Airbnb plans stock market splash in 2020

Karl925
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Airbnb plans stock market splash in 2020

Hi guys
Some of you may have heard, that AirbnB plans to enter the stock market. In Europe and as fas as I know in the states too,  it is very usual that the management  of a company which plans to enter the stock market prepares a fair offer to their employees ... to give them a chance to participate on that deal.  
Corresponding to that I think that we as hosts and superhosts are the capital from AirBNB and should receive such an offer or a similar chance.

How do you see that? 
best wishes to all
Karl

P.S.

of course a reply regarding this topic directly from AirBnB would be great

8 Replies 8
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Karl925  I’m thinking they will hold back now as Europe faces its 2nd wave . Maybe the new year?  But IMO I would rather be gifted shares than the 4 quarterly superhost bonus  @Airbnb 

Considering they expire as well. Not a real value to the host at all.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Karl925 start-ups grant stock options to attract and retain employees, when they may not be able to match the salaries of larger firms, and the employment may be less secure. They don't need to do this to attract and retain hosts, so it would be a poor business decision and I very much doubt they will.

@Karl925

Rule 701 - the relevant SEC rule governing equity awards of private companies - states that only employees or investors are eligible for stock options and equity ownership under current rules for private companies. As Airbnb hosts are (technically) classed as paid contractors, that would exclude them from eligibility. 

However, as you mentioned, many companies entering the stock market do come up with plans to allow participation, in one form or another. For example, as Uber geared up for its public debut last year, the company allotted 'appreciation bonuses' of up to $40000 for drivers that had logged over a certain number of rides, as a reward for their loyalty and commitment to the service. The company also set aside 5.4 million shares for drivers to purchase at IPO price. 

Uber put over $300 million toward the program that gave a significant portion of their longest-standing and most prolific drivers - 1.1 million of them  - either a straight cash bonus or the chance to put their awards towards buying IPO shares.

Lyft had previously offered a similar program for its drivers too, and even invited many of them along to the Nasdaq opening event in LA. 

Rather than following suit and implementing a similar immediate cash bonus/rewards structure to show the company's 'care and appreciation' for its most tenured and accomplished hosts - and indeed, ease some of the severe financial pain and hardships many in the host community have suffered throughout this horrendous year - Airbnb has instead concocted a 'creative' Host Endowment Fund scheme. 

The (tax-deductible) Host Endowment Fund will be seeded with 9.2 million shares, with funds not due to be invested in hosts until the value of the endowment exceeds $1 billion.

The four key areas where the Airbnb-controlled fund will reportedly eventually spend some money include:

• Emergency funds for hosts in times of crisis.
  • Investment in new products to support host success.
  • An annual payout to a select group of hosts who most advance the Airbnb mission.
  • Grant programs to support education costs for hosts and their families.

With the IPO shares currently valued at $34.88, that would mean that there will be just over $320 million in the pot to start with, so the endowment will need to more than treble in value to reach the $1 billion threshold before a cent of it is ever disbursed. 

Don't hold your breath. 

Penelope

@Katie  might be interested in this instead of discounting the request. By the way Katie what kind of offer is Airbnb giving to employees as to IPO stock purchase?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cléo-and-Carl0, I'm afraid right now we’re still unable to talk about the public offering due to SEC regulations. Once we can share more, we will 😊 

Karl925
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

They (in the AIRBNB-Management)  are all adult. I'm sure, they know that you will earn loyality if you seeding loyality. If founding a silly fund, with silly conditions which will not help their hosts, but only themself might be a good idea. The question is, if the majority of their capital (=hosts) will feel, that this fund is a proper instrument and the right way to receive loyality. As most of them gave their loyality within the last years.
"Where there is will, their is a way"... regarding all legal stuff. We (the hosts) made AirBnB great and  therefore we should have a chance to participate early at this IPO

Kathy988
Level 2
New York, NY

Is it possible to purchase the shares still through Airbnb?