Airbnb service fee refund.

Answered!
Zhiran0
Level 1
Queens Park, Australia

Airbnb service fee refund.

Hello everyone 

I have a question.

Before I was looking at a house and planning a booking. Then this guy accepted my offer. Like around 20 min later he told me that it will cost extra and charged me extra $66 per night. So I cancelled the request. But the website did give back the refund but it took $60 service fee. Like wtf, Shouldn't he tell me that it will cost extra before he accept my offer? Do you know the contact number of this website.efore I was looking at a house and planning a booking. Then this guy accepted my offer. Like around 20 min later he told me that it will cost extra and charged me extra $66 per night. So I cancelled the request. But the website did give back the refund but it took $60 service fee. Like wtf, Shouldn't he tell me that it will cost extra before he accept my offer? Do you know the contact number of this website.

1 Best Answer
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You say you booked at one price and the reservation was confirmed. Then the host send you change request and in this case you should have declined the that change he requested and not cancelled your original booking as you did.

He cannot change or ask for more money unless you accept when a booking is confirmed. If you cancel its another matter and when cancelling a booking the fee's are non refundable. 

But get in touch with ABB via your cancelled booking at https://www.airbnb.com/help

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Zhiran0  Your reservation confirmation has a phone number on it, I believe.  You cancelled a reservation but you used Air BNB and Air BNB keeps the guest reservation fee.  As to the host requiring additional charges you can explain to Air BNB that it was unexpected and that you had to cancel.

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You say you booked at one price and the reservation was confirmed. Then the host send you change request and in this case you should have declined the that change he requested and not cancelled your original booking as you did.

He cannot change or ask for more money unless you accept when a booking is confirmed. If you cancel its another matter and when cancelling a booking the fee's are non refundable. 

But get in touch with ABB via your cancelled booking at https://www.airbnb.com/help

Thank you very much, I understand now. 

good luck with that!  OUR HOST CANCLED our reservation and we are being charged the airbnb service fee of $44!!!

I thought Airbnb was going to STOP  charging the service fee for canceled reservations, I am sure I got an email (as host and guest) stating this about a month ago. Did they refund your $44? Airbnb...is slipping, they are getting too big, too quickly, the only way to get answers is through TWITTER.

Lou29
Level 1
Matlock, United Kingdom

Can anyone advise me please? 

Prior to making a booking for 4 nights next Easter in the uk I asked the host whether we could pay an initial deposit followed by a further payment- to which she agreed. It appears we were both not aware of the automated payment issue. We have agreed to cancel the booking with a view to her amending the payment plan then rebook. This was not possible either. 

I have been charged £103 service fee for my mistake and if I rebook with Airbnb - I'm liable to pay this twice. I have emailed Airbnb to explain and ask for help with this situation. It doesn't make sense that the service fee is not 'set' at a certain price - and is instead a proportion of the total cost- surely this is unfair and potentially against statutory rights for the consumer? I haven't heard back from Airbnb yet but I'm wondering whether anyone has had any similar problems? I am both traveller and host with Airbnb and have had nothing but a smooth ride so far. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lou29 sorry you have had this experience, but it's quite clear on BNB's website that payment is taken in full at the time of booking.

Your host should certainly have known this.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/92/when-am-i-charged-for-a-reservation?checkin=19-11-2016&chec...

If you still want to go ahead with the booking through BNB you will need to pay in full when you book.

Why don't you give them a call, explain that you acted on (bad) advice from your host and see if you can reinstate the booking? (1st post community help if you don't have contact details)

I don't see anything unfair about the booking fee being a percentage of your booking cost.

If you want to pay a deposit - you will need to find another accommodation website. 

I AM WITH YOU. The percentage system is unfair to those who book more long term.  Airbnb need to be more aware of what their hosts and guests think about the service.

Stacey45
Level 1
Andover, NH

I cancelled a reservation, and the host's policy for cancellations is flexible. I was refunded the host's fee, but not the AirBnB fee, which is apparently refundable three times/year. I have only cancelled once before. How shall I get the $18 refunded? Thank you.

@Stacey45

I believe it may depend on when you made your booking - before or after the implementation of the new cancellation policy rules.  

Beijing0
Level 1
Oxford, United Kingdom

I have exactly the same problem! How did Airbnb solve the problem? 

Hi!

I have just checked and the 36€ are still shown in my transaction history as if they were to be transferred the day they should have arrived. I guess that airbnb will take them straight away?

As their stay was only planned for new year's eve, it could take a while until I will be able to tell you how this has been solved.

Greetings,
Judith.

I have the same problem. How does AirBnB refund up to 3 times per year exactly? The website seems like a maze to go through with no real satisfactory way to speak with anyone or get tranparency on this.

HELP!

Judith107
Level 6
Ernzen, Germany

Hi.

I received a booking request yesterday and at the same time a message asking me to block the requested dates until tomorrow when they would take their final decision. I thought the simplest way to do that would be to accept the booking request and then refund the total amount if they decided to cancel.

Now they told me they cannot come and on the one hand I was told I will be paid 993 euros, on the other hand the resolution center tells me the maximum amount to refund is 1029 euros. The service fee is what makes the difference. My questions are thus

- Will Airbnb refund them the service fee or do I have to refund it but in that case I would loose money, wouldn-t I?...

- What shall I do if I get a booking request including the typical airbnb 24hours deadline to accept it but at the same time I am being told that they only want to block the dates until they have decided?

Thanks so much for any help. 

Judith.