Airbnb not returning Service Fee

Jim1481
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Airbnb not returning Service Fee

Hi, I cancelled my Airbnb booking during lockdown the day before the final 50% was due. I did that because I knew we would not be able to go due to covid-19/health reasons, and I did not want to take the risk of paying this other 50%. At the time of the cancellation, Airbnb's extenuating policy did not cover my trip. It does now, so I requested a refund. The host has given this but Airbnb has not, citing that i should have waited until they had extended the cancellation, risking me losing the 2nd 50%. I have found companies to be fair during COV-19, and likewise I have been fair as a customer and to customers. Airbnb is the only company who has not been fair. Has anyone else had this experience ? and can offer any advice ? Cheers

2 Replies 2
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Jim, I'm responding in part to give you some visibility & perhaps savvier advice but the consensus is that tweeting about your problem is more effective than calling customer service. I'd suggest enlisting the media fluent in your circle to chime in on that platform on your behalf-not all of us tweet after all. Airbnb is very prompt & cheerful about refunding payments to hosts and it is rather twisted to tell you to make a full payment and then wait for policy to catch up to common sense before asking for your refund. Make some noise & good luck!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jim1481 without knowing the dates of your planned stay and the location its hard to say whether or not the stay should be refunded. I assume that you read the cancellation policy when you entered into a contract with your host. If so what have they/Airbnb done wrong?