Airbnb is not an even playing filed for host. Guest use reviews to hold host ransom

John5129
Level 1
Encinitas, CA

Airbnb is not an even playing filed for host. Guest use reviews to hold host ransom

I am having issues with guests just totally ignoring our house policies and rules.

No parties, but they have parties. When you call them out, they leave you a negative and vindictive review, which bring down your ratings.
No pets, they bring pets. When you call them out and ask to pay for extra cleaning, they give you a bad review. 

Airbnb is not offering an even playing field and gives all the advantage and all the power to the guest.

Guests are using reviews as a means of getting away with breaking host rules and policy, knowing there are no consequences and holding the power of a review over the host heads.

Hosts should be able to hold guests accountable by charging them extra when rules & policies are broken and can be verified.

Guest reviews should only be based on facts not feelings. Eg. Did they have a pool as described? Yes or No... etc...

Airbnb has known this issue for some time, but no constructive change has been done. I am not the only one affected. 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John5129  Sorry you have had such bad guests, but I'm a little confused. I only see one negative review and the guest sounds like someone who should never leave home. She complains about the geckos! If course they're everywhere, they are endemic.

And I looked at the reviews you've left for guests and that one is the only one you've left a less than glowing review for.

So who are all these bad guests who are ignoring your rules and writing bad reviews? Am I missing something here?

One thing I think you should change in your listing is allowing up to 7 day visitors. Once you start allowing more people on the property than those booked and paid for, you are inviting trouble. People push the boundaries. 7 guests is plenty- 14 is a party. So if you don't want parties, forget the "guests of guests" business.

Thanks... 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@John5129 

You have 15 reviews for your place, and for 14 of these guests you trill in your review you would 'love to host them again'. One review is from someone with a beef.

I don't see any reviews you have written that mention dogs, cats, parties or Augean extra cleaning.

I get your point, but looking at your listing ( unless you are referring to another one not under your name)

nothing tallies up.

Thanks ...referring to others as well