Airbnb robbed me

Airbnb robbed me

I let someone stay in my house for one week through airbnb. I was supposed to get paid out on Feb. 3rd 2017. Today is April 9th and I have emailed the Airbnb help center dozens of times and the customer support I have received is terrible because they told me that the person they let stay in my house has not paid them yet. My question is, why would you let someone stay in my house for free!?! I trusted airbnb to handle the money and I did my part by being a good host. I have been patient for over 2 months and emailed the help email address dozens of times and all I get is halfass brief responses and no real help. Airbnb owes me the money whether or not they collect the money from the guest, right!?! I feel like I have been robbed by airbnb. Just to be clear, airbnb let someone live in my house for one week, for free, because they didnt collect the money. Btw, that guest absolutly trashed my house too! SO WRONG in so many ways!!

25 Replies 25
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jacob52 I am sorry to hear that, It shouldn't happend but It seems you are not the only one. I see here on forum that it happens from time to time 

Host should be payed 24 h after your guest has arrive. We all should think about what to do if our payment doesn't arrive at time. To terminate the guest stay and cancel? If we do that our dates will be blocked, we would be penalized etc... If we let him stay we may end up like you, without being paid and with trashed place. Maybe the only option we have it to contact ABB and let them investigate... but then I wander how much time they need to do it...

I don't understand how is it even possible to book without paying? Maybe he payed with stolen credit card and than the bank cancelled all transactions?  But Airbnb should be informed about it and should inform you too... Strange..

Hey, thanks for your story. I can't even find an email address for airbnb for a disputed amount we received. How do you get in contact with airbnb?

i could not get the help i needed though the help email address, therefore, i took to social media to tell my story and that is when I got an immediate call, email, message, and an apology and received the full amount that was owed to me right away even though the guest did not pay airbnb. my faith is restored in airbnb because airbnb saved the day! thanks for all your support!

I've been waiting for over 5 months to be paid for a Guest that extended.  Same as you, dozens of emails and speaking to 6 people at Airbnb have not helped me get paid.  It's unbelievable customer service.  They have told me they have not collected that amout from the Guest yet.  I'm not sure I care.  They still owe me the money.  What social media did you go to.  I have o choice but to start screaming my story to anyone that will listed until Airbnb does something about it.

1-855-424-7262 please call this number ..............they can research and advise. Good luck.

Simon170
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I think Airbnb is over, we have our properties on all the other sites now and I have been on hold for over two hours on the phone to Airbnb! They have done a United Airlines/Pepsi!

In the words of a local, These people are gettibg right on my **bleep**ing nerves!

i could not get the help i needed though the help email address, therefore, i took to social media to tell my story and that is when I got an immediate call, email, message, and an apology and received the full amount that was owed to me right away even though the guest did not pay airbnb. my faith is restored in airbnb because airbnb saved the day! thanks for all your support!

Simon170
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

you should not have had to resault to what you did! So Airbnb saved the day in desperasion!

i hope they respond to my socila media rant as i have not been paid for 7 visits in april and they still cant give me an answer why. my faith is lost in airbnb

That happend to me before. I use paypal for my automatic airbnb deposits. What actually happen was I changed my email address to my paypal account and forgot it was linked to my airbnb payments. So they kept making deposits. When I contacted paypal to find out about my payments, paypal basically had it on hold until I linked it back to my account. Now I have two email addresses on my paypal account just in case. Just check to see if anything has changed on whatever payment account you use with airbnb.

Did you go into accounts and see what is in your "Future Payouts".   it should be in there until you rectify bank details?   Then you just have to get them to send the money.... its a pain in the butt.  

Caraline0
Level 2
Ocean Shores, Australia

Jacob, 

What social media did you rant on? what page.   I need to do the same.   Has your issue been resolved yet?   

Many thanks. 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Jacob52, sorry you have not gotten adequate support and explanation from Airbnb about this. We fellow hosts can only give you limited advice, as we are not able to see the reservation form in question, the confirmed booking, the notice of payment, etc... so all I can advise you to do is contact Airbnb again, not via email but by calling them or by twitter.@airbnbhelp . they answer fast. have the confirmation number ready.

Also, when you look around just a bit, by googling Contact Airbnb or by finding the community guide on how to contact Airbnb ( use the search function here) , and especially educating yourself about the ins and outs about Airbnb rules and how it functions, then you might not be so quick to call them robbers. I never ever had a problem getting paid on time by Airnb, and there always is plenty of communication going on when to expect payment, etc..and like @Branka-and-Silvia0 said, the booking only gets confirmed by Airbnb when the payment is secured. Did you perhaps let those people in without a confirmed booking?

I also saw on your listing that you had a cancellation in early February. Do you know that carries penalties? Usually Airbnb subtracts that amount from the next booking a host has, so perhaps that penalty amount got subtracted from the rental amount you are expecting.

i could not get the help i needed though the help email address, therefore, i took to social media to tell my story and that is when I got an immediate call, email, message, and an apology and received the full amount that was owed to me right away even though the guest did not pay airbnb. my faith is restored in airbnb because airbnbn saved the day! thanks for all your support!