Airbnb punishing innocent hosts with inept implementation of no party policy

Marty-and-Melanie0
Level 2
Strangford, United Kingdom

Airbnb punishing innocent hosts with inept implementation of no party policy

I’m really angry about the way Airbnb have treated me. As a bit of background I am a long time Airbnb superhost.  I am extremely responsible, I follow all the rules and have followed covid regulations to the letter this past difficult year. I am a model host, the only problem is Airbnb don’t think so.  

It started last year with an email informing me my listing had been suspended as I was advertising parties in breach of the new policy. I was shocked as I was doing nothing of the sort, in fact, in my rules I state clearly no parties. The whole tone of the communications was very heavy handed. I protested my innocence, explained surely there was some mix up but to no avail.

I made all the changes to my listing that were demanded. In fairness, on reflection I could understand (a little) how the misunderstanding had occurred. I had not updated my listing post covid, and because it is a big property naturally the description mentioned being suitable for large groups, etc, there was one particular phase that mentioned being suitable for “wedding parties”, in this context I meant “wedding groups”, as we are next to a wedding venue. It was a bad experience but I forgot about it.

A few days ago I get another email. Even more heavy handed this time, now I’m a repeat offender, back at it, advertising parties again. My account has been suspended, my bookings have been cancelled. I’m totally confused – surely this is a mistake. I’m told I must add a statement in the main description stating no parties, but it is already there, I added it the last time! I’m told I must delete references to being suitable for large families and groups of friends, it sleeps 10 people these are just facts, in no way do they promote parties. My listing is completely unchanged since the last time when I made all the changes and was approved to be re-listed. What is going on?

I replied to explain everything and got a  fast response telling me that the decision was final. No explanation, no response to my questions. I’m guilty as charged. I replied once again,  asking for help, no response – I guess that’s it. Its crazy.  

Is this happening to other innocent hosts? Your advice / help much appreciated.

Sorry about the huge post – I think I’m using it as therapy!

Marty

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Marty-and-Melanie0 if you look through this forum you will find you are the 3rd (maybe 4th) UK host to be suspended this week. @Nick might be able to help otherwise I would advise your only recourse is a small claims court action claiming the lost revenue for Airbnb's heavy handed approach.

Good luck and do keep us informed how you get on.

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

I'd suggest looking carefully at the small print before taking court action. I hasten to add that I have not done so. But I suspect that this huge corporation will have used expensive lawyers to draft its terms... 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Clare167 The terms allow arbitration (expensive) and court action (cheaper). The chance of Airbnb actually contesting the case is somewhere close to zero. The problem is that they might, in a fit of pique, ban you from the platform but this becomes irrelevant if you have already been delisted.

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 . I still feel that the host would need to check whether they have any contractual right to be, and to remain, listed, or whether Airbnb reserves a discretion on that. (If the latter, one might perhaps argue for an implied term governing the exercise of that discretion.)

Marty-and-Melanie0
Level 2
Strangford, United Kingdom

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies, really appreciated. 

Just to be clear I have been suspended but if I make the changes demanded I may get re-listed after 1 month. The frustrating thing is that this all happened before, I already made all the changes they wanted and got re-listed. Since then I haven't changed a word on my listing but now I've been suspended again. They are asking for statements to be added that are already there, it is clearly a mistake. When I tried to point this out I'm told the decision has been upheld and is final.  

To be honest I'm not interested in legal action, I'll just close my Airbnb account. I can't help but think if someone from Airbnb with an ounce of common sense looked at the situation they would realise they have made a major error. 

Thanks,

Marty

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Marty-and-Melanie0   

I think You and I and we all agree that no human being at airbnb is actually „reading“ Your listingdescription. They have a software that is scanning Your text for Keywords and if the software does find a suspicious word Your listing automatically gets suspended.

I understand that You have been through this before so the question is:

• Why did You pass the keyword check last year but do not pass it now,
    despite the fact that You haven't changed anything?

2 possible answers:

• They have added new keywords to the keyword search

• It's just a malfunction in the keyword software.

My proposal would be that You change or delete a couple of words in Your despription and then write to airbnb, that You have made the requested changes. I know that You don't know what changes they request but don't scratch Your head over this,  just give it a try.