Airbnb saying we can no longer charge for dogs. That we will have to file a claim for charges.

Valerie709
Level 2
Rosburg, WA

Airbnb saying we can no longer charge for dogs. That we will have to file a claim for charges.

I've been an Airbnb host since 2015. For the first 2 yrs. we accepted guest with dogs. People did NOT follow the house rules for dogs. We had poo in the yard and driveway. Right where people would be getting out of their cars /unloading their cars. Several dogs poo in the house then I would have to get a carpet cleaner out there before the next guest came in. The let their dogs on the furniture. Again I would have to get a carpet cleaner out there to clean the dog odor out of the furniture. They would not leave their dogs on the enclosed back porch, with a heater to dry before letting them in the house. The dogs would shake off and get dirty spray all over the kitchen. I stopped allowing dogs after I got new carpet. This January marked the first time in 5 yrs. that we started booking guest with dogs. We charge a $75 fee for dogs. Now Airbnb says that we will no longer be allowed to charge for dogs. We will have to put it in our house rules and try to collect the fees ourselves by change if fee that the guest will have to accept or file a claim after their stay. This doesn't really work as I've had guest deny having dogs at the house even though I saw the dog.

What do other host think of this new Airbnb change.  I think one more right for the guest. One more time that Airbnb has taken the right away from the host.

1 Reply 1
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Valerie709   I am a little confused here.  Airbnb have indeed updated their policy with regards to pets.  You can now add a ‘Pet fee’ to your listing if you wish.  In addition, although you are still required to accept ‘service dogs (and you cannot charge for these) You are no longer required to accept Emotional Support Animals if you do not wish to, although there are a few locations where this does not apply.  Hope this helps.