Airbnb is racist

Dennis591
Level 1
Little Rock, AR

Airbnb is racist

The whole Airbnb corporation in my experience is racist and I was a victim of nasty facilities unprofessional hosts and slick compliant department. Its difficult to contact Airbnb as my family had to stand in the heat for hours then mosquitos at night because the host had something else to do. This organization is a bunch of bloodsuckers in that you dont own a single piece of property and never clean or inspect the properties.

You are a bunch of fakes and frauds and organizations like you are the worst kind because you know how to lie and hide. You jump on the movement to try to gain a share of the black and people of color market. You stated you were "going to"donate $500,000 Where is that money coming from the donations you are begging for on your lighthouse  website? Go to hell you racist lowlife liars.

You think you are slick and can pull the wool over people's eyes. If I was white and sent those photos of those filthy houses you would have broken your necks getting my money back or getting decent clean accommodations. You're a bunch of thieves you stole almost $1,000 from me and forced my family to clean up that dusty, nasty, roach infested place and didn't care less or did anything to make things right.

Clean up your own organization first before you point fingers!! 

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dennis591  I'm sorry you had a horrible experience, but you have posted this on what is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. This isn't Airbnb itself, and it doesn't seem like anyone from Airbnb corporate reads the posts here.

As far as your treatment from customer service, I can assure you that their customer service is pretty atrocious all the way around- for both hosts and guests of any and all colors. It seems to be a matter of which CS rep you either have the fortune or misfortune to end up with. Some are knowledgable and helpful, most appear to be the opposite. It's maddening and frustrating.

No, Airbnb doesn't inspect properties, but that's a pretty impossible task considering the number of listings out there in the world. That's what the review process is for. Leave an honest review to warn future guests, and low ratings. You can also report a property that is described inaccurately or is otherwise unacceptable by flagging the host's profile-there's a "Report this listing" button.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Dennis591 Airbnb are essentially middlemen, the bridge between host and guest. You've obviously had a horrid experience with a particular host, but why call Airbnb racist? Throwing accusations around like that will, quite frankly, get you nowhere.  Many hosts on this forum are having a really hard time with resolving issues with Airbnb, mainly  due to long wait times for answers to questions due to the company laying off many of their frontline staff. However I don't  read unfounded accusations like yours.

This is one of your reviews-  " I gave him a good review compared to the true condition of the house. It was a pigpen. We did not stay there for more days in fact we stayed only 5 days of the 8 days I paid for and I have the hotel receipts to prove it. The house was full of roaches and was filthy everywhere you touched. I have photos and video as proof. There were dirty raggy t-shirts for dish towels, no toilet tissue, no clean towels. " 

To be honest you sound like a guest I'd rather not have at my property. You gave a good review but then slated off the state of the house? Very odd....

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Dennis591 

Airbnb is an equal opportunity company, they screw  everybody equally, how do I know because I've  posted on these blogs nearly everyday for circa four years and the evidence is there for all to see.

Have a look at their terms & condition to see how there screwed in the companies favour.

@Cormac0 

Airbnb is an equal opportunity company, they screw  everybody equally,

Never a truer word. 

There appears to be many masochists in the membership too it seems.

@Cormac0 

:):):)

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Dennis591 Airbnbs are not hotels, so you should not necessarily expect hotel standards & norms. At one time Airbnb had the slogan 'Live like a local' - You booked in the Philippines... Perhaps the place you booked WAS like the locals live.....? You can't necessarily expect American standards in developing countries.... (Tho' I've experienced some wonderful luxury hotels & guest houses in Asia.)

Also, you can list ANY type of property on Airbnb. Airbnb started with Airbeds in someone's living room. Occasionally, you find a listing which is still like this.... 

No, Airbnb don't inspect their 700,000 listings. It would be impossible. And you could not compare like with like, cos some Airbnbs are high end, & some are a simple spare room in a host's own house - which might be luxurious, or might be very basic. Quality control comes SOLELY from guest reviews, & Airbnb will de-list places with consistently bad reviews. (Unfortunate you were the first guest, where you wrote your bad review.)

Much customer dissatisfaction comes from people NOT researching what Airbnb is before booking, then blaming the host or Airbnb, when they booked something basic, but were expecting a luxury hotel!

The responsibility lies with YOU to read the description carefully, study the photos, & be sure you know what you're booking. I note the bad review you gave was for a NEW listing with no previous reviews..... Your bad! It would have been wiser to have booked somewhere with lots of previous good reviews = satisfied customers!

Tho' I note yours is the ONLY review, & he must have stopped listing, or maybe started a new listing, so as not to have your bad review putting off future guests.

The host's review of you was highly critical, so maybe there ARE two sides to the story? (And as @Robbie54 said, you originally gave a good review, then only started throwing accusations, once the host had written disturbing things about you.)

And finally, remember that hosting may be your host's only source of income.... Think carefully before you destroy someones's livelihood....?

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Dennis591   It seems this "incident" happened almost a year and a half ago.  That begs the question, why come on this forum and complain about it now--especially, after giving the host a relatively good review? 

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Dennis591 makes you wonder. And no sign of any response to our many posts. I get the feeling this guest is a bit of a joke. 

there is a lot of it going on. you have to gived people the benefit of the doubt.

@Dennis591 if you read some of the other threads in this forum, you'll quickly see that white people are also having frustrating experiences with Airbnb's customer service. The staff handling your complaints were most likely employees of a subcontractor with a huge case load and no time or inclination to look at your profile photo and make any considerations of your racial identity.

@Dennis591 

We all get screwed equally,  there is nothing racist about it.

All equal on this platform, mate.

Nobody is special because of the colour/race.

You get treated he same as the rest of us.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I can't  see the connection between your bad experience with the platform and your skin color.  Really, I can't.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Dennis591,

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. I would like to assure you that Airbnb is fully committed to eliminating all forms of discrimination from its platform, in line with the company's Nondiscrimination Policy.

I would like to ask you to please contact the support team so they can investigate this further; I've been in contact internally and they are aware of this forum conversation.

Thanks,

Liv

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Liv I think @Ann489 has the measure of the situation..........

This guest gave his host a GOOD review, then turns up here one & a half years later, making accusations using foul language, language which makes it hard for me to take him seriously, or have any sympathy....

I do hope an innocent host won't get into trouble over a rant 18 months post (?non) event?