Airbnb security deposit

Airbnb security deposit

Hello all! 
I have a question regarding security deposits. I want to charge a security deposit and I thought it was something that we asked for through Airbnb. After doing a little more research after posting my first listing I noticed finally where you can add that on. 
here’s my concern: I am renting my whole house that has brand new furnishings in it and I had spent a small portion of my retirement on. Ha ha most of my guest through the month of July I didn’t ask for a security deposit at all, again been a new host not understanding quite how that worked. I feel weird now asking people that are already booked for a deposit. Although I’m not as worried about getting a deposit from somebody that has many good reviews. 

my question would be if somebody messes up my new bedroom set or new mattress or whatever it may be and I have not required a security deposit, will  Airbnb help replace it or fix it? I was told by another host to require a deposit. And me being a newbie I’m still working my way around and figuring out how to work things on my listing.  They said after asking for deposits that the places were always left intact, less people stealing and picked up. I’m a little concerned because I have a quite a few guests coming next month that have little or no reviews and another guest that’s coming with six children and I didn’t charge for extra guests.
question number two. Do you charge for extra guest?  
thank you. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Deleted by poster.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Deanna169 Airbnb's security deposit is purely symbolic. They do not actually collect it, and whether you have a so-called security deposit or not any damage claim that the guest disputes will be arbitrated by Airbnb. If you watch this forum you will see many, many posts from hosts whose claims Airbnb denied, seemingly completely arbitrarily. So you really cannot count on Airbnb to make you whole in the event of damage. You must carry your own STR insurance (e.g. Proper or Foremost), and you should not make anything available to guests that it would kill you to lose.

Do carefully review the claims procedure.

You cannot go back to guests who have already booked and ask them for any kind of fee that was not disclosed before they booked.

How to set up your listing and vet guests to avoid problem scenarios is a topic of frequent discussion on this forum.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Deanna169 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

The "Host-required security deposits" section applies to you. Also read all the way through the Host Guarantee terms. Very important to know and understand it. The important thing to note is that Airbnb doesn't actually put a hold on the guest funds for the security deposit, and they make it very difficult for hosts to claim successfully against it. It's best not to rely on it.

Re "I am renting my whole house that has brand new furnishings in it and I had spent a small portion of my retirement on" This scares me. Best to furnish an Airbnb with items that are sturdy and durable and not too dear to you. Guests will be hard on your space and furniture, whether they mean to be or not. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tutorials/Tips-and-Tutorials-List-of-content/td-p/461774

There are helpful tips and tutorials on extra guest fees and more in the above link.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Deanna169 

Regarding extra guests:

Your listing says: max. 6 guests, so why is somebody allowed to come with 6 children ?

(The booking form can count 1 guest + 5 children max.).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Deanna169  Children over 2 years of age should be accounted for on the booking guest count, charged for, and count towards the maximum number of guests.