Airbnb really **beep** up everything they should done as a software company

Zehua0
Level 1
Canada

Airbnb really **beep** up everything they should done as a software company

Think twice before using airbnb and booking house on this app. It is our mistake that we did not read the hundreds of words’ description carefully. Firstly, we made reservation on Aug 31 and the host sent us the rules on Sep 5. Especially at that day we did not have a chance to cancel the reservation with 50% refund which could have got the refund if the rules and questions were sent on the day we made reservation.

Secondly, since we knew there is a home rule that at least one of the tenants has to be over 30 yo, we were trying to discuss a compromised solution because we did not want to cancel our trip and got no refund. Because that time the host sent us the questions and rules had already passed the deadline of 50% refund(highly doubt if this was on purpose). We messaged the host saying if we could still check in if we invited another friend who is over 30 yo to join our trip so that we would not have to cancel our plan. Our friend, she said yes. HOWEVER, the host never replied. We were like begging the host to reply if this could work since we spent 1000 dollars already. Guess what the host never replied! Even said no would be respectful enough. But no, the host did not say a word.

Thirdly, we thought that the host would msg us on the day we checked in and we still had hope so we drove 4 hours to Lion’s Head (bc the check-in hour on the airbnb was 6-9pm, we were just concerned that the time she replied with an answer would be too late for us to drive there). Guess what, we were too naive! Lol, the host never replied until now. So we drove another 4 hours to go back home 😄.

Finally, we never checked in the status saying that we checked in so we did not even get the refund of cleaning fee wuhoo! And oh, we turned to help for airbnb and they did not do **bleep** on this. Never use airbnb again. If there are certain rules for renting like age restriction then don’t put that rule in the middle of hundreds of lines of the description or send the rules and questions the time when the client booked. Also, for airbnb, if there is new policy in certain country for making reservation like age restriction then DO NOT allow the user to book when his/her profile shows that s/he is not qualified. You are a software company and do your thing. I guess this comment might got deleted bc the airbnb only worked for the hosts! Never mind! Losing more and more users would be an asset to your company to grow right?

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Zehua0 

If your communication with this host is recorded on the message system, the you should contact Airbnb, as this host is not OK. Also you can report the host (via de link on the profile).

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Zehua0 

IMHO the age restriction is only allowed if it is a requirement by local law or by Terms or Rules connected to the building, the park, etc...where the accomodation is part off. This must also be mentioned in the listing, otherwise it is violation of Airbnb nondiscrimination policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnbs-nondiscrimination-policy-our-commitment-to-inclusio...

I understand you did not read all rules before you booked, but tried to comply with it after the booking, but host did not respond at all. I suggest to contact Airbnb and complain. I am rather sure the host will be in trouble.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Zehua0  If reading "hundreds of words", which I would say would be an average word count for Airbnb listings, is too taxing for you, then I don't see why you are somehow trying to blame the host for you not bothering yourself to read the description thoroughly. Hosts spend time making sure that everything about their listing is clear, in order to avoid misunderstandings. They can't force guests to read it, nor can they be expected to restate everything that was there for you to read in the first place,  simply because you were too lazy to. 

It's certainly not okay for hosts to be unresponsive to guest messages, but when you didn't receive a timely answer from the host, I fail to understand why you would drive 4 hours on the assumption that your booking would be honored. You should have contacted Airbnb when you didn't receive a response, to explain what was happening and see if they would contact the host so you knew whether this reservation was still valid or not.

But the bottom line here is that all of this could have been avoided had you simply been attentive to what was written in the listing ad. Which is the guest's responsibility. If you have trouble focusing on anything written which is longer than a 2 line text message, then you are going to experience many other issues in life having nothing to do with Airbnbs. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Zehua0,

You are posting to a site for guests and hosts to exchange comments about Airbnb, but it's not Airbnb customer service.  It sounds like you are not very familiar with Airbnb policies, and guest requirements.  Airbnb is a reservation platform, and hosts are allowed to set their own house rules.  You would have gotten the same results had you booked through Booking.com or Expedia, and they also have a lot of writing on their sites.  You should call them if you have a question or issue.  Since you waited until after the reservation had officially started, there wasn't much that could be done. 

Although you did not have read all of the listing details before you made the reservation, you did have a 5 day free cancellation period to review what you may have missed.  I am not sure how you made the booking, but I recommend using a laptop or desktop when making reservations, because the screens are larger than a phone and it's easier to see more information.  Read everything and ask questions before spending your money.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

So the host wasn't there when you arrived? It sounds like that's the main issue. If that's not the issue, then please clarify.

Sometimes when I get upset, I magnify all the other things I was upset about so that I can make the other person (the host) and anyone else involved with them (Airbnb) super wrong! I've learned that just makes me look suspicious and totally weakens my position, even if it was strong. 

If it was in the listing that the hosts didn't accept guests under 30, then if doesn't matter when they sent the rules restating it. It's on you for overlooking it the first time. 

If they didn't reply to your messages and weren't there when you arrived, then you have a case, and you can report it through the platform. If Airbnb doesn't refund you, then look up their customer service phone number in an online search, and more importantly, have your credit card company try to get the money back.

Keep it simple. Don't make yourself a super victim. If you got screwed, stick to how you actually got screwed. Trying to add more sins to the pile to try to make you look angelic when in fact you were in the wrong is a really immature way to handle things in this situation and in life. 

Heidi588
Level 10

Ugh, I hate how I wrote that example where I put things in parentheses! I was trying to make it applicable to your situation in the present. I learned that lesson long ago in life, and it was uncomfortable when I recognized how I was playing a victim role and undermining the strength of my position when I was genuinely wronged. 

@Heidi588 You are my new favorite person.

Heidi588
Level 10

@Ann72  ♥️and 🤣

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heidi588  You're my new favorite poster, too. You should give guest tutorials to teach Airbnb guests what are acceptable complaints and what are not, and what are their responsibilities as opposed to the hosts'. I've seldom read guest posts here which have such understanding of what it means to act like a mature adult and not blame others for things which aren't their fault.

Heidi588
Level 10

Thanks, @Sarah977.! Whether it's the host or the guest, it comes down to boundaries and personal responsibility. If I were to do tutorials, it would be about those two things. I would even do a tutorial for hosts on how to protect and maintain their boundaries and not give in to the fear of a bad review, and to respect the boundaries of guests (not just what I recently posted about). How many of us learn these things in everyday life? Not many! Then put us all together, guests and hosts, who are often everyday people having business relationships with each other in the hospitality and service realm, and OMG! 

@Heidi588  You've got some posts ahead of you!

I was thinking today about what a SuperGuest might look like.  A top quality would be someone who takes personal responsibility for things like understanding the cancellation terms and the house rules, both of which can be easily seen at the bottom of every listing's page.