Airbnb refusing to pay host

Answered!
Stephen1192
Level 1
Naples, FL

Airbnb refusing to pay host

Airbnb is refusing to pay host. I have waited the 7 days. I have contacted customer service without resolution. I have been given numerous excuses and have had my post removed due to an "Unexpected error" 

After the tenant contact is complete, I will be removing my post. If I'm not paid prior to the tenant contract expiring, I will be forced to sue Airbnb for compensation. Unfortunately, the costs of lawyers fees are less than the amount owed. 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephen1192  I see you have a new listing, no reviews. New hosts have to wait for the payment for their first booking for up to 30 days- this is standard and normal. After that, your payments should be as normal- 24 hours or a few days after check-in.

And when you get that "unexpected error" message when trying to post, it isn't that your post has been removed. This site is glitchy, and messages time-out and sometimes disappear into cyberspace when you hit Reply. Copy your posts before hitting Reply so you can just paste hem back in a new message box quickly and then hit Reply again.

And FYI, if you think you are talking to Airbnb here, you aren't. This is just a discussion, vent, ask questions forum for hosts and guests.

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephen1192  I see you have a new listing, no reviews. New hosts have to wait for the payment for their first booking for up to 30 days- this is standard and normal. After that, your payments should be as normal- 24 hours or a few days after check-in.

And when you get that "unexpected error" message when trying to post, it isn't that your post has been removed. This site is glitchy, and messages time-out and sometimes disappear into cyberspace when you hit Reply. Copy your posts before hitting Reply so you can just paste hem back in a new message box quickly and then hit Reply again.

And FYI, if you think you are talking to Airbnb here, you aren't. This is just a discussion, vent, ask questions forum for hosts and guests.

I have been a host for 4 years and they are now holding my payment for 7 business days after check in.  No warning or explanation.  I have spoken to them many times and they are telling me that this is standard banking procedure and it's always been this way.  I can easily prove it has never been this way, and I am very concerned. 

Cathy170
Level 3
Saint Paul Charlestown Parish, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Well it is 2024 and getting worse!  I have been waiting on a payout since December 18th and no one can tell me what the holdup is.  I have been with Airbnb for 6 years, so I’m not new and I used to get the money within 3-5 business days, but that has sure changed!  Worst part, it is a clients house I rented and he is absolutely furious and can’t believe I haven’t caused this.  Tired of the anger directed at me every day!

Cathy Yearwood
Stephen1192
Level 1
Naples, FL

Thank you for responding, but I believe you are in error. Not even customer support claimed that new listing have to wait 30 days before payment.

The excuses I have received have been:

1) The bank is withholding funds. (bank confirmed no hold or deposit)

2) The bank is still processing the funds. (confirmed proper bank account, no transaction ID from Airbnb)

3) The tenant hasn't paid.

Nor is it listed in the terms and agreements, that a host need to wait an additional 30 days prior to being paid. 

"Standard" and "Normal" violations of terms and agreements are just that. Violations. Airbnb market cap is valued at 81.5 BILLION, they can afford to fix the 'glitches' in their website. 

I believe these discrepancies are intentional to avoid payment.  

I am experiencing the same problem.

This problem just started in May 2021.  I have always been notified of payment with 24 hours of the guest checking in and within 48 hours the funds were in my account.  I have contacted customer service for the past three days with no resolution.  

In addition, the market cap for Airbnb has drastically declined.  If you pull up the most recent articles from 2021 Airbnb is loosing Billions..... 

They are obtaining a Billion dollar loan at a 10% or higher interest rate.  This is a big red flag!

Yup, same problem, all of a sudden, I'm not getting my money and the representatives are evasive.  I will not be re-listing my other properties and am questioning staying with Airbnb, which is sad.  I've been a superhost more than 4 years and I've liked it until this week.  Drastic change in practices and attitude.  This might explain it. 

Hello, 

Ive been having the same problem since May 2021. Have you had your payments flowing? The customer service doesnt answer my messages and they still owe me some money. Just trying to figure out what the best option is.. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Stephen1192 

Once the guests have checked in, hosts get paid typically 1-2 days after their arrival. If guests are staying in the rental for more than 28 nights, the hosts get paid monthly. If a host is new to Airbnb and receives their first reservation, Airbnb may take 30 days to paythe host.

Not anymore.  I've been a host for 4 years, and all of a sudden they are trying to tell me that 7 business days after check in in standard banking procedure.  I've been in touch with many representatives, it's not their fault, but they try to tell me it's always been this way when I know for a fact it has not.  When I ask why the change they will not answer the question.  I'm quite concerned. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephen1192 

what @Sarah977  and @Dale711  told you is right.  Airbnb CS reps are not always well trained and you will find better answers here on CC from other hosts than from some, paid CS reps, unfortunately. I am a host for 4 years and I also had to wait one month to get my first payment, but since then all payments were made the day after each check-in

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephen1192  No, it isn't written anywhere that I am aware of, but it is still how it works, it isn't a glitch. Although Airbnb has plenty of glitches.

As @Branka-and-Silvia0  said, CS reps are ill-trained, often give incorrect and incomplete information, and you have probably read more of the Airbnb policies than they have.

Just stick around this forum for awhile and you'll get the picture of how much real help hosts get from Airbnb CS reps. It's a sad state of affairs. Come here or other hosting forums for advice and answers from other hosts. Only go to CS when it's something that only they can deal with, otherwise you'll waste vast quantities of time and likely be led astray, as you were.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 The fact that the first reservation can take up to 30 days to be paid IS clear in the Airbnb terms. We were paid much quicker than this but it does seem to take longer for some people. @Stephen1192 If you really want to sue Airbnb I suggest you at least read the Ts and Cs properly or you will certainly waste your money.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Where is that written, do you know? I've just never seen it, but I've not drilled down into every article.

I know I got paid right away on my first booking, back in late 2016, so I assume it wasn't always like that. But I had my listing up for at least a month or two before getting my first booking, so maybe that had something to do with it- plenty of time for all my info to get verified.