Airbnb with VERY Noisy Hosts

Sami67
Level 2
Miami, FL

Airbnb with VERY Noisy Hosts

Hello,

I am staying in an Airbnb (solo guest) and the hosts (1 young host living with 3 young friends) are VERY noisy. They have the TV always super loud, laughing, playing music, talking loud until 5am in the morning. I literally cannot sleep. It is a place I booked for 13 nights, it has flexible policy so I can get a refund if I cancel for remaining nights.

I don't know what to do. I feel I shouldn't ask them how to act in their home, even if it means asking to be a little more quiet. I've stayed in many Airbnb's, this is the first where I feel consideration to the guest sleeping is not taken into consideration! I don't know how I can last the rest of the stay here.

What should I do? I am messaging this around 4am+ while listening to the hosts laughing and talking and can't sleep as a result.

14 Replies 14
Brev0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Sami, it is possible the Hosts are celebrating a family occasion,  just go to them after midnight if they are still making too much noise and ask them politely to tone it down.

I have had parties and celebrations but we always let the guests know and invite them to join in and have had great responses and reviews from our guests.

Failing a responsible response to tone the noise down especially after midnight, move out and leave an appropriate review.

Honestly, it is not a family occasion, it's 1 young host living with her 3 friends and they have been drinking and been noisy as if a guest is not in their home. Even when it's not so late, they BLAST the TV on high volumes along with music. I am just shocked that there is no consideration. It is 5AM right now and they are STILL talking, laughing, and just turned on the TV!! What a joke.

Out of self respect, I am just going to cancel, have another reservation setup somewhere else, and leave.

I'll simply kindly let her know why I cancelled after the fact is done.

@Sami67  You are correct, this is not a normal situation, most often its the host that warns guests the quiet hours are from 9.30 pm to 8.30am. You should cancel since its flexible and relocate. Your review should warn future guests about a noisy household. They have shown no respect to their guest in this case.

You are 100% correct.

Wil13
Level 2
Zoetermeer, Netherlands

The only way to deal with this is indeed to find another place to stay and give them a poor review, as they are clearly very bad hosts that don't give a **bleep** about their guests, if there is one thing i can't tolerate is robbing guests from their sleep! Especially if they have to work or are on their well earned vacation!

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

This is one of the reasons I don't have any TVs in my home.  You should move out and leave them a bad review.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As a host, I tip-toe around as if walking on eggshells when guests are around!

You've got a duff one here, @Sami67. Move on. 

Jim1430
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I know my reply is 1-1/2 years later but it applies. I am currently in an Airbnb in Puerto Vallarta that I rented for three months. In the description, the host said that there was street traffic, which is no problem to me. What he did not say is that he stays up every night till 2am blasting away his big screen TV. My inner does not allow me to sleep past 7:30am, so I average about 4 hrs at best. He is in his 50s and does not work, so his routine is not going to change. I have been here a week and need to wait three more weeks before I have the money to go somewhere else. Until then I have my phone next to my pillow playing loud white noise. It does not help me sleep, but it at least helps block out that annoying TV. After I leave I will see if AirBnB can do anything for me, but they are really pro host, so I am not holding my breath.

@Jim1430 

Im not sure where you got the idea that airbnb are pro host, but they most definitely are not. Generally they bend over backwards to accommodate a guest, to the point of being ridiculous.

What sort of cancellation policy does your host have?

also have you tired speaking to your host and asking if it's possible for him to turn down the TV a little?

He does sound remarkably inconsiderate, but still it would be realistic to at least give him an opportunity to adjust his behaviour instead of just assuming that he won't change.

If however he seems unco operative or the noise continues, you are well within your rights to contact Airbnb CS adn tell them your difficulties. I would be astounded if they did not take proactive action on your behalf-most likely helping you to cancel with a refund and move elsewhere.

For the record, even though this thread is relevant to your situation, because it is so old, you would have been better off creating a new one - as your post is buried at the bottom of an old conversation.  I only came across it by chance

Good luck with this adn hope you have a better experience one way or the other very soon.

ps in the interim you can buy very cheap disposable ear plugs at a chemist - of course you shouldnt' HAVE to do this - but in the very short term if it means you are at least getting a bit of sleep it might be worthwhile?

Regards

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why haven't you spoken to the host about this. If he has paying guests this is not reasonable.

He should get headphones for his TV.

Presumably you have tried ear plugs and this hasn't worked for.

As @Rowena29 advised a) speak to the host b) if he won't change his behaviour ask Airbnb to cancel and help you find alternative accommodation.

Airbnb is definitely not pro host.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jim1430  If you haven't mentioned it to the host, you need to. He may be totally unaware that it is disturbing you., not that he just doesn't care. He might be one of those people that could sleep through a bombing and thinks everyone can. Also, Airbnb protocol when the guest has an issue is to tell the host and give them an opportunity to address it before cancelling or calling Airbnb. If you were doing something that disturbed the host, I'm sure you would prefer to be told, so you could change your behavior, rather than just get kicked out or get a bad review.

I had a friend who was trying to sleep one night (also in Mexico) and there was blasting loud music coming from a house across the street. It was 2 AM and he finally walked over and knocked on the door. He didn't know if there was a party going on, or what, but someone yelled "entra" and he opened the door to find one guy, all by himself, sitting at the kitchen table, with the stereo blasting. My friend explained politely that it was so loud he couldn't sleep and the guy said "I'm really sorry" and turned it right down. It never occurred to him that he was disturbing anyone. It pays to ask rather than suffer.

As far as not having the money to get another place, if he won't turn the TV down, you can call Airbnb, and they may apply the rest of your booking fee to another place.

I'd bet your host would prefer to be told and will be amenable to turning it down, rather than having you cancel the rest of your booking or leave a bad review. Give him a chance to do the right thing. Maybe he can use some headphones.

P.s. I never travel without earplugs. But I know there are some sounds that even earplugs don't block out.

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

I feel sorry for you. I am also very sensitive to music and sound   . After going though very uncomfortable conversations with music loving neighbours at rentals ..we found that a nice strong floor fan put next to our bed  helped a lot to disperse noise and help  to relax us  

Sometimes feeling indignant about this person crossing your personal space with his sounds is making you stressed and sleepless. .

See if you can buy something not too expensive and if host complains about electricity use...tell him it is your way of coping with noise levels. 

I hope you sleep better soon. 

Ps

If you cannot take the fan with you back home because of travel allowances..donate to a bussines or sell it off online

Deirdre110
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

I am currently a guest for 5 weeks in Lausanne . On my first night the 20 year old daughter had a party with no adult supervision . The family come and go all night between 12.00 and 3 am . The kitchen is above my room and the constant noise disturbs my sleep . I asked the host if she wouldn’t mind toning this noise down . She says that I am over sensitive and no one has complained before . She won’t refund or change my booking and continues to make noise . What do I do

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As others have said on the duplicate post you made about this issue. @Deirdre110 

Do what you did last time you stayed somewhere and you had a noise complaint. Contact Airbnb and ask them to help you relocate.

Not sure what the Covid regulations are in Switzerland but no-one should be holding parties during Covid, particularly in a shared space with guests.