Airbnb permits needed in Hillsborough County, Florida

Mireya2
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Airbnb permits needed in Hillsborough County, Florida

Afternoon, could some of the hostess of Hillsborough County, Florida advice me as to what permits or other form I need to complete in order to get my airbnb going?  I have tried searching in the county's website and found nothing.  Do I need to get a permit, if not a permit, do i need anything else from the goverment office before I start??  My address is Tampa, but I am out of city limits.  I am in Hillsborough County  Thank you so very much for any information anyone could give me.  It is really appreciated. 

27 Replies 27
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

I had to contact the county that I live in and get a "Transient Room Tax Reporting Form" and I must report each month's income and figure out the tax that I owe and send the county a check for that amount.

Contact your county offices and ask them what is needed to rent a room in your home.

You do all this stuff if... If you want to be legal.  If you don't care about such things... shrug... Then don't.  🙂 

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
[link removed]

April34
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I have searched and searched for this information myself. Do I need a City of Tampa permit, a Hillsborough County license/permit, or a Florida State business licenses (DPBR)? If you look at the DPBR page, under vaction rental, things get complicated and scary. Are we really regulated by the hotel guidelines 😕 No matter who I've talked to, no one seems to know. Airbnb has no idea either. Am I covered now that Airbnb is collecting occupancy tax? Did you ever find any better answers? 

What I do believe to be true, is forming an LLC. My LLC will rent my home, not me personally. The LLC will be liable. ((I'm also looking into a commerical home owners insurance policy. Beware: Airbnb's liablity insurance only kicks in when yours has run out and it doesn't cover damage to your property...only your insurance does.)) 

Hi April,

Did you ever find further details? I will be renting my house out in seminole heights soon.

Regards,

Seth **

Did you list your property yet in Seminole Heights? Let me know if you have any questions or help. I have one listing and adding a couple of more. 

Hey Jordan, Is there a city ordinance restricting rentals in Seminole Heights to 30 night minimums since it is a residential neighborhood??

what all would someone need to get to list a property ? what are the regulations

Hi April, 

I can not find any info on wheter or not I need a permit for my airbnb which is on same property as my residence.  Do you have any answers yet? Thanks in advance, wendy

I have not found any definite answers from any one person. No one seems to know. 

I did acquire a "Certificate of Rental" from the City of Tampa....and I went with commercial insurance. 

Where were you able to find an insurance company that you could work with? We live in Hillsborough county too. Would like to meet some other AirBnB hosts in the area:-) Thanks for this thread. 

I was able to get a commercial policy with Lloyds of London. My pleasure. 

I would like to connect with AirBnB hosts too.

there is a group called Airbnb hosts- Tampa bay on facebook 

HI APRIL

can you give me the information  to get the rental certificate and insurance

Hi gang!  I'm new to this as well and want to offer my entire home up as an Airbnb rental.  Would really love to get some concrete info to keep myself out of trouble and protected.  I agree that the LLC route is the way to go, along with an insurance provider that covers you with their eyes wide open.  Airbnb really should make this a lot easier for us hosts by provided everything they know for our area...they obviously have a legal team that arrived at the current deal with Hillsborough County so I'm sure they have a ton of info they could pass along to us willing hosts!  Please share whatever you find out.  I will most certainly do the same!  Good luck!