@Airbnb

Caroline1992
Level 1
Abilene, TX

@Airbnb

We had guests who were in the Airbnb the day before they were scheduled to check in. So the guests who were scheduled for that day came to check in, there was someone already there. It was a very disconcerting event. The wrong guests left, but it was no longer perfect for the guests who were supposed to be there. 

The Airbnb is next to our house on our private road, so I have the door unlocked and leave the key on the table. 

Pleas advise. Caroline

8 Replies 8
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

“The Airbnb is next to our house on our private road, so I have the door unlocked and leave the key on the table.”

@Caroline1992 You need to change this way of doing things. You need more control and a way to restrict access. Either keep the door locked and start doing in person check in, or install a keypad lock system, used in a way that doesn’t allow access until just before check in. 

@Caroline1992 Hopefully you have sorted this out with both of your Guests, we also live next door and use a very simple lock box. We have had a few Guests who have arrived extra early without notice and I find it to be very rude of them as they should be fully aware of checkin and checkout times. (lucky we have had no over lapping as you have had). We have had to change the way we give access to the key a couple of times already. One being the key goes into the lockbox about an hour before checkin time. If the Guest arrives earlier than expected we let the them know in a nice way. “Your a bit early” 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Caroline1992  Lock the door and leave the key somewhere else.  That way you can control when guests can gain access by when you give them instructions on where to find the key.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Caroline1992  I don't quite understand, if you live next door, how you could have been unaware that there were people in the house who didn't belong there.

As others have said, your entry system is odd and needs to be changed.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am surprised that this problem has not happened before, @Caroline1992 .  You have an adorable guest house and almost 300 reviews with a 4.9 rating!  It must be that your wonderful small town trust (leave the doors unlock) has never been tested and I am sorry to see that go away.  Still travel patterns are changing for us all, so many of  us have to take a different approach to interacting with guests.  Hope you are able to use the suggestions provided by other hosts.  

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Caroline1992  How could you not know that there were guests in your AirBnB who were not intended to be there? 

What @Colleen253 said is spot on. It's irresponsible to have no control measures in place regarding access to your property. The "very disconcerting" event is entirely your responsibility. I'm not sure what you're expecting AirBnB to "advise."

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Was it an error in their part or did they just change their luck and arrive a day early. 

I’d suggest a gift basket for the current guests with some tasty treats in there. 

Caroline1992
Level 1
Abilene, TX

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.