Airbnb's entire site has been hacked!

Answered!
John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

Airbnb's entire site has been hacked!

It happens slowly, but then you finally KNOW that it is not just you, it is the "secure" Airbnb site, it has been hacked, and there is no one to contact.  It is as if they have created a duplicate website mirroring Airbnb's own platform, where you are circled around in an infinite loop.  The hackers eventually gain access to your account, they know your address, your bank account information, and the next thing to happen is they are going to have your money.  I am leaving and deleting my account now.  This has gotten ridiculous.  I just got a notification that I have a new support message, that I need to click on another link, where I will eventually end up speaking to no one or some hacker.  Airbnb can't be trusted.  I have told them over and over and no one cares...just wait It is going to get really bad , when there are no hosts there is no AIRBNB!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Best Answer

Just to update everyone, it was indeed Airbnb that I was speaking to and one of their employees is responsible for the hacking and trying to get into my bank account, as I was speaking with someone on the official Airbnb number to call.  While, I was on the phone with Airbnb, the other Airbnb tried to call me twice and left no message!  It looks like there is corruption within the company!!!!!!!  It is not as some of you people so nicely put it "any hosts should know not to.....".  Well, I have been a host since 2015 and have only gotten five star ratings, so spare me, please.   I had not called and asked for a call back from the other airbnb number, so why were they trying to call me (TWICE?).  Airbnb is somewhat aware of the situation, the best I can tell, they are investigating, but it appears there is a segment of Airbnb that has gone rogue!!!!   I just called the one number to say I have screenshots of everything that would show that I in fact called Airbnb, the same night I received text messages from my bank giving me a code to login, which I was not requesting.  The screenshot dates changed from July to June, but the bank knows exactly when they were sent, but honestly I'm over all of this!!!!!  Any company that would allow this to happen, and for two weeks blame the person who is making them money, is not a company I want any part of!  I'm outta here! 

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John28

Can you post a link for the duplicated site? 

Thanks

I am trying, but they are making it very difficult.   They aren't allowing me access to my screen shots. 

And the duplicate site says it is the "secure" airbnb site, but I went to change my listing off of autobook and it was making me agree to four things and the last one was "you will no longer have the ability to require guests to give positve reviews".  So, I just backed out of it cause I knew that was not right and they were messing with me, then the next page.  I go to try and change something or continue to the next page and the option to save or continue was not there,, or it was not highlighted and you could not click on it, so I just had to go back and you are sent constantly from one "real" site to the other "fake" site and there is no way to stop it, They continue to ask for you to login again to make comment so it took me hours to even post this, and now that they know they are not letting me access my screenshots.  I believe they are coming through the wi-fi, or I thought anyway..  I have changed my passwords so many times, I don't login any other way and then I get a request for a booking today for an extremely low price, plus I noticed they had changed the Wi-Fi the guest should see to my own personal wi-fi that I just bought a new router to have as if to say, nope you didn't stop us we still have your wi-fi!   The first sign was someone told me from Airbnb that I had two accounts and that I needed to change my default to savings, well I did, but the payment went to my checking, but it had been changed and not by me to paypal.  So, that is there ultimate goal is to steal your money out of paypal.  Heck, they have every bit of personal information on me at this point, so there is no idea what they can do next! 

I am also getting email from Airbnb support and when I try to reply, it says it can't be delivered, plus I can only see the first three or four words of what he has said.  This seems to be the only secure place I can go right now because they know I have figured the whole scheme out. 

So, I went to another browser to see if I could pull up airbnb and login and get you a link.  I am afraid to close this one down. (Chrome).  I went to Microsoft Edge and went to login and put the password in, and was immediately knocked off and told to reset my password. See, thats' what happens they tell you its the wrong password so you have to get a link that is  sent to you, which is what happened today, but before I had even changed my password I got a booking inquiry, and I was able to carry on a conversation with her.   Interestingly, I had not changed my password although it said I had, and every time she would send a message I would get two of the same messages as texts on my phone. 

Well, I finally found a screen shot showing what I have seen, and as soon as I tried to copy and paste it, the paste function didn't work.  Then I went back to open it and I was going to save it, I tried to open it several times and its a complete black screen or photo.

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

This sounds very familiar to the way Microsoft was describing how the DNC and the US election was hacked by Russia, almost entirely identical and I just wathced that tonight or yesterday now, I guess on MSNBC.  I have to get some sleep.  This will literally drive anyone insane.  Maybe someone will figure it out, but there is definitely something big happening here and I have no idea why I would be the only target since I don't even make that much money...

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@John28 It sounds to me like its your computer thats been hacked.

Well, if you think that then I guess my iphone 8 plus, i phone 8, and SE are also hacked but only when I try to use the Airbnb app, just a second ago I remembered that one of my iphones should have a picture of a screenshot of the agreement that "I will give up my instant book priviledge of requiring guests to give a positive review.", which the disappeared as soon as I tried to copy and paste it.  Now, the interesting thing about this is that you wouldn't have even really noticed it unless you were reading carefully, and it just so happens that my one and only trouble guest accused me of telling her she had to give me a good review, which was completely false.  They also left with my key and said they would send it to me in the mail, well after a couple of weeks and I  hadn't seen a key or heard from them, I contacted them through airbnb to get my key back and to request money for all the things they had stolen from me.  They sent an envelope with my address on it, of course with an image of a key that looked like it had been ripped out of the envelope.  Well, so either they lost the key, or they want to keep it for some reason, which now that I have thought about it.  They said they were coming from Texas, but had to stop in a town about twenty minutes away, and then the second night they were here their relatives came over and they took over my entire home. At any rate, it just so happened that yesterday when I logged on to change my password, I hadn't changed the password yet, but was just about to when I was contacted by someone wanting to book my place, somehow I got an email that said my password was changed and I didn't do it because after I finished talking with her, I went in and changed my password and got another email that said I had changed my password.  I had only changed my password once, but the entire time I was talking to this potential guests everytime she would send a message I would get it twice on my phone, but not on my laptop, and she didn't think that was strange or have anything to say about it.  Also, I know that I had that weekend set for 599 per night b/c it is a game day weekend vs UMass, and apparently my price was going to be 344 dollars for two nights? She was basically pointing out that she had changed that price now that I think about it, and maybe checking to see if I was home, who knows?  All I know is they have access to my wi-fi, and there story just wasn't adding up as to why they were driving from Texas to Athens, Ga in a day suddenly and then invited their entire family who were from who knows?  The thing was whenever I turned on my computer to change the password it was asking me for my old password and then the new one twice, well I was going to have to look in my book of passwords I have written down, then suddenly I get a message, and I am able to conversate without having to login, after it was over, it no longer wanted me to enter my old password just my new password twice, it said a link had been sent since I was having trouble.  Now, all of that may be coincidental, but I don't think so.  It may have nothing to do with her, but it is not very obvious.  It looks exactly like the airbnb site, it even says secure.  Oh, and it just occured to me that something odd happened with that guest, I was looking at my phone and by her name, as in what she had sent me said "you removed a ? after lol he does have it", then I click on it and there is nothing there.  Now, it is all making sense.  She was talking to one of those people she brought over here about the key they stole from me.  Well, it very well may be that they have hacked into my account and phone, but if they could do it then I am afraid to trust anyone with my wi-fi password, or key anymore. 

However, it can't be just them b/c the emails I would get from "airbnb" and the website looked exactly like secure airbnb website.  They could have been undercover Russian spies posing as Pentacostal Christians, just so I wouldn't think anything about it. There is no way that small crew could pull off a scam of this magnitude, and why on Earth would they pick me? I hadn't had a booking in over two years whenever they booked.  Who knows?  I'm no computer genius, but I know when I am on a site that appears to be airbnb and says it is, but just harder to navigate, and things keep getting changed around that something is up. 

I don't think so. Airbnb has confirm that I was hacked.

Judy134
Level 2
Seneca, SC

Yes, I was hacked as well. Still waiting for a refund for a trip I did not book or take. Airbnb is not reaching out to the victims. I have had to initiate any contact I have had with them.

Yeah, well maybe that is the case.  How did they do it?  Did they change your payout method and then take a trip on your money?

Yeah, I guess me posting Airbnb's entire site has been hacked got their attention.  It  was  going to actually impact them and their profit.  So, yeah makes complete sense. Interestingly, as soon as I posted this, I got the fifty dollars I was requesting from Airbnb for the lost key, that I had been waiting on, and I had to reach out to them first.  Yeah, it all makes sense now.