Airbnb support does not reply and I do not know what to do to get my money back

Mustafa80
Level 2
Cairo Governorate, Egypt

Airbnb support does not reply and I do not know what to do to get my money back

My reservation was approved automatically, then I messaged the host through Airbnb but he did not answer. 

After 24 hours I messaged the host through his whatsaap number, and his answer was ((I'm sorry the place is not available and I did not receive any reservation on Airbnb to accept, it must be a mistake)).

It is a week now, and still no answer from Airbnb support team. I messaged them more than five messages.

Is there anything I can do?

Is it possible to file a complaint through a third party, like the bank? 

6 Replies 6
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mustafa80 

I'm confused. Did you use Instant Book or did you send a request to book to the host?

If you used Instant Book, the host does not need to accept, so what the host is saying makes no sense. 

If you sent a Request to Book, it is not actually a booking. The host is supposed to either accept or decline it within 24 hours but, if they do neither, the request will expire after 24 hours and no booking has been made.

However, if you had the host's WhatsApp number (I assume you mean mobile/cell), you must have had a booking as contact details are not shared on the system until a booking is made. If a booking has been made, it would show up on your Airbnb account (and the correspondence thread with the host) as confirmed. Also, have you checked your payment method to see if money was taken?

Right now it is really difficult to get any timely response from Airbnb customer services. If I was you, I would try to call them and get someone on the line as they can sometimes take weeks to respond to messages.

Also, it's really important to keep messaging on the Airbnb system as proof of the discussion with the host. I know that you didn't get a response, so had to WhatsApp him, but follow this up on the Airbnb message system reconfirming what you discussed so that you have it there as evidence.

Mustafa80
Level 2
Cairo Governorate, Egypt

@Huma0 

Yes it was an Instant Book, I didn't use it as an option in my search, but this place was one of those instantly booking places.

Also I have the payment receipt.

I hope the host is not lying and it's a system problem. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mustafa80 

Yes, it could well be a system problem. There are some weird glitches from time to time. Or, as @Sarah977  said, perhaps the host didn't even know he had instant book turned on. That happened to me when I first listed my place...

Maybe ask him?

Mustafa80
Level 2
Cairo Governorate, Egypt

@Huma0 

Finally, I've got a response from Airbnb support, and they have processed the refund back to my credit card.

Now I'm waiting for my credit card company to finish the refund process, it may take 5-15 business days.

They didn't tell me the exact reason for this problem, but it doesn't matter now.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mustafa80  Huma has given you good advice.  Also, yes, talk to your bank or credit card company, however you paid, and see if they can reverse the charges or stop payment. Airbnb has been a total gong show lately, so it's even possible that the host's account got Instant Book turned on without his knowledge (lots of host's account settings have been getting turned on or off without them having done anything), so he's confused. Or if it shows as a new listing, maybe he doesn't understand how Instant Book works- that he doesn't have to accept- it's automatic.

Mustafa80
Level 2
Cairo Governorate, Egypt

@Sarah977 

Thanks, and I really hope it's a system problem, I think that would be easier for Airbnb to solve this problem an refund me!!!

Anyway I'm going to talk to the bank to see if they can do something.