Aircanada cancels flights

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

Aircanada cancels flights

We have a guest arriving soon. Aircanada has cancelled their flights. Is this an extenuating circumstance where Airbnb will let the guest cancel free of charge?
Or should he have travel insurance for this?
Relevant is that aircanada announced the cancellation on january 5 and the guest reached out today and is supposed to arrive 30 days from now.
Cancellationrestriction: "hard":

Full refund if cancelled up to 30 days before arrival. If you book less than 30 days before arrival, you will receive a full refund if you cancel within 48 hours of booking and at least 14 days before arrival. Thereafter, if you cancel up to seven days before arrival you will receive a 50% refund. If you wait any longer, you will not receive a refund.

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bob297  Cancelled flights do not fall under the extenuating circumstances policy.

I don't understand you saying the guest is arriving "soon", then you say in 30 days. 

From what it sounds like, the guest did squeak in just in time for a full refund- cancelled 30 days before check-in. So the EC policy is irrelevant. The guest will get a full refund minus the Airbnb service fee, which they will retain.

And just because the guest's Air Canada flight was cancelled doesn't mean they couldn't find another flight. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are there any other airlines the guest could use to get to you? @Bob297 

Yolanda450
Level 2
Sint Michiel, Curaçao

@Helen3 
I wish I knew.
If I use Skyscanner to find out, I still get 95% of the cases flights with aircanada. On the website of aircanada it still shows that they have canceled the flights, due to corona

I found an alternative via united. The guest have to change airport and the flight takes 16 hours instead of 7

@Sarah977 

Yes, for me 30 days is relatively soon. For most of our guests, it takes a 9-hour flight to come to our accommodations. it "never" happens that guests book for arrival within 30 days. So it will be nearly impossible to fill the gap.
On average guests book 6 months in advance

apologise: I answered with another login. This is Bob

@Yolanda450  I understand. I also have a listing that usually gets booked weeks or at least a month in advance. Rebooking dates on short notice isn't likely.

But it seems you can't really do anything about this cancellation- she cancelled exactly 30 days before check-in, right? So she would be fully refunded according to your policy.