Airbnb won't accept my phone number

Airbnb won't accept my phone number

I just signed up for Airbnb but when it asks to verify my phone number I get the message "sorry something went wrong" or "this phone number is not supported."  I've had this phone number since 2003 (cell phone) and my carrier is Xfinity Mobile which it should be supported.  I can't call the support line because it won't take my call unless I have a phone number on file, which it won't accept.

Anyone else have this problem?

18 Replies 18
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Anonymous & welcome to ABB CC from a Host across the miles in New Zealand.

Have you tried using related keywords here in the CC search of to see if others have had similar issues with this?

Sometimes it makes a difference if you include the area code or try different versions of it.

Have you logged out & cleared your cache & tried again?

Sometimes that works.

There's also been another similar topic started this week which may suggest it's an IT glitch.

@Nick @Liv @Lizzie 

Tamara572
Level 1
Carnation, WA

same problem. I you just wait on the customer support line , it will give up asking for your number and connect you to an agent.  who will then tell you that airbnb has a bucket of phone numbers and yours ins't in it.  mine either 16 years with sprint.  airbnb keeps texting. me codes to initialize my account .  no problem using my number for that. but it won't accept the phone number to finalize opening my account or complete my booking.        their suggestion was try a different browser or the app. no luck there either.    

you need to go and click on your picture on the right top corner. Then click on account and add or change your phone number there first. 

That worked thank you

I did that and it still didn’t work. Customer served was no help, just saying they were extremely sorry. Very frustrating. Ended up booking through Vacasa. 

Had the same problem recently. I called the customer service line thinking they could take my payment over the phone and complete the reservation but instead was told to try a different number. I tried 5 other cell phone numbers of my family members (different carriers) and still nothing. I was told it was caused by the phone carrier. @Tamara572 

Same here with my Houston, TX Sprint cell #. I'm trying to book a US property and AirBnB won't accept my Sprint cell #.  Says it "isn't supported" or some other error message.  I've tried online and via the app.  No luck.  I also tried Help chat and they were no help at all!  

Yes!! Just has the same exact experience. My phone number is not accepted. Now what?? And it won’t let me join this conversation 

@Kelly1387 I had the same problem, not letting me add my phone number below the add comment section about why we are going. Customer Service was no help also. I was told to just keep trying different numbers until it worked. We ended up booking a different home through Vacasa. But seems like they still haven’t solved the problem since I just had it happen to me.

Dana993
Level 1
Puyallup, WA

This just happened to me as well. I cannot book because it won't accept my number.  I tried .you husband, no luck either.  

Vinay51
Level 1
Germantown, MD

Has this been solved cause I can’t book either even when I select the correct area code. Also when does the 24 hours wait period end cause it doesn’t notify me about that either. This is not looking good Airbnb. 

36162E33-3323-4268-8AA5-00EE8701EF6E.jpeg

Having the issue now - can't finish my booking because of phone number registration. 

Same thing, can't finish my booking.  Error is "We can't send a code to this phone number.  Try using a different one".   This is my only phone number, and it just worked to reset my password and validate my account.  

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Just go to VRBO and it will let you book... not even joking. Found the same property and booked. Should probably fix that Airbnb. SMH