Airbnb not honoring an agreed upon refund, still can't claim it after many days

Frank1564
Level 2
New Haven, CT

Airbnb not honoring an agreed upon refund, still can't claim it after many days

Hello community, last week I arrived at an apartment that ended up not being fit for guests, and Airbnb is not honoring a refund plan they discussed with me, and they keep making me restate and restart my case. I discovered some initial problems, and then more problems as some days went by. At first, I found an unsecure door handle on the front door, a clogged sink, and no gas for the stove/oven. Also, after a few days I went to try the toaster and roaches came out of it when I turned it on.

I tried to solve the issues with the host in good faith from the start of the issues, and gave him a chance to fix the problems. Every day he would say someone is coming to fix things, and no one would show up. He even asked me if I could pay for the maintenance person and then "he would pay me back"... Finally, I contacted Airbnb, and we made an agreement that if the host did not fix everything, I would be entitled to a cancellation/refund package. Quickly after that call, the host sent a maintenance person, however not all of the issues were resolved. They did nothing about the cockroaches nor was I given any updates as to what was going to be done.

So after letting Airbnb know that he did not fix all of the problems, I wanted to accept the refund agreement we made, but no one has been able to process this. They make me start entering my details from the beginning as if they don't have a log of all of my information. I'm losing a lot of time (and money) on my trip here trying to resolve this, but I just don't know what to do anymore. If anyone could give me guidance that would be amazing, thanks. 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Frank1564 Did you ever cancel/terminate the stay or did you complete the reservation. If the latter then it is unlikely you will get a full refund.

The stay is still "in progress" because I've been trying to get them to cancel the stay and no one can seem to do that for me. If I cancel it on my own, I don't think I'd receive the agreement I made with the ambassador?

The reservation is not completed

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Are you still in the listing, @Frank1564?

I am not in the listing currently, I couldn't be there any longer, and I wasn't getting support to resolve my original claim, and I kept having to restart with people.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Frank1564 to have any chance of a refund I think you need to cancel the stay.

Thanks for the reply! My impression was that I was cancelling it with an Airbnb team member because of the agreement we made. So you're saying I need to cancel it first and then swing back around to the agreement arragements? 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Frank1564, thank you for flagging this here. I'll pass this on to the team for review. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen