Airbnb payout in a different currency to listing

Gus9
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Airbnb payout in a different currency to listing

I have a property listing in Italy and quote in Euro. However, Airbnb have paid out in Pounds and take a 10% commission on the conversion. I hav a euro account and I want the full refund of 3,255 to be paid in Euro not in pounds. 

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I called Airbnb Payments UK Ltd +44 2033181111 because I am experiencing a similar issue.

I have a property in Spain that I set it up in Euros as payment method for my guests (I thought it will make easier for guests to book and compare with similar properties around the area and avoid fluctuation on exchange rates) although my paypal account is UK based as I am a UK resident.

Unfortunately this was a mistake for me as Airbnb terms and conditions estates that when the payout currency differs from the payment currency then the money will be exchange to $ (US dollars), then Airbnb will charge a 3% for exchanging back to the payout currency. So the Euro payment taken by Airbnb is exchanged to Dollars and when the guest arrives to my place those Dollars are exchanged to Pounds (not sure what exchange rate they take, current or the original when the payment was taken, plus obviously the 3%).

I am currently seeking advice and waiting for a reply from Airbnb on this methodology as reviewing payments from them to me in Pounds and comparing with the original Euro payment as sometimes the fee taken has reach well over the 3% stated on their terms and conditions.

I will recommend to call them and hopefully if more of us are having the same issue and complaint they will try to make more transparent and fair theirs terms and conditions.

I hope everything explained previously makes sense as it took me a while to make sense of it myself.

Gaby79
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Jordie24 

I am having such a problem resolving this same issue.

What was your solution in the end?

I am guessing but in your particular case the payout method set up on your Airbnb account must be a British bank/paypal account.

And unfortunately you have been tricked with the 3% fee + high exchange rates.

I will make a complaint on the UK phone giving on my previous post and hopefully they will review it (it is what I am doing at the moment).

In order to avoid this situation again you should set up your Airbnb payout preferences with an euro bank account, this way the listing and the payout method match.

Ron136
Level 2
Megali Mantineia, Greece

Hi.

I think we have got the same problem.  The property is in Greece and I am a resident in the UK and would like the payment to be made into our Greek bank Euro account.  The bank account has been successsfully verified and set to our prefered payout method.

Am I right in thinking that I can just change the currency tab at the bottom of the manage your space page and if that matches the currency of the payout method that there will be no currency conversion?

Thanks

Ron

Szymon16
Level 1
Antalya, Turkey

Can anyone say exactly how much you got in GBP versus how much EUR you were supposed to be getting and the payout date (so I can check the exchange rate?).

I tried to ask support both on the phone and online chat, but their responses are not very informative, Airbnb support seems to have no clue about that issue.

I am quite pissed off because the guests paid 918 EUR, my payout shows 750 EUR, and if they convert to USD, then to GBP, then I have to withdraw EUR from my GBP account, I am probably looking at only 50% of what the guest paid.

A good way is to ask the guest pay for 1 night with the booking, and pay the rest by card / cash in person to me on arrival.