Airbnb refunding a guest that cancelled on the day.

Maria2704
Level 2
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Airbnb refunding a guest that cancelled on the day.

I have been a host for about 3 years. Today I had a guest due to arrive, (check in time being anytime after 3pm) at 12.10pm she messaged me to say she wasn't going to bother coming because she thought the weather wasn't going to be good. She had booked for two nights. I am on a moderate cancellation policy and Airbnb have given her a 50 percent refund, they say she can cancel anytime within the 5 days before the check in date.  This doesn't make sense. That means they can cancel anytime and get a 50 percent refund. Normally when this happens I get paid in full and the dates blocked. I have been on the phone 4 times today, 3 times the line kept braking up on their end. The whole things seems very strange. Can anyone clarify please.

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Maria2704   I am not sure I understand your issue.  According to the policy, the guest was refunded correctly.  You will receive 50% for each night of her reservation without having to host her.  Not exactly free money, but something.  Perhaps you are thinking about the strict cancellation policy as better suited to your listing.  

Your statement:  "Normally when this happens I get paid in full and the dates blocked."  I don't know of any guest cancellation that results in the host dates being blocked.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Maria2704 

The moderate cancellation policy says:

"If the guest cancels less than 5 days in advance, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the nightly rate for remaining nights will be refunded."

So if the reservation was 2 nights, you should receive 100% of the rate for the first night and 50% of the rate for the second night.

Refund for the guest: The cleaning fee and 50% of rate for second night.

Best regards,

Emiel

Maria2704
Level 2

In the past I had a couple turn up at 12.30pm because I wasn't there to let them in (as check in is after 3pm)  I was at work they left and cancelled their booking. I was paid in full and the three nights they had booked were blocked. Airbnb asked me if I wanted to give a refund and I said no because the room was there and ready they just hadn't read the description properly. So I don't understand.

Maria2704
Level 2

Also August was extremely busy every night but 3 not booked, So not a point of getting paid to do nothing. Those dates would have been booked and therefore I have lost earnings. The chance of them being booked now (tonight and tomorrow)  is slim.

@Maria2704 I also do not understand your claim. According to the moderate cancellation policy, the guest should be refunded the cleaning fee and 50% of unused nights, as others have said. 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

I use the strict policy on my more expensive listings, for this very reason.

And I have never heard of dates being blocked due to a guest cancellation (which would make no sense at all). The scenario you describe sounds more like a no-show, i.e. the guest doesn't cancel and doesn't appear. In that scenario, you would be paid in full and the dates would remain blocked.