsibility. Since I thought it is personal transaction between me and the guest

@Nancyowner0  You've invented quite an idiosyncratic notion of what authoritarianism means.

As a private entity, Airbnb has every right to choose not to transact with a customer that has been deemed a safety risk. It also has every right not to transact with a host who is harboring them. 

But it's not a government that leaves you no choice of an alternative citizenship. If you think one corporate listing service is "evil," just list with another. In real-life authoritarianism, such freedom of choice doesn't exist.

Got it, thanks. Now I know why they suspended my account.