Airbnb keeps canceling our guests bookings!!!!

Blair110
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb keeps canceling our guests bookings!!!!

I am writing for my wife who is  a super host in Toronto for many years now. Her nerves are shot and cannot take any more.

5 days ago ALL of our bookings in one of the two bedrooms we host in our family home were cancelled by Airbnb.

When questioned she was told there was a problem with the city of Toronto registration. We  immediately contacted the city and we’re  told there is absolutely no problem with our registration as far as the city is concerned.

After 2 days of back and forth communication with all of her guests most of them were able to rebook.

Now after just one day,  she was horrified to find the exact same thing has happened to all of her guests bookings again!

We have been on the phone to airbnb host support a half dozen times now and keep getting the run around blaming the city and the city say not them. Every time we are told it will need to be escalated to an ambassador to get back to us. Like I said it has been 5 days now and we have yet to hear back from any ambassador from airbnb.

83 Replies 83

We received a message and phone call from AirBnB confirming that our registration is indeed valid.

We have been assured that staff from Airbnb will be reaching out to all of lost bookings and take care of the rebooking process.

Fingers crossed…

Update for anyone following that may be in the same boat.

it is now Sunday evening we have not had any correspondence from AirBnb since we last spoke to them on Friday, 

Our listing has been activated earlier today and we are now being flooded with requests for new bookings.  It appears all of the guests that previously booked will once again get the shaft from AirBnB and will be left feeling duped by a fraudulent host. 

We are SuperHosts in Toronto in our 5th year of hosting. On Friday, Airbnb without notice, cancelled all our reservations moving forward. Countless guests (some due to arrive in days from Europe,etc) we’re left  panicked. We were left panicked. Airbnb support non existent. The only thing they said was to contact the City of Toronto on Monday to resolve an issue with our licence. Today we contacted the City only to find out there is no problem with our licence except a slight mismatch of letter in our suite number. Therefore the Airbnb system handled that by canceling all our reservations. This could have been avoided by simply reaching out to us to clarify. We were left holding the bag. Guests were not happy, we lost bookings and Airbnb didn’t lose a dime as the guests rebooked at higher rates on their platform.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation @Blair110 @Nar3055 @@I would contact Airbnb publicly on all their social media and contact your local media to alert them to how Airbnb is putting hosts livelihood at risk if this doesn't get resolved 

I feel that is a bit extreme at this point. After all my wife has been a super host for over 6 years now and this is really the only problem we have had that was not resolved with a quick phone call.

It’s frustrating for the host and once fixed new bookings roll in quickly as there is now a shortage  of affordable short rentals in Toronto.

Guests on the other hand are getting the short end of the stick  as they loose the booking and have to find an alternative sub-optimal place at a new price.

Hi @Blair110 

I'm a reporter with CBC Toronto working on a story about this. I'm hoping to speak with you -- can you please email me? **

Thanks!
Angelina

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center. 

Another day - June 1st, 2022. We have note received a 4th batch of auto-cancellations by Airbnb. Several support ambassadors looking at this and none could help and all confirming that everything looks good to them.

Airbnb blames that the City of Toronto issues " notice of removal". City claims that the registration is valid and in good standing and do not issue any cancellation notices whatsover.  If city needs to investigate the host, they reach out to the host directly, and neve instruct Airbnb to cancel anyones' bookings

Airbnb, please fix your algorithm to check only the city registration numbers as it impacts hundreds of guests and hosts in the City of Toronto. 

I’m one of the guests on the short end of the stick as my booking was cancelled without my host’s knowledge. He manually made some changes to allow me to rebook which I appreciated but when trying to rebook the original dates are now not all available. Two weeks away from our trip and now no place to stay upon arrival. 

Hi @Brent304 

I'm a reporter with CBC News in Toronto and looking into these cancellations. I'm looking to speak with guests who were affected. Hopefully you were able to find accommodations. Either way,  can you please contact me? Thanks! **
Angelina

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center. 

Peter3450
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

My host's booking was allegedly cancelled as well and rebooking is now only available at a higher rate.

Sandra4958
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

I have booked twice in Toronto for two night in July and both got cancelled.  I'm going to a hotel!

I don't blame you! As a host - it is frustrating beyond words, and I feel bad for the guests! As hosts, and superhosts, we are out thousands from lost bookings, and AirBnB seems to evade responsibility! NO accountability! It might be time to consider other options!

Airbnb cancelled all my gosh reservations.

later they activated the smart pricing. I started receiving requests without me knowing that they were at the lowest possible rate.

if I cancel now, my host rating goes down. If I don’t cancel i lose money. 

this is an ongoing issue and clearly Airbnb does not fix it. I see it as a trick to promote new hosts and make the platform more accepted both from guest and host experience.

Hi @Sandra4958 

I'm a reporter with CBC News in Toronto working on a story about these cancellations. I'm looking to speak with guests who were affected. Can you please contact me? **

Thank you and hope you were able to find a place to stay!

Angelina

Phillip325
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Today at 2:16 p.m. I received a message from Airbnb saying Action needed, update you listing to continue hosting. At 2:17 p.m. I received notification that 42 of my bookings had been cancelled by airbnb. 42 of my guests received notification of cancelation and credit card refunds. 

Then the hell started. Within the next 30 minutes I received messages from 19 of the guests asking me why I cancelled their stay. I tried to explain it was a problem that was bit within my co tool and I was looking into it.

I contacted Airbnb to find out the issues. I was informed the city of Toronto canceled and I needed to contact the city.

For next 2 hours I tried to reach the city of Toronto short term rental department. Busy, busy busy. Finally I managed to get into the que and after 10 min spoke to someone. The told me that they were busy fielding calls from other hosts in Toronto about the same issue. It was an Airbnb platform issue. The city had not done anything or sent any request lists. This is 100% airbnb. I asked her just yo be sure yo check my registration number. She took the info, looked it up and confirmed my registration is valid and has been valid since Sept 21. No change.

When I called back airbnb to inform them they were less then helpful. I was told to update the information on the email from airbnb. 

After doing this I contacted my guest arriving the next morning and asked to try to resend booking request. (Guest was arriving from the UK and very distraught) . The booking did not work, I called back airbnb and they told me to go to setting and change length of stay to 2 days. It defaulted to 28 days when they cancelled my bookings. After doing this my guest was able to book. ( Now Airbnb had double payments for him)

Then the fun started. Within 15 minutes I received 12 new booking requests. These were new booking requests, not my originals. 

I contacted one of the new requests and told them I was unable to accept there booking as it had already been reserved. I asked them if they had a request for same time from other Toronto airbnb. Yes, turns out they had and it had been cancelled for no reason. So these were all displaced guests that airbnb had cancelled in error from other hosts.

I contacted Airbnb to ask them what to do about new bookings...I felt I had obligation to origional bookings. The told me to reject these booking. We all know as hosts, if we reject bookings it is a mark against us and our superhost status. Airbnb told me no big deal. Then I said it I reject Airbnb block these dates automatically so even the original guests will not be able to book. I was told I had to manage that. (Great customer service...right?)

Some of the guests I contacted were suspicious. Many said they would not rebook until Airbnb and returned the money. Rightfully so. 

This is my response from 1 guest. Cut and paste:

"

Hey Phillip thank you for replying
To me I contacted air and they advised me for my own safety and that off my wife and daughter that at this time it was not safe to use your accommodation I can only take there advice so sorry Phillip I won’t be (Website hidden by Airbnb) you for your prompt reply John"

Really airbnb, this is the messaging your ambassadors are telling my guests who try to rebook? 

Airbnb and not assumed responsibility. No doubt this is there error, a platform issue, and update gone bad. 

This is the response from one of the ambassadors about the issue. 

Hi Phillip,

This is Ronnie, one of the Support Ambassadors here. I hope this message finds you well. After your call with me, I received calls from other hosts who experienced the same issue. Hosts are only able to update their listing registration and make it work through Airbnb after contacting the city. As it stands we confirm that we only followed the information provided to us by the city.

Base on my experience today, host who haven't contacted the city yet are unable to resolve the issue on their listing while hosts who contacted the city prior to being able to reach me are all able to reset their listing and set minimum nights to their preference again instead of 28 nights.

My colleague told me about John's reservation. I agree that the guest was given an incorrect information, and I am very sorry. I will contact the guest about this and clarify what happened. Please let me know if you will have other questions. I will be here to help.

Regards,

...really Ronnie? You think we believe this...that a phone call to the city fixed the issue. This is pass the buck at its highest level. 

Oh...for those of you wondering how Ronnie dealt with my guest John being told it was unsafe to stay at my airbnb? 

Well here it is....

"I already reached out to John about this. I clarified that this is a registration issue and not a safety issue. I informed the guest that you are able to contact the city about this which enabled us to be able to fix the issue with your listing.

I also informed him that he can rebook with you if he is still interested"

How very helpful Airbnb. You place the blame solely on the city and on me as a host. Airbnb will not admit it is there screw up.

Shame on you Airbnb. Shame on you. You have impacted countless hosts...and worse likely hundreds of guests. Hosts and guests who pay money for your service. 

Take responsibility and fix this programing issue.