Airbnb lost me €1200

Caroline283
Level 1
Sorède, France

Airbnb lost me €1200

Airbnb cancelled a reservation by mistake and refuse to pay me back for the lost booking.

Now they even close any tickets I open immediately, without trying to find a resolution.

Here is a copy of one of their messages:

Hello can you please help resolve my request for compensation for a booking which Airbnb cancelled in error. The details are copied below:
Airbnb Support3:50 PM
Hi, Caroline.
This is Maria from Airbnb's Support Ambassador Team.
I refer to your reservation HM4NZTWTKJ with your guest Sylvain from July 12 to August 09.

The guest wasn't able to contact you and was very nervous because this was his second reservation for the same dates.

I made the mistake of mixing the date of check-in 12 July with the check-out, 9 August.

I called you twice and unfortunately I couldn't find you either and canceled the reservation, while under normal conditions I would have waited for your response at least 24 hours.

I wish to apologize sincerely for this mistake on my side, for causing you this inconvenience.
I am meeting my team to find the best solution to compensate you for this loss, for my error.

We will be back as soon as possible
Thank you for your patience and consideration

Maria
Jul 13, 2021

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Caroline283 It’s unclear what your question for the community is.

From what you’ve shared, it sounds like both the guest and Airbnb had difficulty contacting you. Going forward, perhaps you can work on being more attentive to messages, to prevent mishaps. 

That's not a particularly useful response Colleen. Airbnb have been exceptionally unattentive to my messages (they say they will call back and never do). Perhaps going forward they could refund me the money they lost me.

Well @Caroline283, you didn't ask a question, so it's difficult to be useful in that case. And so the only thing I could do is make a comment on the information you shared, which I could see likely contributed to the situation that seems to have developed. Which was...

"The guest wasn't able to contact you and was very nervous because this was his second reservation for the same dates".

"I called you twice and unfortunately I couldn't find you either and canceled the reservation."

If my thoughts aren't useful, carry on. Best of luck.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Caroline283  Airbnb is unlikely to refund you. Are they lying about the guest and Airbnb not getting a response from you? If a host or guest cannot be reached, that could be considered a valid reason to cancel the booking. 

And the message you got from the Airbnb rep indicates that they are looking at your refund request. So I am also wondering what help you are looking for here.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Caroline283, @Colleen253 , @Sarah977 , @William810 

It used to be that there were 3 sides to every story.  Now it seems to be 5...

1 - Guest

2 - Hosts

3 - Airbnb

4 - Technology

5 - The real truth