Airbnb is not responding my URGENT messages about bad review for a guest

Answered!
Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Airbnb is not responding my URGENT messages about bad review for a guest

I have two days to write a review but I have asked twice airbnb what to do about the issue and so far I have not received any response.

Our homes are located in the middle of a conservation area in theheart of the forest. There are 4 homes here and each house is independent, completely furnished and guests have access to the trails and guided tours available in th property. Like every home, there are standard rules plus the rules of any conservation area. We are 3 ks away from a paved road and 5ks away from a very small town.

We recently followed airbnb suggestion to use instant booking as long as some requirements were met from out clients side. So one day I received a very short statement about wanting to hike the forets. That was all the communication we ever got from our 4 guests who came the next day and stayed for one night. They left to town at some point and in the middle of the night, all our other guests, some neighbors and I were suddenly awaken at 12:40 am by a vehicle that came in one of the driveways of the property full speed on a dirt road in the middle of the protected forest and passed by every house in the porperty. The car went around and left using the other driveway, got into the road and kept on doing that while playing very loud music on the radio and passengers were drinking and yelling at the same time. Neighbors called the police and guests called the owner. Finally the car stopped at the parking lot area right by one of our homes and the guys in the car kept yelling for "more". They left the car, dumping some beer cans right by it, went inside the house and by the time we were all awake, I realized that the noisy party was part of our guests. As I apporach the home I could hear the yelling and talking of these guys and how they were asking each other for money because one of them mentioned something about a striper. They were drunk and loud even inside the house and I could hear them from the outside. Two of them left on the car again after they were trying to decide wheter or not to go driving wild again and saying that in the US they could not get away with such behavior on the road. Two stayed home and when the police finally arrived they asked me to translate after questioning what I knew about the whole matter. The police was ready and asked if we were going to press charges because the traffice police needed to be involved because of the way they were driving under the influence of alcohol and who knows what else. The police was very polite and since they were guests and everyone of us who were abruptly awaken that night did not press charges they let them know their behavior was totally wrong and ilegal. The two guys were prettending to be innocent and acted like they did not care and they were just very sleepy. When the police left and the other two guys came back they said that the police did not have the guts to do anything to them because of their citizenship. I did not sleep all night it was nearly 3:30 am by then and these guys went to sleep and left some time before noon the next day. The maid found a broken blender and pitcher in the trash and there's no way of knowing if these guys did that or someone else but their lack of communication and the fact that the only review they had was from a "lady" who leaves in their neighborhood who may be a friend or relative who helped them out, is all very suspicious.

Airbnb has not answer my e-mails in two weeks about this and as much as I would hate to write a bad review I can't believe that people can come and actually get a way with this, specially when all our guests so far are nature lovers and that's whey they come here in the first place. We do not have room for party animals and red necks who think they are better than local farmers. Our neighbors, in any case, are all foreigners who decided to settle in this part of the world and the whole place was established by US friends back in the 1950's. It is a peaceful place full of wildlife.

What should I do now. The page keeps reminding me I only have 2 days to write a review.....the owner and I had a rough night due to these guests and the following morning at 6 am I had to lead a Bird Watching Tour.

I need Urgent help.

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Thank you so much. I think the last day is tomorrow and I already wrote a review. I have been asking airbnb because I did not wanted to go public with this but I guess this time you guys helped me.

It is a very difficult situation and I do not want other hosts to go through this ever.

Muchas Gracias.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Kelly58
Level 4
Vass, NC

My recommendation would be to cut and paste what you wrote here, do some minor editing and publish. Prevent this from happening to other hosts. Remember, they cant write retaliatory review for you after seeing it (Airbnb only publishes reviews after both have written them or after the 14 days has expired, at which point the guests could not write a review either).
Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Thank you so much. I think the last day is tomorrow and I already wrote a review. I have been asking airbnb because I did not wanted to go public with this but I guess this time you guys helped me.

It is a very difficult situation and I do not want other hosts to go through this ever.

Muchas Gracias.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

I would keep it short and sweet and just say something along the lines of "I would never host this person again. He and his friends were totally disrespectful." That's enough information to warn other hosts and it spares you from having to go into the details. 

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

I wish I had seen your message earlier.

I got an e-mail telling me to go ahead and write a review.

I did try to keep it as nice as I could but I may have been a bit upset as I wrote it too.

There is one day left and I am wondering if this guy will write a review or even read mine.

Thanks for your advice. I think it is very wise.

Now I will have to cross my fingers. I totally don't like this kind of situation and I wish the onwer would srite it and not me.

Any way, thank you so much for your quick reply.

Have a great rest of the week.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ok two points to make

1. I would never recommend using instant book. If you are going to use it, have superclear rules about expectations around behaviour.  You need to take some responsibility for the lack of communication. You could have messaged them to find out more about their plans and emphasise the nature of the local environment and expectations around behaviour.

To be honest I can't understand why you didn't speak to BnB and arrange for your 'guests' visit to be cancelled after their appalling behaviour, impacting not only on you, but your neighbours and having a cost on your community - police having to come out to the incident

I would suggest you turn off instant book and get a clear feel for your guests before you confirm a reservation.

2.  To be honest I can't understand why you are 'hesitating to write a bad review'. These 'guests' were appalling - they disrespected you, your neighbours and your community and could have killed someone with their dangerous driving. I would write a clear factual review....

Something along the lines of......

"Our guests said they came to hike in the forests. Unfortunately on the XXX night of their visit they returned to our quiet conservation area in the middle of the protected forest by car in the early hours of the morning at full speed on a dirt road with music playing loudly and the passengers drinking and yelling and circling around the four houses, of which our property in one.

"When they finally came to a halt they dumped empty drink cans by the roadside and some of the party went out to locate more alcohol. The rest stayed in the house and continued to shout loudly.

"Their behaviour was so bad our neigbours called the police. I then had to stay up to translate while the 'guests' were questioned. They did not seem to care about the impact of their behaviour on myself as their host, their neighbours or the community or the damage they had done to our conservation area"

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

I did try to communicate with them and they never answered. They only write one sentence.

I think they just didn't care because they got what they wanted. The good thing is that it was one night.

They made a reservation the night before and they came late in the afternoon. I saw them as I was getting home.

I had to take some visitors for a night guided walk and when I went back home they were gone.

They came back at midnight.

I did what you said, I wrote a review with detailed information.

I have been asking airbnb for the last two weeks to help me figure out what to do because I didn't want to go public.

Now that only one day is left I had no choice but to ask all of you.

Thank you so much for that.

You seem to have experience with airbnb. I am just starting and to be honest we normally get nice sweet people who want to enjoy the cloud forest. I don't always get to personally meet every guests because there are three homes here and we are about to open a new one. I also have to work because this is something I do to help the owners of my apartment I don't make any money out of it. All the messages back and forth help me get to know the people who come and that is nice.

I guess I will stop using instant booking. I will tell the owner about this.

Thanks so much for your quick and important reply.

Have a great week.

Hasta Luego!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello

I am sorry you have had such a difficult time with these guests. You mention you don't make any money out of hosting and are doing to help the owners of your apartments.

If this is the case, I would suggest you agree a fee with them for the services you are providing. If you weren't there to provide support with their hosting, they would need to pay someone else to do this.

Best

Helen

Juan11
Level 3
Monteverde, Costa Rica

You are totally right.

They do want to pay but right now they can't afford it and I do live here for free in a very rustic apartment in the middle of paradise. They alos run this conservation area and it isn't easy. We do not get many tourists because we do not feed animals and we don't pay people to recommend this preserve.

One day, we will get enough visitors and guests to be able to make enough money to earn a descent salary.

Thanks for your support.

Have a nice weekend.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I am not sure why you are waiting for advice from AirBnB. You can write a very clear, concise and honest review - other hosts need to be aware of these guests. You can also flag to AirBnB as part of that review the problems you encountered.

Thank you so much.

I don't know why I am hesitating. I guess I am not used to writing negative things about almost anything.

I am a bit afraid of what Ian may write if he cares to, after he reads my "honest" review.

I do not want to be harsh but I must admit I have been upset ever since they did that.

Good thing they only stayed one night, and what a night.

Thanks a lot really.

Some how I feel guilty, like if I had done something wrong.

Our homes have  a set of rules and we even posted the rules of this conservation area  on the page and so far people respect them really well. So far we have had wonderful guests and this just was so unexpected......

Well, muchas gracias de verdad......(thank you, truly)

Have a nice week.