Airbnb's Protection of Hosts and Host's Property

Paul885
Level 2
Bellbowrie, Australia

Airbnb's Protection of Hosts and Host's Property

Hi Folks,

I have had quite a bad experience with a guest recently but have been further let down by Airbnb to try and resolve it.   The guest left my house a mess, left  broken furniture items and garbage strewn all over the house and there was  evidence of an unauthorised party.   I messaged the guest and asked him why he left the house that way.  He took exception to my asking him and then threatened to write a bad review.  He then did that and opened with "Very dishonest and greedy…. ".   He then went on to list non-existent issues and gave me a score of 1 on each of the items despite all of my 80 odd previous reviews being 5-star or slightly less.   The review was inaccurate, untruthful and was in retaliation for me calling out this guest.   Secondly, the review contains slander against me.    I tried to resolve this issue through airbnb but they have now come back and says that it doesn't violate any of their policies.   Where is the protection of Hosts who have supported their platform???   How can they allow clearly untruthful and inaccurate statements to stand?   Why can our houses be treated with contempt by guests without any support from Airbnb???

I'm really looking to this site/forum to see if anyone else has had this issue and to see what your experience has been.   Has anyone escalated these issues with any success or does Airbnb just wash its hands continually of these issues?    I have been a host with Airbnb for over 2 years (and a Superhost currently) and cannot believe that they treat hosts this way.

Regards

Paul

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul885 I am afraid that there is little chance of having the review removed as you will be told that it is the opinion of the guest.

I think your answer to the review is fine and will not stop new guests booking with you.

Hopefully, one day, Airbnb will come up with a concept whereby hosts with many good reviews can remove an outlier but don't hold your breath.

They said last year that this us exactly what they were introducing. @Mike-And-Jane0 

Paul885
Level 2
Bellbowrie, Australia

Thanks @Helen3 .   I thought the same and there have been a lot of promises since then.   As @Mike-And-Jane0 says, I won't be holding my breath. 

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 

It's the little things that make a difference and trust can so easily be broken.   Hopefully Airbnb are listening.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 All Airbnb did regarding outliers was to apparently warn a guest if they left a high rating for each criteria and a low rating overall. Not quite what was needed I am afraid.